Advice for Insanity

Options
I know this is quite a common thread, but I would like to start another.

I am thinking of starting Insanity. I have been working out for almost six months now, starting out with the easier turbo jam exercises, then the harder ones, then moving on to the 30 Day Shred, then my own circuit training and now Jillian Micheal's Blast Fat Boost Metabolism workout. My fitness level has definitely improved from when I started, but I don't know if my body could handle insanity based on what i've read. I'd like to ask a few things please:

1. Is there anyone out there who was not INCREDIBLY fit when they started insanity? I mean, did you get through insanity mostly because of physical strength or willpower?
2. Did you increase your calories drastically while doing insanity?

I really want to take my weightloss/fitness journey to the next level. Any advice/ encouragement would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I was quite fit when I started Insanity, but you don't have to be. Don't go as fast as the people in the video, go at your own pace, pause when you need to, and work up to it. You'll be proud of yourself as you see your stamina, strength, etc. improve. Finishing the workouts will give you a sense of accomplishment and boost your self confidence!

I did increase my calories while doing Insanity, but I was eating too low and I'm pretty much on maintenance...so it really depends on your situation.

What calories are you at and what's your weight and height?
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm basically starting from almost near the bottom. I got back into working out for a month (Ten Minute Trainer) before starting Insanity from January 1st. Glad I did that, first.

I ain't fit, getting there though. And I'm doing Insanity to Asylum through the end of this year.

Insanity, Round 1, Month 2. Now heading into week 2. I'm following the program to the letter (99%). And yeah, it's working. Follow the diet, keep your macros in check, do the workouts, get your rest, etc, etc.

6'1/73 in.
    268.8 lbs (next weigh in is in 18 hours, so that might be lower now)
    Age 31

I get through Insanity, because I don't give up. Willpower always plays a huge part outside of the physicality. It's like how I got my Shodan in Karate way back when (Street Fighter was still in arcades, lets put it that way. Interesting times to be playing Karate then. Heian Godan kata and Nijushiho kata motions reminds me of the game).

You know how you get that? A black belt is a white belt WHO NEVER GAVE UP.

No retreat, no surrender.

Godspeed to you and add me if you wish, miss.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was quite fit when I started Insanity, but you don't have to be. Don't go as fast as the people in the video, go at your own pace, pause when you need to, and work up to it. You'll be proud of yourself as you see your stamina, strength, etc. improve. Finishing the workouts will give you a sense of accomplishment and boost your self confidence!

I did increase my calories while doing Insanity, but I was eating too low and I'm pretty much on maintenance...so it really depends on your situation.

What calories are you at and what's your weight and height?

Thanks so much for your response to my post!

I eat around 1600 cals a day, I'm 5"5 and my CW is 141 lbs
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    I'm basically starting from almost near the bottom. I got back into working out for a month (Ten Minute Trainer) before starting Insanity from January 1st. Glad I did that, first.

I ain't fit, getting there though. And I'm doing Insanity to Asylum through the end of this year.

Insanity, Round 1, Month 2. Now heading into week 2. I'm following the program to the letter (99%). And yeah, it's working. Follow the diet, keep your macros in check, do the workouts, get your rest, etc, etc.

6'1/73 in.
    268.8 lbs (next weigh in is in 18 hours, so that might be lower now)
    Age 31

I get through Insanity, because I don't give up. Willpower always plays a huge part outside of the physicality. It's like how I got my Shodan in Karate way back when (Street Fighter was still in arcades, lets put it that way. Interesting times to be playing Karate then. Heian Godan kata and Nijushiho kata motions reminds me of the game).

You know how you get that? A black belt is a white belt WHO NEVER GAVE UP.

No retreat, no surrender.

Godspeed to you and add me if you wish, miss.

Thanks for this! Will definitely take you up on your offer :)
  • bradleythomas3
    Options
    I have done the regular Insanity once... and I was outta shape by my standards considering I played college football. It wore me out. But its possible to do it. Go at your own pace, take breaks when you need to. If you cant do the entire session, dont beat yourself up. It will take time to work up to. Its all about how you do the exercises, NOT how much you do. Correct form will go along way. Once you have completed Insanity, entirely, then there is Insantiy Asylum. Which is geared toward athlete's workouts and will kick you butt. But if you got the motivation to do it, go for it!
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    I have done the regular Insanity once... and I was outta shape by my standards considering I played college football. It wore me out. But its possible to do it. Go at your own pace, take breaks when you need to. If you cant do the entire session, dont beat yourself up. It will take time to work up to. Its all about how you do the exercises, NOT how much you do. Correct form will go along way. Once you have completed Insanity, entirely, then there is Insantiy Asylum. Which is geared toward athlete's workouts and will kick you butt. But if you got the motivation to do it, go for it!

Thank you for this :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont think i was 'incredibly' fit at all when i started insanity! my fitness has definitely improved... a lot of it is mind over matter once you get going, but then shaun t is really good at getting you to push!

i was at maintenance before i started and now i am eating NET 1800 to try and lose a little bodyfat, i am 5ft5 and 130ish lbs. if i remember rightly insanity reccomends you eat at least 1800 cals because it is such an intense workout.
  • greeenerone
    Options
    I thought I was relatively fit when I started insanity but I found out that I really wasn't. When I got my HRM two weeks into insanity, I couldn't keep within my zone but now at the end of week 7, I am in zone for most of the routines, I can do more push-ups than when I started and my stamina is amazing.

Diet-wise, I have no answer, I haven't figured out the mathematics yet, so I have it at 1500 with the intention of eating back my exercise calories but I rarely need to because I am full most times, but when I was new to insanity and MFP, I tried 1200 and it was terrible, I was constantly hungry.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't think youll have a problem. Im in fair shape. My core muscles are week. I made it through month one. I stopped month two after three day only because I have to be careful what stomach muscles I pull because I have a tube that runs into my stomach from surgery for life, so I have to be careful and think I over did it. As long as your eating back calories burned you'll be OK.
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I am in Week 3 and have done it before a year or so ago. I have a friend doing it who was not fit and she is pushing through! You may need to modify some of the moves or take a couple extra breaks and that's OK!! Just push through till the end and with each workout, you will get stronger and be able to do more!! Then, in that moment that you complete it, you will have the best feeling of all! You accomplished something that you were skeptical you couldn't do! You will be sore and that's OK!! It just means changes are happening!! Feel free to add me!! I love new friends!!!
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just started week 3 of Month 1 of Insanity. Loving it btw. We are about the same... I started about 142lbs, I'm 5'4"....oh, and I turn 50 in a month. So by our society's standards, I'm no spring chicken. Back fat and belly fat are the challenges that come with age..and they are mine. So, I was eating really healthy about 1200 cals at the start of Insanity. But I had NOT worked out in..a very long time! 2 weeks PRIOR to Insanity, I got off my butt and started working out for the first time in over a year (ugh). Started off with Shaun T's miracle 15 min workout to find I was in AWFUL shape, HORRIBLE core! But I managed to do it 3 consecutive days and found I already improved after 3 times! It gave me the incentive to get serious and tried P90X for 3 days (already had the program for a few years collecting dust). After some research I decided to get Insanity, and go for the results in 60 days to be leaner, and then will either do round 2 or start P90X for some muscle definition and more strength. I get through the workouts! Nope, not as fast as they are...I do what I can. From that perspective, anyone can do what they can...but push yourself. And slowly found I can do more than when I started. As for eating, I'm not following the nutrition guide to the T, but I do eat well and very healthy (clean). In the beginning I had a HEC OF A TIME trying to even get in 1200 cals. Now, I bought some higher cal stuff like mozzarella, ground chicken, cottage cheese (and all add protein!) and having a protein shake after my workout within 30 minutes. I find I'm not sore the next day.

Fast forward to now... Looking forward to finishing Month 1. He is still motiviating as I have him blasting through my speakers like he's inside my head. I'm eating about 1500 cals now so no longer in maintenance mode of 1200! I'm more hungry so I eat more! Besides you just can't do it on 1200 cals. You won't see results, and that will defeat the purpose and your hard work. And here I am I think I'm supposed to eat more (1800), and I'm still trying to get my calories intake up there. I do believe though that taking in more calories will do more to help lose weight.I invested in a heart rate monitor (and loving that too), and highly suggest you get one. I know how many calories I burn (approx 370 cals=40 min for Month 1 workouts). I am down about 2 pounds starting week 3. Definitely stronger. I'm choosing NOT to focus on the weight loss in Month 1, instead believing that the results will come in Month 2 where the real work happens. From what I've read, Month 1 is about building up the endurance, muscle and strength to prepare for Month 2, which is supposed to be 2X as hard. It's not to scare you (hec, I am not in Month 2, but I'm preparing myself mentally for a big challenge ahead) But I believe that you don't have to be in great shape to do Insanity. Do your best, push yourself to do more, keep the form...because we don't want to hurt ourselves. I can't speak to joint problems or back problems...I thought I had knee issues, but with strengthening my quads, I don't seem to notice knee pain anymore. But that's just me. Everyone has a different situation, different body and different tolerance. I do think it might be worthwhile to strengthen the muscles around the joints and back first and that will help when engaging in ANY exercise, not just Insanity...want to be safe.

Anyone doing Insanity please feel free to add me... I really am loving it, never thought I could do it watching those infomercials over these years...but here I am almost 50. It's looking like I might be in the best shape of my life after this. I've got my eye on the prize and really encouraged by people who've done it and have transformed themselves... I say do it :)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600 cals a day, I'm 5"5 and my CW is 141 lbs
    [/quote]

I'm starting week 5 tonight. I love it. As far as being fit to do Insanity? Not really all that necessary. I'm 5'4", started at 186, down to 179, right of the lazy couch to doing these videos. I'll be damned if I don't finish this either!! I was talking about it with a friend when I had finished the first week and was told "so and so quit after the first month because they couldn't do it. If they can't do it then you should give up and try something different." That right there is all the motivation I need, tell me I can't do something, humphf!

Definitely make sure you are eating enough. I still am having to adjust how much and what I am eating. Your body will let you know if it isn't enough.

Enjoy!
  • SunnyE22
    SunnyE22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is so good to read! I popped in here hoping I could find some advice, too. I am overweight and in so-so shape....or so I thought before starting Insanity. I am 5'8" and 195lbs. I want to lose 45lbs to get to 150. I've been there before and I beleive that's my ideal weight. I was a size 6 and loved it.

Anyway, I just started week 2 of Insanity today. It's HARD, but awesome! I have never been sorer in my life, but it felt so good that I knew it was working! Like so many previous posters have said, just do what you can. Even the people on the DVD working out with Shawn T rest and can't make it through the entire workout. Heck, even Shawn T rests every now and then. Anyone can do it. You do need to push yourself but he also encourages resting when you need.

Good luck!
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I am beginning week 4 of Insanity today. I am supposed to be on maintenance for my weight, however, since starting Insanity I am still losing 1.5 lbs per week. I increased my calories again to 1750, so hopefully this week I can remain the same. Insanity is a tough cardio workout, therefore I would recommend that you eat enough during the day if you don't have too much to lose. Go at your pace and keep up your fluid intake during the day as you will sweat a lot during this workout.

Good luck with Insanity, I know you will enjoy it . If you need extra support, you can add me to your list.
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    You can do it! I am in Week 3 and have done it before a year or so ago. I have a friend doing it who was not fit and she is pushing through! You may need to modify some of the moves or take a couple extra breaks and that's OK!! Just push through till the end and with each workout, you will get stronger and be able to do more!! Then, in that moment that you complete it, you will have the best feeling of all! You accomplished something that you were skeptical you couldn't do! You will be sore and that's OK!! It just means changes are happening!! Feel free to add me!! I love new friends!!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I will definitely give it a try
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    Hi,
    I just started week 3 of Month 1 of Insanity. Loving it btw. We are about the same... I started about 142lbs, I'm 5'4"....oh, and I turn 50 in a month. So by our society's standards, I'm no spring chicken. Back fat and belly fat are the challenges that come with age..and they are mine. So, I was eating really healthy about 1200 cals at the start of Insanity. But I had NOT worked out in..a very long time! 2 weeks PRIOR to Insanity, I got off my butt and started working out for the first time in over a year (ugh). Started off with Shaun T's miracle 15 min workout to find I was in AWFUL shape, HORRIBLE core! But I managed to do it 3 consecutive days and found I already improved after 3 times! It gave me the incentive to get serious and tried P90X for 3 days (already had the program for a few years collecting dust). After some research I decided to get Insanity, and go for the results in 60 days to be leaner, and then will either do round 2 or start P90X for some muscle definition and more strength. I get through the workouts! Nope, not as fast as they are...I do what I can. From that perspective, anyone can do what they can...but push yourself. And slowly found I can do more than when I started. As for eating, I'm not following the nutrition guide to the T, but I do eat well and very healthy (clean). In the beginning I had a HEC OF A TIME trying to even get in 1200 cals. Now, I bought some higher cal stuff like mozzarella, ground chicken, cottage cheese (and all add protein!) and having a protein shake after my workout within 30 minutes. I find I'm not sore the next day.

Fast forward to now... Looking forward to finishing Month 1. He is still motiviating as I have him blasting through my speakers like he's inside my head. I'm eating about 1500 cals now so no longer in maintenance mode of 1200! I'm more hungry so I eat more! Besides you just can't do it on 1200 cals. You won't see results, and that will defeat the purpose and your hard work. And here I am I think I'm supposed to eat more (1800), and I'm still trying to get my calories intake up there. I do believe though that taking in more calories will do more to help lose weight.I invested in a heart rate monitor (and loving that too), and highly suggest you get one. I know how many calories I burn (approx 370 cals=40 min for Month 1 workouts). I am down about 2 pounds starting week 3. Definitely stronger. I'm choosing NOT to focus on the weight loss in Month 1, instead believing that the results will come in Month 2 where the real work happens. From what I've read, Month 1 is about building up the endurance, muscle and strength to prepare for Month 2, which is supposed to be 2X as hard. It's not to scare you (hec, I am not in Month 2, but I'm preparing myself mentally for a big challenge ahead) But I believe that you don't have to be in great shape to do Insanity. Do your best, push yourself to do more, keep the form...because we don't want to hurt ourselves. I can't speak to joint problems or back problems...I thought I had knee issues, but with strengthening my quads, I don't seem to notice knee pain anymore. But that's just me. Everyone has a different situation, different body and different tolerance. I do think it might be worthwhile to strengthen the muscles around the joints and back first and that will help when engaging in ANY exercise, not just Insanity...want to be safe.

Anyone doing Insanity please feel free to add me... I really am loving it, never thought I could do it watching those infomercials over these years...but here I am almost 50. It's looking like I might be in the best shape of my life after this. I've got my eye on the prize and really encouraged by people who've done it and have transformed themselves... I say do it :)

Thank you for taking the time to write down your story in detail! this is really very encouraging!
  • toni429
    toni429 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am just starting insanity add me if you want I could use the encouragement ???? only going on day 2 yes I jam 50 but love to try to keep in shape.