Taking the Plunge to Eat Clean

Options
Just wondering what others think on this:

So if I decide to take the plunge to eat totally clean with one cheat meal per week, I really shouldn't need MFP now should I? It would alleviate the time having to look up all these "clean foods" and would make more time to focus more on exercise and eating clean, correct?
I am thinking I would like to try this approach and come back to MFP in 3 months and tell yas how it went. The actual plan will be this:
Eat clean all the time but have 1 cheat meal a week.
Badminton once a week
1-2 walks/jogs per week with the baby
Strong lifts 3 times per week
Ab exercises on weight lifting days

Thoughts?

Replies

• skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really healthy, good way to do things (and keep your sanity) if you think you can do it. I've thought about taking the plunge myself, but the problem is that I'm still at a point where I probably need the support of MFP (and the kicks in the *kitten* from MeeshyBW).
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    well it all depends...
    I've been using MFP for over 200 days now and I still use it all the time even if I eat clean clean clean...no cheat meals.
    cause it's easy not to bust your calories but not busting your daily carbs,fat and sugar is anothing thing.

I'm working out 6 days a week + 3 hrs of martial arts.

Your plan ain't bad and might work for you.
    I see no problem in trying it but..... make sure you don't go too much over those 3 things or you'll need a lot more workouts to burn them.

Good luck
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can eat clean but still overeat / eat too many calories! I would recommend continuing your food logging.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    well it all depends...
    I've been using MFP for over 200 days now and I still use it all the time even if I eat clean clean clean...no cheat meals.
    cause it's easy not to bust your calories but not busting your daily carbs,fat and sugar is anothing thing.

I'm working out 6 days a week + 3 hrs of martial arts.

Your plan ain't bad and might work for you.
    I see no problem in trying it but..... make sure you don't go too much over those 3 things or you'll need a lot more workouts to burn them.

Good luck

SO ur talking about making sure to meet the carbs, fat and sugar targets and to NOT go over in those categories. Please note that I also plan to cut out the C R A P (Caffiene, Refined sugar, Alcohol, Processed foods) Although, I will still eat the following:
    fatfree/lowsugar yogurt and 0%fat low sugar greek yogurt
    Fibre 1 and Multigrain Cherios cereals
    Wholegrain bread & wraps
    Wholegrain rice
    SmartPop wholegrain popcorn
    Low fat Mayo, ketchup, mustard, low cal BBQ sauce, soya sauce, low fat coleslaw dressing and ranch/caesar dressings.
    There will be some lower fat cheese as well but not often and NEVER processed cheese slices
    Protein will be lean ground beef, chicken, frozen chicken breasts cutlets, whole eggs, porkchops, haddock, tilapia, peanut butter, greek yogurt, whey protein supp
    Fats: olive oil, almonds

I was thinking a 40% carbs 20% fats 40% protein. As for the sugar, all sugars will be from wholegrains and fruits. Stuff that low in the glycemic index.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    sounds healthy! good luck girl
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd at least track for awhile in the beginning. Eating "clean" doesn't mean you can't put on weight, especially if you like fats as much as I do.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You can still overeat "clean" foods. I would still log.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Cut out the low-fat foods - just go for the whole unadulterated version but eat less of it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    clean foods don't exist... do some research

thread/
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    In theory you're right - it should take care of itself ... Just a tidbit to chew on, though, my friend - You have to be careful with low fat stuff. Low fat almost always means more added sugar. And sugar is a severely underrated saboteur.

I have been experimenting with clean eating for a few years now. I always feel better when I eat on the clean side, but it's not easy - make that damn near impossible - if you use any pre-packaged anything. That includes yogurt, about 99.9% of store bought bread, almost all premade condiments, etc. Even then, if you can eat "clean" 80% of the time in today's world you're doing really well. (I'm not trying to be a know-it-all killjoy, I just want you to be successful in your project! :) )

Send me a FR if you'd like a clean eating friend :) - all the best!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Well, I think for me - I'm doing damn good if I'm staying away from chocolate, chips and candy! I just don't except this post pregnancy body and I need to damn well step up and get this body changed! Pronto!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can still overeat "clean" foods. I would still log.

This! And how will you define "clean". There is no standard accepted definition.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    And how will you define "clean". There is no standard accepted definition.

Why do people get so hung up on this?

Is it real food? yes? it's CLEAN
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    And how will you define "clean". There is no standard accepted definition.

Why do people get so hung up on this?

Is it real food? yes? it's CLEAN

Well, what's your definition of real food? I bet it differs greatly from mine.
    That's why people get so hung up. No two people think the same way.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If you're consuming more calories than you expend you will gain weight.

If you consume less calories than you expend you will lose weight.

Whether these foods are 'clean' or not is irrelevant.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options

Is it found naturally in nature or is it man made?

HFCS is man made
    Hydrogenated fats are man made
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

HFCS is man made
    I wouldn't argue with you but there are those who would say dairy is not "clean" or grain or legumes. And certain foods that I would consider clean are somewhat processed. Like butter, peanut butter, olive oil. And what about meats that are commercially raised and not free range or grass fed?

This is why, for me personally, I don't worry about "clean" or not clean. I just eat mostly whole foods from the best quality sources I can. I think the whole "clean" eating moniker is kind of conundrum.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

HFCS is man made
    I wouldn't argue with you but there are those who would say dairy is not "clean" or grain or legumes. And certain foods that I would consider clean are somewhat processed. Like butter, peanut butter, olive oil. And what about meats that are commercially raised and not free range or grass fed?

This is why, for me personally, I don't worry about "clean" or not clean. I just eat mostly whole foods from the best quality sources I can. I think the whole "clean" eating moniker is kind of conundrum.

and vague and confusing and means different things to different people - that said, aiming for mostly whole foods is an admirable goal no matter what you call it. :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what others think on this:

So if I decide to take the plunge to eat totally clean with one cheat meal per week, I really shouldn't need MFP now should I? It would alleviate the time having to look up all these "clean foods" and would make more time to focus more on exercise and eating clean, correct?
    I am thinking I would like to try this approach and come back to MFP in 3 months and tell yas how it went. The actual plan will be this:
    Eat clean all the time but have 1 cheat meal a week.
    Badminton once a week
    1-2 walks/jogs per week with the baby
    Strong lifts 3 times per week
    Ab exercises on weight lifting days

Thoughts?

"Clean" and "appropriate number of calories" are not the same thing.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What difference does it make if different people have different definitions of "clean" eating. It's quibbling semantics, when the OP's goal is a good one.

If someone chooses to make their meals more nutrient-dense by eating whole foods, go for it. You'll likely feel great, do a great job of getting your micronutrients and lower your sodium intake by eating less packaged foods.

People who chose to improve the quality of their food intake should be encouraged... not discouraged because you don't like the term they use. Sheesh.