This is so hard!!!!

Options
I've been battling to lose weight for nearly a year. I have no discipline when it come to dieting. Joined weigh less.....didn't work
Joined the gym....didn't work. I completely suck at this.
I have two small kids and I work in an operating theatre. I feel like all my good intentions and planning are for nought.
I'm supposed to eat 1200 cal a day and I'm using the app religiously. But the results are slow.
I haven't really added my own foods either. Maybe I'm doing this wrong....

I really need inspiration and motivation.
If there's anyone out there going through the same thing, let me know

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding which part isn't working for you? Could you be more specific?
    eating 1200 in almost all cases is way too low, and from what you're saying you're active.
    find out your bmr and tdee, start there.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You need to change your frame of mind.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    How didn't it work? Are you sure you calculated your calorie needs correctly? Are you making sure to log everything correctly? Are you getting plenty of water, sleep, rest, etc?

You might want to join this group here. Lots of help is available!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're active. I think you just need to learn those trick easy recipes to keep you on track.

People complain about cooking, but a sandwich takes less than 45 seconds. I think in your case I wouldn't suggest a gym. You seem busy so an at-home-option may be more productive even if it's something like yoga or pilates.

Lists foods you love that you think you CAN'T eat... then I bet you me or someone else has a healthy version you CAN eat
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No-one can give you motivation and inspire you. You either have it in you to do it or you don't. Doesn't matter if it's hard. Just do it. No-one is going to do it for you.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but if it was easy everyone would be supermodel skinny. I personally would never want to be that small. Well at the very least there would not be in obesity epidemic. I think I want you getting the hang of logging, exercising, eating correctly it's a lot easier from there.

For me I have lost 23 pounds in a little over 2 months, the last of my secret is I just say exercise in hard in eating correctly there's no secret to weight lose.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding which part isn't working for you? Could you be more specific?
    eating 1200 in almost all cases is way too low, and from what you're saying you're active.
    find out your bmr and tdee, start there.

And here is one way to go about it. It's only too hard when we make it harder than we need to so read this and take it a bit slower but there is less chance of failure.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, you're more than likely eating too little. Why not try eating at TDEE-500 cals? You work at an operating theater, which I assume requires you to be on your feet a lot and moving about, so you need more calories to keep up with your activity level, especially if you're chasing after little ones when you're not at work. You don't have to have a strict diet either. If you like chocolate, you don't have to give that up. However, what you need to do is learn portion control. You can eat what you want, but just smaller portions. I haven't given up any of my favorite foods. I just eat a serving size. As for exercise, you don't need a gym membership. There are plenty of fun youtube workout videos to do, or you can take a walk with your children around your neighborhood.

At the end of the day, only you can do this. No one can do it for you. So either dig down deep and find that motivation, or don't.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've been battling to lose weight for nearly a year. I have no discipline when it come to dieting. Joined weigh less.....didn't work
    Joined the gym....didn't work. I completely suck at this.
    I have two small kids and I work in an operating theatre. I feel like all my good intentions and planning are for nought.
    I'm supposed to eat 1200 cal a day and I'm using the app religiously. But the results are slow.
    I haven't really added my own foods either. Maybe I'm doing this wrong....

I really need inspiration and motivation.
    If there's anyone out there going through the same thing, let me know

You CAN do this hun. I'm losing 1lb a week but that will be 52lbs in a year :smile: Check out this link.......
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DarrelBirkett/view/post-contents-503047
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You just need to want this more than anything else in your whole world and then go for it and let nobody stop you. Having motivating and supporting friends is a bonus, but expecting them to carry you on this is a recipe for disaster. YOU need to want this for YOU.

Get your mind and priorities in order and the rest will just happen. Keep focused and you'll get there.

Good luck.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. MFP is not. It pretty much maps it all out for you...You just have to use it properly.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Stick with it

read peoples posts - look the only thing I can say with any confidence is that you are right it is very hard, I have battled and only just seem to get it - finally at the end of 2012 I took a long look and said enough is enough
    I work hard at the gym - 60-90minutes a day 6 days a week and yes thats very hard when you hit 50, I have 3 kids a dog and a full time job, on top of that I have and L4/L5 spinal injury that I have been recovering from over the last 2 years
    so how did I turn the corner, I guess the answer is determination - that came from my mind , yes I log my food, yes i exercise, somedays I eat back more than I should, I eat the wrong food some days.
    However the key to turning the corner is in your mind, I am told it takes 21 days to change a habit, so try telling yourself you are in control every day - I do. I choose to make the effort to lose pounds, I choose to eat that food or not. I have a day off and I allow myself to eat whatever I like, lately I am choosing the same foods I eat the rest of the time so its all good just be patient and true to yourself you will get there
    add me as a friend, all are welcome, and then you can see my diary, by the way I enter my gym calories with 20% less than the machine to help me keep a control
  • lilac21
    lilac21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has battled for a very long time with weight lose, I think the secret is definately making sure you record what you're eating. It really doesn't take many biscuits to take you over your allowance and on to the slippery road to failure! I also find the recipe builder really helps. I enter all the ingredients for my family meals and even treats such as home baked cakes and desserts so that I can factor them into my daily allowance. Don't be down hearted, remember any lose is better than none and the slower it comes off the longer it stays off!
  • Smudgemama
    Smudgemama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I know I need to change my mindset. I know. So after giving this some thought, here's what I will try to do:

Enter my own food, meals and recipes into the diary. That means weights of each ingredient so that MFP can accurately calculate calories.
    I will log every singe thing I eat/ drink
    I am going to try 60 minutes at night ( after the kids are down) to exercise........I'm going to try
    I'm definitively going to have smaller portions and drink more water.

I really want to do this.
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this . In the past i "tried" to lose wieght, fitness dvds , gym....My heart was not in it. It took me till i was so UNHAPPY i had no option but to have my heart in it. It just happened. I needed to have the right mindset to CHANGE my whole lifestyle.
    and if you really mean it, it will be in your heart too.

When you feel unmotivated, look at people's success stories and pictures, there's nothing more uplifting and it fills you with the "I COULD DO THAT TOO!" mindset.

when i felt i was getting nowhere I looked for inspiration from people who had succeeded.
    I learned to love vegetables and good foods by learning to cook lovely meals from scratch, learn to enjoy the feeling AFTER a workout where you think, THANK GOD i didn't skip that 30 min workout , cos I feel proud and determined.

water is essential. and small goals. step by step. You can always chat on here for support
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one..

yes, it is hard!!

but you can do it!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Get some discipline. If you want to eat more, work out more. Calories in, calories out. You have to want it to get it. Imagine how much happier you'll be without carrying around the extra weight.

It's been said before and I'll say it again: If losing weight was easy, we'd all be skinny. Stick with it and work hard to get what you want.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this. I once read a tag line that said "being fat is hard, dieting is hard, choose your hard!!" SO TRUE!

Marie
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    You have to have motivation, motivation is key. You have to be motivated enough to stop everything bad that you doing. I suggest you take babysteps, you must remember it's not going to happen overnight. Do not discourage yourself.