How do YOU make hard boiled eggs???

Options

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I put my eggs in the pot and then add cold water. Then I put it on the stove, heat it up, and let it boil for 15-20 minutes. To open, I tap it gently on a flat surface such as a counter so that the shell has little cracks in it and then I peel the shell off. Then I rinse the egg in cold water and eat! Yum!
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of baking soda to cold water that is about 1 inch over the eggs
    bring it to a boil
    cut the heat and leave for 10 minutes
    remove eggs, drain and rinse under cold water until cool enough to touch

The shells should come right off, baking soda passes through the eggshell and helps the albumen to separate from the shell.

Eggs tend to cook best when the temperature is gradually raised, low and slow all around for any egg dish should provide the best results.

I have just recently heard about using baking soda to help the egg shells come off easily....I plan on trying this this week!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
  • scottiio44
    Options
    valerieschram got it down - thats the perfect way.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    2-3 minutes? I boil mine for 10 - 15 minutes, never have an issue peeling them and they are always perfect.

Running them under cool water as you peel them can make it easier to peel, if you are having problems though.
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cuisinart egg maker yesterday.. it steams the eggs... used it last night and the eggs came out perfect! And steamed eggs are a ton easier to peel. I'm pretty excited about this unit.

This. If you eat alot of hard boiled eggs, I'd highly recommend one of these. Takes the guessing out of the timing and you can turn it on , walk away until it beeps. Also, the ones I've seen have a little cup that you can measure the amount of water that goes in depending on how soft/hard you like your eggs. And they're not terribly expensive.
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Put them in the pot and cover them with water and add salt. Once the water starts boiling set the timer for 12 minutes. After they are done put them in an ice bath and let them cool completely. The salt makes the water boil faster and helps them peel easier as does the ice bath. Good luck!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I take eggs out of fridge 10-20 minutes before use, prick fat end with a pin, put in boiling water for 9-10 mins, run under cold water until just cold enough to peel, crack shell in worktop and hold in a bit of kitchen roll (because still a bit hot!)

I then slice in an egg slicer, chop with a little mayo, chopped tomato and spoon of parmesan (grated) and pile onto my sandwich. messy but yummy.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Some of us were not wired to make hard boiled eggs right! I gave up and bought an egg cooker. Oh, yes, people laugh at me, but I love it!
    As far as peeling, the fresher the egg, the tougher it will be to peel. I do find that really fresh eggs (mine come from the back yard) will peel if you start with the bottom (where the air pocket is) and go slow.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use a pin or a sharp knife tip to poke a small hole in the large end of each egg, put it in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Turn it on high until it boils, remove from heat, cover, and time it for 12min. Then I put them in an ice bath and leave them for 20min. I peel them all and put them in a tupperware covered with water. Change out the water each day or so and they should keep for a week.
  • mattoc
    mattoc Posts: 6
    Options
    My grocery store (Harris Teeter) sells them by the dozen already hard-boiled and peeled for only 25 cents more than a normal dozen! I put them in a ziplock bag with a couple of paper towels, and they're good for a week to ten days in the fridge.
  • chrisa8170
    chrisa8170 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    We have our own Hens and our eggs are stored at room temp (no need for the fridge) - 20 mins in the steamer, then in to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process, then just peel.

Since we steam most of our veg and rice it makes sense to also use it for doing hard boiled(?) eggs :happy:
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bring water to boil.

Prick egg with egg pricky thingy on the big end, so air can escape (less egg cracking in pot!)

once water boils, put egg in.

boil for 14 minutes.

take egg out of water and put it under cold water - this will make the peeling much easier.

:)
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I make mine totally different than anyone else on here! I put my eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, turn burner OFF cover pot with lid and let sit on burner for 12-15 minutes! Remover from burner and soak in ice cold water!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs in a cold pan, fill with just enough water to cover the eggs. Cover and turn on high and bring to a boil. Once it hits boils, I turn the temp way down to low, leave covered for 15 minutes. Then I drain the water and replace it with cold tap water. I either add a few ice cubes or change out the water a few times to cool the eggs. Then I dry them and put them back in the carton and done!!!

To peel, I roll the egg on the counter to crack the shell, then peel under running cool water - the shell slips right off.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I put cold water in a pot, toss my eggs in...put it on the stove on high.

I boil them for 30 minutes, put the pot in the sink, add cold water, dump water, add more cold water...let them sit for about a half hour.

I'll crack the flat end on the counter and peel the shell off. I boil the hell out of my eggs because anything less than 25 minutes has resulted in uncooked yolks. I make eggs on Sunday to last through the week, I don't want uncooked yolks. Blech.
  • berdoochick
    berdoochick Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Start with cold water, so your eggs do not crack. Bring to a boil and then turn off the water. Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes. Take out and put them in an ice bath--makes it easy to peel them. This yields perfect, non-rubbery eggs with no weird greenish brown color on the yolks.

I do this same thing but i just put cold tap water in till the waters not hot and the eggs cool only slightly. When they're cold i have a whole lot of trouble peeling them. They're easier when still warm and wet
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    Boil water first. Then place eggs into pot with 2-3 inches of water, using tongs. Boil for 8 minutes.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go boil an egg now :laugh: this thread makes me crave one!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have an actual egg timer. Growing up in Colorado, it takes water longer to boil so whatever time I might have learned up there, would be different now that I live in Chicago. Anyways, You put it in with the eggs and when it gets to your preferred temp (soft, medium or hard) you turn the heat off and soak in cold water.