A question for all those of you who have done P90X

Options
Hey folks, I have a question (or two!) about P90X and I was just wondering if anyone here could be able to help me.

Firstly, my strength is pretty *kitten*... I've almost finished 30DS and I'm using 2.2lb dumb bells and that's been tough... but I REALLY want to work on getting me some better strength and muscle definition. Realistically, do I have any more strength before I start this programme, or am I okay to go into it as a complete chubby novice?

As I said previously, I am nearly done with 30DS and I'd like to go on to do C25k. Do you think C25k and P90X would work okay together? Sorry if that seems like a silly question, I just don't want to overdo it, and sometimes an outside pair of eyes could see this and said "hey girl... not a great idea..."

Also, what home equipment do I need to buy?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Replies

• mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Stick with the weights you can manage and increase them as you need throughout the programme. The P90X is fairly intense so I don't think it would be wise to mix C25K in there at the same time as that would be 9-10 workouts per week !!
    Most of the exercises on P90X I have seen can be done at home with a few dumbbells, a chair and a resistance band. A non-slip mat is useful if you have wooden floors also !

Good luck :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You don't need C25k when you do P90X - there are at least two cardio workouts a week built into it - and it is not a traditional heavy lifting program - you are pretty much go go go even in the "lifting" workouts.
    As for equipment - like the previous poster said, not much...I got a pull-up bar , but you don't need it - can do with resistance bands...
    As for the 2,2 lbs dumbells, you will need to push yourself - I think my handbag weighs more than that.....:blushing:
    P90 X is not heavy lifting if you can't - I did Chalean Xtreme with up to 40lbs dumbells, and I never use more than 25 lbs with P90X...
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey all,
    How do you track your P90x workouts in myfitnesspal ?

For example what would you list legs and back vs kenpo?

Thanks!
  • jillevert
    Options
    I do C25k and Power 90 (P90). P90 is a step below Tony Horton. I would suggest if you want to do C25k with P90x, do it on Yoga, rest day, and some other day that does not involve a lot of cardio. I plan on doing P90x in April and continue C25k, but that is mainly because I am doing a 5k in June and want to be ready for it. Just listen to your body, and don't burn yourself out. Also make sure you are eating enough to cover both workouts!
  • xybernaut
    xybernaut Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the Circuit Training General listed under Cardiovascular for the amout of time that I spent on each, I have used a heart rate monitor and it seems to be close enough.

As for equipment I have dumbbells, pull up bar, exercise and Yoga mat, and resistance bands, that takes care of all your needs. The Exercise mat is great because I have wood floors and the mat cushions the impact as well as collects the sweat so it is not all over my wood floor.
  • astrampe
    Options
    Hey all,
    How do you track your P90x workouts in myfitnesspal ?

For example what would you list legs and back vs kenpo?

Thanks!

I have a heart rate monitor - so it gives me the calories burned, and I just add it under cardio - you can name each one...
  • astrampe
    Options
    I do C25k and Power 90 (P90). P90 is a step below Tony Horton. I would suggest if you want to do C25k with P90x, do it on Yoga, rest day, and some other day that does not involve a lot of cardio. I plan on doing P90x in April and continue C25k, but that is mainly because I am doing a 5k in June and want to be ready for it. Just listen to your body, and don't burn yourself out. Also make sure you are eating enough to cover both workouts!

I would not do both running and P90X...It depends on your fitness level, but P90X already takes up a lot of time, and it is tough....I don't like yoga, but it is essential to prevent injury....If you want to do both, I would run on the days you are suppose to do Kenpo and plyometrics....
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks astrampe.
    Another reason to wear one!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    As I said previously, I am nearly done with 30DS and I'd like to go on to do C25k. Do you think C25k and P90X would work okay together? Sorry if that seems like a silly question, I just don't want to overdo it, and sometimes an outside pair of eyes could see this and said "hey girl... not a great idea..."

Also, what home equipment do I need to buy?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:

I do C25K and P90X together. I have to skip the Plyo, Yoga, and Kenpo workouts and do my running instead. The strength training days of P90X are really want I want anyway. My sports medicine doctor told me to avoid Plyo totally.

For equipment we have a pull-up bar that's wall mounted. I can't do those doorway mounted things because I don't have a doorway nearby the workout room that's compatible. We have dumbbells sets that are 5, 8, 12, 15, 20, and 25 each. My wife uses more in the lower range and I use the heavier ones. But on several exercises the 25-lb dumbbells are not enough! We also have a TRX system and Bosu ball that we try to incorporate into certain exercises but those are not necessary.

-Tim