Acne?

Options
2»

Replies

• porcelainjune
    Options
    Dairy will make your skin break out so maybe you should try limiting that in your diet (if you're not already). I wash my face with a honey, brown sugar, and olive oil mixture and it really helps. Also apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, but it is an acid so you should try diluting it with water at a 1:1 ratio first. Putting honey on a blemish and covering it with a band-aid over night will remove it. I've tried and it works.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Might be a good idea to see the doctor if it keeps up. There are lots of different reasons for acne. I started having awful acne when I went on birth control (I know, it was backwards) and finally after dealing with it for a month I went to the doctor. He gave me some prescription cream that cleared it right up. Wish I'd gone sooner.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not happy that other people are suffering, but glad to see I'm not the only one!

I've always had poor skin, but since exercising, I've really been fighting the acne and breakouts. Being 30, you can only imagine how embarrassing it is (going along with still being overweight!)

If it doesn't get any better in the next couple of months, I'm going to see a dermatologist.

Anyone have advice on otc soaps or creams?
  • Oakley82
    Oakley82 Posts: 53
    Options
    When I just started working out a lot, eating cleaner, sitting in the sauna, and drinking a ton of water I broke out too. I think it was a combo of sweating and impurities leaving my body. It took about 3 weeks to completely go away, but it did. I have oily skin to begin with, so I just have to make sure to shower right when I'm done working out.

I used salicylic acid astringent (Clean & Clear I think, something cheap) and it helped. My skin is clear again. :smile: If you want something natural, try witch hazel.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that there have been numerous studies disputing the wives tale that diet impacts acne. If you're breaking out after hitting the gym, I'd be more diligent about washing your face and body right after and putting a nice layer of benzoyl peroxide on after, also making sure to moisturize.

If that doesn't help, I'd check with a dermo. My own acne was pretty much 100% hormonal. Sometimes you think that a breakout is coinciding with something else when really it's not. I made myself believe for the longest time that the medication I was taking for acne was making it better, when really I just happened to start taking it when I was in a good place in my cycle.
  • LazyGuy91
    Options
    I used salicylic acid astringent (Clean & Clear I think, something cheap) and it helped. My skin is clear again. :smile: If you want something natural, try witch hazel.

I just bought some Clean & Clear stuff a couple weeks ago. I need to use it more consistently though.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I just bought some Clean & Clear stuff a couple weeks ago. I need to use it more consistently though.

That's my problem! I wash my face once a day when I take a shower. I can't stand doing it over the sink or anything else, it's just messy. I love my cleanser right now, it's coconut pineapple from clean and clear, but it actually doesn't contain any acne medication... I always have a hard time finding something that works and doesn't fry my skin.
  • moo1907
    moo1907 Posts: 24
    Options
    I broke out big time when I upped my water in take. Felt as though all the scum in my pores was dying to come out! I'm hoping it's only temporary...have you tried a facial steamer?
  • LazyGuy91
    Options
    Wonder if caffeine plus stress has something to do with it?