Just signed up

Options
Trying to get my weight back under control. I went through a horrible divorce over 9 years ago. My weight gain started here, I began to hate myself and eat all the time. Took care of my three children and didn't take care of myself. I had cervical cancer just 3 years ago and had to have a complete hysterectomy. I struggled with that and of course cried and ate myself even thicker. I am now cancer free for 1 year. Then I finally had something good happen and met my new husband and wonderful man. He showed me that there are some great people in this world. We started playing softball together and I think because of my weight I tore my meniscus in my right knee, had to have it removed. So just in december I had my meniscus removed from my right knee, which has made it pretty hard to excersice. Just last week I found out that I have only 40% of my cartlidge in my right knee left. So now I have had a hard time trying to figure in a way to get some excersice with my knee that doesn't bring me to tears. I know I need to loose weight and get healthy. So my job told me about this site and I thought I would give it a try. I wish everyone good luck.

Carrie

Replies

• SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrie, I'm Susan. You've made a step in the right direction signing up here at MFP. I also have physical issues that make exercise difficult. I have no cartilage in either knee so I know how it is with the pain. Feel free to add me if you like, I can be supportive on your journey.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrie,
    I am happy that you found MFP! You can do this, even though your exercise will be limited. I am also a cancer survivor - had uterine cancer about 5 years ago and also had a hysterectomy. I have been overweight for my entire adult life. It is hard to get it off, but it can be done!

I was at our local gym the other day and there was a guy with a deformed arm (he had only 2 fingers that ended about where the elbow is on his left arm). He was lifting weights with the machines! I couldn't believe my eyes!!! I thought he would only work on cardio, but nope...there he was at all the machines...some only using his good arm, but he was doing it! I say this only to be an inspiration to you. You have limited mobility, but you can still excercise. It's just in how much you want it. You'll have to be more creative than most of us , but you can do it. I did a google search and came up with this website: http://www.helpguide.org/life/workouts_exercise_overweight_disabled.htm. It looks like there are some good ideas that may work for you!

Friend me if you'd like. I can definitely offer you support and encouragement along the way! - Nancy
  • AllOfTheStars77
    AllOfTheStars77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nancy,
    Thank you so much for the inspiration!! I really appreciate the encouragement and will definitely look you up on here and add you. I unfortunately don't have many friends other than my family; I actually have no friends except my family. I have had a hard time making friends so I really don't have any support at this time. So, if you don't mind I will add you for support and friendship.

Thank You,
    Carrie
  • lowcaloriecupboard
    Options
    Hi Carrie!

Your story is inspirational! I know it can be discouraging when your body prevents you from exercising.... but stay strong! :) I lost my first 20 lbs by simply counting calories and doing minimal exercise! If you need advice, encouragement or low calorie recipe ideas feel free to add me as a friend! My fiancé and I have been creating low calorie recipes to satisfy certain cravings we have along the way! :)

I know I am going to draw strength and inspiration from your cancer survival story, so thank you so much for sharing that part of your life! That takes a lot of courage, which goes to show that you have the strength in you to accomplish your fitness goals.

Alexandra
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Welcome!!!!
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Susan,
    I wanted you to know how much I appreciate your kind words. I am tired of being dissapointed in me and ready to begin to smile again.

Thanks,
    Carrie
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am happy to hear that you signed up and are ready to get your life back on track. Congrats on your new marriage and being cancer free!!!! :) I honestly don't have any advice for you for exercise but if you need some more support, feel free to add me. Good luck on your journey's ahead!
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Alexandra,
    Thank you for reading my post and introducing yourself. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I know that you will be a very beautiful bride. I would love to learn how to begin eating right. I think this is my biggest struggle thus far. I have tried many different things from the lemonade cleanse to weight watchers points counting. All in all it really doesn't teach you to eat right. So if you have a plan and recipes I would love to hear it.

Thanks a Bunch,
    Carrie
  • RonnieMurray
    Options
    Wow. Divorce, cancer, missing a chunk of your knee. If anyone has an excuse, it may be you. But don't use it. That's the easy way. Anyone can do easy. Kill it girl.
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Wow, Ronnie, I honestly couldn't have like a comment better. I have used the excuses and now no more. Thank you for the motivational comment. I hope I can feed off of your inspiration and "kill it" as you said. LOL

Thanks
    Carrie
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Carrie! Welcome to MFP.

First off, let me tell you how thrilled I am that you were able to fight through your cancer. A year cancer-free is fantastic, and you should be so proud. But you should also be proud of yourself for having the drive to sign up for MFP. It sounds like you have dealt with a lot, and having the willpower to keep pushing and keep improving yourself is not something to be taken lightly. Weight loss is hard, but from what I've read, I am confident that you have what it takes to get through it. Best of luck!

Shelby
  • bs240z
    bs240z Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    welcome! you are in the right place. best of luck.
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Welcome the begining of a wonderful journey! You've made the correct decision and I look forward to helping you as you melt away!! Lots of inspiration here! :):flowerforyou:
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You have been blessed with starting a new life journey...GOD bless you!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Nancy,
    Thank you so much for the inspiration!! I really appreciate the encouragement and will definitely look you up on here and add you. I unfortunately don't have many friends other than my family; I actually have no friends except my family. I have had a hard time making friends so I really don't have any support at this time. So, if you don't mind I will add you for support and friendship.

Thank You,
    Carrie

Carrie,
    You have family and that is all you need. You have your new husband and that is more than many have. Make yourself YOUR priority for a little while. YOU are worth it.

I will support you through this anyway I can. I don't have all the answers; I'm just a 40-something woman trying to get healthier for myself and my own family.

Hugs from Wisconsin!
    Nancy
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Such hardships you have been through. I am glad you joined up here and are willing to give MFP a try. There are very supportive people here including myself. I will add you and certainly support you. welcome!!
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Thank you so much I appreciate all the inspiration I can get
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    Thanks Charles, It's been great so far today reading everyones inspirational comments
  • AllOfTheStars77
    Options
    bs240z thanks for the comment
  • margottsponer
    margottsponer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrie - I'm proud you have come to MFP. Please add me as one of your supporters - we all need them!!!