I am not just unfit.. I am losing my mobility!!!

Options
Ok so I have gained a major amount of weight over the last five years, so much so that even everyday activities have become hard. I had noticed the loss of mobility slowly getting worse. Thing is I was once mega fit and this freaks me out that I have done this to myself in such a short space of time. I am frustrated and angry at myself for allowing this to happen. I have so much weight to lose but I also need to get fitter and I really do not know where to start, it is not like before where I would put on an exercise dvd and work it thru.. even the beginning is difficult now! Any suggestions on where to start so I dont feel so frustrated with myself?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    start walking and eating better.

mobilitywod.com has some great exercises for increasing your mobility. do some of those daily.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best way to begin your journey. Eat less today than you did yesterday. And hang in there! :smile:
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options

mobilitywod.com has some great exercises for increasing your mobility. do some of those daily.
    This. It is much more important that you make a hard committment to do one or two things and honor it - rather than trying to overhaul your entire lifestyle at once. You didn't become unfit overnight - it took time and snuck up on you. So stop being unaware, and make small changes that are sustainable. And don't put it off - start today. Doesn't matter what you ate for breakfast, doesn't matter if it is raining. Don't put if off until the weekend, don't wait until 1st of the month. Today. Now.
  • heleng666
    Options
    Thanks it was attempting an exercise dvd that I could once do in my sleep that I really noticed just how bad I had got.. never being this unfit before, I was very freaked out.

The food thing.. I have started, I guess it took me five years to get into this state it is not going to reverse over night.. and thank you for taking the time to reply :)
  • heleng666
    Options
    Thank you, I definitely think exercise dvds are off the cards so walking is probably my only option and thank you for replying :)
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Many of my relatives were in similar positions and had success with walking. Find a good time in your schedule each day to put on your gym shoes and coat and just walk out the door. Walk for as long as you can and try to beat that time each day. Your mobility will get much better and you will feel better!

If I remember correctly, my relatives actually didn't lose much weight doing this. It improved their mobility and then they were able to incorporate more calorie-burning exercise like exercise dvd's and weight training.

I think the key is just to move. A body in motion stays in motion and a body at rest stays at rest... I hope I helped!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks it was attempting an exercise dvd that I could once do in my sleep that I really noticed just how bad I had got.. never being this unfit before, I was very freaked out.
    Everyone has a starting point, you won't stay there, so don't be afraid to begin there. The more you do, the more you will be able to do. And gosh knows there are a million people on this site who have walked the same path -- are walking the path, or are starting today, just like you.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you like swimming, it's a great low-impact exercise. When I was at my heaviest I used to go a couple of times a week and it really helped. (Well, apart from the first time when I was so tired I could barely get out of the pool :laugh: ).
  • heleng666
    Options

This. It is much more important that you make a hard committment to do one or two things and honor it - rather than trying to overhaul your entire lifestyle at once. You didn't become unfit overnight - it took time and snuck up on you. So stop being unaware, and make small changes that are sustainable. And don't put it off - start today. Doesn't matter what you ate for breakfast, doesn't matter if it is raining. Don't put if off until the weekend, don't wait until 1st of the month. Today. Now.

Sounds like u know me I am the queen of excuses.. first step I have started and that is looking at what I eat. and realistically this time no crash diet., the exercise thing I am slightly worried about, I always want to run before I can walk.. hence the lack of success previously.. thank you your advice makes perfect sense :)
  • katelynnsmom1978
    Options
    I definitely agree with the walking. However in order to get any strength and health improvement ie weightloss, you have to challenge yourself. try doing 15 min. a day and every 5 days increase 5 minutes. when you can get to an hour easily increase your speed slightly and then more and more every 5 days. I read this in an article and I used to not be able to climb stairs without being winded and now i can do anything so I think it works.
  • heleng666
    Options
    Many of my relatives were in similar positions and had success with walking. Find a good time in your schedule each day to put on your gym shoes and coat and just walk out the door. Walk for as long as you can and try to beat that time each day. Your mobility will get much better and you will feel better!

If I remember correctly, my relatives actually didn't lose much weight doing this. It improved their mobility and then they were able to incorporate more calorie-burning exercise like exercise dvd's and weight training.

I think the key is just to move. A body in motion stays in motion and a body at rest stays at rest... I hope I helped!

Yes it has helped.. thank you! I definitely will start with something a little simpler than an exercise dvd designed for a size six fitness addict ;)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have gained a major amount of weight over the last five years, so much so that even everyday activities have become hard. I had noticed the loss of mobility slowly getting worse. Thing is I was once mega fit and this freaks me out that I have done this to myself in such a short space of time. I am frustrated and angry at myself for allowing this to happen. I have so much weight to lose but I also need to get fitter and I really do not know where to start, it is not like before where I would put on an exercise dvd and work it thru.. even the beginning is difficult now! Any suggestions on where to start so I dont feel so frustrated with myself?

WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't shy away from your workout DVD - use modifications, less range of motion, take a break by walking in place...but just get out there and try it and have fun. Also - Leslie Sansone has great low impact workouts!! The path to fitness starts with a simple walk!!!!!
  • heleng666
    Options
    If you like swimming, it's a great low-impact exercise. When I was at my heaviest I used to go a couple of times a week and it really helped. (Well, apart from the first time when I was so tired I could barely get out of the pool :laugh: ).
    [/quote

Lol that would be me! I used to love swimming but very conscious of my size now, so may save that for when I am feeling a little braver :) but thank you.. hmmm wish I had a pool of my own to use ;)
  • heleng666
    Options
    Thank you, for all of u replying!!! I think the general consensus is DO SOMETHING , anything as long as it gets me moving! Walking seems popular, It is a start .. Dvd's are great even if I can only do a bit of it :) Thank you, do not feel quite as freaked out as I did after attempting exercise for the first time in a very long time :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I feel you girl. First the first time my body is really starting to feel old. At 327 lbs last year, I joined and gym and hired a trainer. I could barely hike my leg over the stationary bike and five minutes on the treadmill and I was done! I started in December last year (and started swimming then too.. got over being uncomfortable.. I don't care what they think) and by the time summer rolled around, I'd shed 60 lbs and felt fit as a fiddle. But for some reason I stopped in about November. Got back in my sedentary rut and gained back about 15 lbs. The problem is this time, my knee pain has come back, and brought a hip pain along with it. I hobble now and I hate it. I can't believe how fast my body has deteriorated when it was gaining such momentum just a few months ago. I just started working out again. I'll be able to do the things I was doing last summer, but I'm starting back with baby steps.

You can do more than you think you can, you just need to set yourself up for success and continue to push yourself. Begin walking regularly, no excuses, and gradually add in a video or two. I recommend the C25K program as well. And put on your bathing suit girl! You can do this!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i have a great deal of weight to lose, i am hasimoto hypothyroid, i live in a perpetual state of fatigue & exhaustion, and unfortunately have back, achilles, and knee injuries, so the traditional workout dvd and even walking and the treadmill have been forbidden to me by my doctor.
    most days i wear what my fiancee calls my "medical corset" under my blouse, it helps me stand without putting too much pressure on, and causing more pain to, my herniated lumbar discs, and i have a boot cast my ortho doc is threatening to put me back into as my ankle is back to causing me daily pain and swelling.

swimming would be ideal, but alas, i have no pool of my own, and a public or shared facility is out of the question.

thankfully, persons with mobility-limiting injuries or medical conditions can participate in strength training movements, stretches and light aerobic movements from a seated position.

i have a few routines i have put together from my experience with personal trainers, physical therapists, workout dvds, and some youtube videos. i have crunches, leg lifts, strength training, etc.

I can do them from the floor, a chair, or the bed, depending what the exercises are.

I also have worked in a standing routine for getting my cardio up and for work on my arms.

Maybe you could try something like this.

And look into beginner yoga and pilates videos on youtube as well - stretching, breathing, and balance exercises will help you immensely as you start out on this path.

Be well.
  • aandrus0608
    Options
    I really do understand where you are coming from. I have had 4 surgeries in the last 2 years, all on my left ankle, as well as a thyroid issue. I gain so much weight due to it. After a while I used that as my excuse, I am just obese because I had alot of surgeries. I think going clothes shopping was the biggest eye opener for me. For thoes saying to start walking are all correct. It was really hard to start I hurt all the time and Ice because my best friend. Then I fell off of the routine again. Going to the gym, and yes putting on that very large bathing suit helps me realize where I don't want to be. It also makes me acountable. I see the same people the three days a week I go. It is much easier when you have someone who understands, and tell you it to you staight to get of the butt. =) It really worked for me.

I sincerly hope you are able to do this. I am cheering for you.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for all of u replying!!! I think the general consensus is DO SOMETHING , anything as long as it gets me moving! Walking seems popular, It is a start .. Dvd's are great even if I can only do a bit of it :) Thank you, do not feel quite as freaked out as I did after attempting exercise for the first time in a very long time :)

You got it!! And be proud of every accomplishment you make. Just getting off the couch is an accomplishment. Walking a minute or two longer than you did a couple weeks ago is an accomplishment. And either forget about the athlete you used to be or use your past as an inspiration, a goal weight/fitness level to get back to. Using it as an excuse, essentially a weapon against yourself...that's just a waste of time and energy and you know it.

I'll echo the advice above about the Leslie Sansome videos. She's very upbeat and shows different fitness levels and I think most of her DVDs are set up in levels. I had one a few years ago that was 5 miles altogether but you could just do 1 or 2 if you didn't have the time or energy. It's a really good beginner workout.

If you're unsure about being on your feet much, look up chair exercises.

Good luck!