Lessons learned from losing weight!

Options
State all the things u learned from ur weightloss journey ! :D
How u deal with bad moments, how u reward urself. etc. ..

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just posted mine in the thread Small Victories under this heading. I would love to hear other peoples' experiences.
  • stephanieogle35
    Options
    I've learned that water is better for me than what anyone could have told me. I eat less, drink less Diet Coke, feel fuller, and less bloated when I drink water. I also learned that I am a boredom eater, and that I eat out of habit frequently. Drinking water has helped with that a lot. But mostly I've learned that my body is capable of doing a lot when I take care of it.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm still on mine and I just posted a gain for the first time (BOO!), but the biggest lesson I've learned is DON'T GIVE UP!

I'm only human. I'm not Superwoman. Some days I will eat my emotions. Some days I will hurt physically and mentally. Some days I will have ultra crap-tastic workouts. Keep pushing. This isn't easy and it's sure as hell not fast. Do not quit.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm still on mine and I just posted a gain for the first time (BOO!), but the biggest lesson I've learned is DON'T GIVE UP!

I'm only human. I'm not Superwoman. Some days I will eat my emotions. Some days I will hurt physically and mentally. Some days I will have ultra crap-tastic workouts. Keep pushing. This isn't easy and it's sure as hell not fast. Do not quit.

^What she said!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key as well as eating lots of veggies and fruits! And most of all..MOVE that body!!!
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have lost 23lbs and feel great worked out everyday and ate great! BUT I was so sore I took two days off and two days grew to be a month . I didn't gain but didn't lose any more either. Getting started again has been hard as hell but a major lesson when you are that far ahead dont quit because it is so hard to get moving again.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Move Move Move Move
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I learned that if you had negative uninspiring people in your life when you were overweight...they are still the same *kitten* when you are fitter.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to have a dieter's or short-termer's approach. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I have to develop habits that I can maintain over the longhaul, not ones where I burn out quickly and revert to old patterns. It's not about being perfect, but about balance and moderation, making constant small adjustments, and learning how my body is affected by what I do and the decisions I make. I'm always learning.
  • jennylsapia
    jennylsapia Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I learned that if you had negative uninspiring people in your life when you were overweight...they are still the same *kitten* when you are fitter.

This is the truth!!! My goal is to make them eat their negative words!! Prove their *kitten* wrong!!!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That losing weight is not going to magically fix my self image/self confidence issues overnight.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with self-loving. And chocolate.
  • rtarpley
    rtarpley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I have to log everything. When I log everything I consume, I can face my mistakes OR celebrate my victories.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That losing weight is not going to magically fix my self image/self confidence issues overnight.

Wow, so true! I've been learning that too.
  • bdazzle55
    Options
    I've learned that it's OKAY to treat yourself/splurge a little every once in awhile and you shouldn't beat yourself up for it. It's okay to go out and have a slice of pizza, or go out with friends for a drink....the key is moderation. And if I do something like this, I make sure I work out extra hard or extra long the next day.

Personally, I've learned that If I don't do these things...If i don't splurge every once in awhile, I'm going to go insane and just binge.

One bad meal does not make you fat, just like one healthy meal does not make you thin.

Another huge thing I've learned is that weight loss requires PATIENCE!!! The weight didn't come on overnight and it's not going to come off over night...it takes time :)
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23lbs and feel great worked out everyday and ate great! BUT I was so sore I took two days off and two days grew to be a month . I didn't gain but didn't lose any more either. Getting started again has been hard as hell but a major lesson when you are that far ahead dont quit because it is so hard to get moving again.

This is why I don't take rest days. If I'm sore, I back off but don't skip completely. I may take an easy stroll down by the river, ride my horse, do some gentle yoga. But I find it important to take some time each day for exercise, otherwise it is too easy to fall out of habit.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Wow, so true! I've been learning that too.

I third this!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've learned that a bad day, is exactly that. A bad DAY. 24 little hours. In the past I used to have a bad day - and then it would spiral out of control from there - and I'd be back at square one.

Now I live by the mantra: Logged, noted, learned.

I never have 2 bad days in a row anymore :smile: .... infact, I hardly have bad days at all now!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    just do it and dont think about it....

overthinkers= bingers, stressers, undereaters, rebounders, failures

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/marshmallow-test.html
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i work probably about 1000 times harder then i have to, and the same goes for a lot of people trying to lose weight.

most people would probably benefit more from doing a little less, being more patient, and focusing thier efforts on nutrition.

Can't tell you how much is stung when it finally sunk in that you really can't build muscle and burn fat at the same time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!