Lessons learned from losing weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I have learned that I CANNOT have "cheat days." Cheat days get me completely off track and then its hard to get back onto it. I have also learned that once I allow myself to eat exercise cals I automatically think I can do it everyday....so i have to be pretty strict on myself!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    That you don't have to eat salad & vegetables all day long to lose weight.
    That you can in fact eat chocolate on a regular basis and still lose weight.
    QUANTITY is where it matters.
  • catach79
    catach79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So true, I like a lot what you said " One bad meal does not make you fat, just like one healthy meal does not make you thin. "
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lessons learned:
    1) this is a forever change. Not a right now change. Is what I';m doing for myself what I want to continue to do for the rest of my life, or am I just doing it to lose weight?
    2) Although everything ends up coming down to the number, you have to choose your battles wisely. Focus on healthy, goal oriented numbers rather than weight. Focus on 5k's, lifting weights, losing inches rather than the scale.
    3). Weights look different on different people.
    4). I may never be a size 0, or even a size 10. That's ok.
    5). No matter how s****y I feel, I NEVER regret a workout.
    6). Not every work out has to be 1.5 hours. It's better to move than not move at all. Do SOMETHING rather than nothing.
    7). There may be unhealthy things that are yummy, but you will feel better if you change them to be healthier and still get the same flavor affect.
    8). Water is an amazing appetite suppressant.

How do I reward myself
    1). Pampering in some way NOT food related- manicure, new clothes, massage, new kindle book.
    2). Loving talk (this should be done daily... working on it). "Look what you did. You CAN do it... keep it up"

good luck to everyone else :smile:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Don't tell yourself you can't have a specific food - it makes you want it more
    Don't beat yourslef up over a bad day or even a bad week, just get back on track
    Be your own cheerleader, its easier than counting on someone else (although I have had the best support from family and friends and it did make it easier)

And I will 4th the self confidence one. It is an on going battle, people with good self confidence will never understand it.

edit: I reward myself with downloading new songs, new workout clothes and massages
  • ljcazan
    ljcazan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with self-loving. And chocolate.

This!!!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I learned that you never know what your body can do until you challenge it.

-I knew I would never be small enough to wear jeans that I wore in college again. But here I am just two months into my diet, wearing the same size jeans that I wore in college.

-I knew I would never wear the size jeans that I wore in high school again. But I actually found a few pair of dress pants that I DID actually wear in high school. I just have one more inch to go from my waist, and I will be wearing them again.

-I knew that I couldn't run a 5k. And even if I did finish, it would be in the 35-40 minute range. But I did run one, and finished in just over 27 minutes. With a messed up knee (I should not have participated due to my knee, but oh well).

Imagine the things that I KNOW I can't do, but will be doing tomorrow. :smile:
  • iagilbert
    iagilbert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I have to log everything. When I log everything I consume, I can face my mistakes OR celebrate my victories.

Me too!!!!
  • laurenlhubert
    laurenlhubert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't tell yourself you can't have a specific food - it makes you want it more
    Don't beat yourslef up over a bad day or even a bad week, just get back on track
    Be your own cheerleader, its easier than counting on someone else (although I have had the best support from family and friends and it did make it easier)

And I will 4th the self confidence one. It is an on going battle, people with good self confidence will never understand it.

Yep!!
  • shaggydaddy
    Options
    I have learned that I CANNOT have "cheat days." Cheat days get me completely off track and then its hard to get back onto it. I have also learned that once I allow myself to eat exercise cals I automatically think I can do it everyday....so i have to be pretty strict on myself!!

It's such a hard thing to balance. I have learned over the years that you have to allow yourself to enjoy food in moderation. Goodness knows I indulge but its unrealistic to never cheat. None of us got fat by simply having one chocolate bar that we shouldn't have. We simply made bad choices a habit instead of something to look forward to. I wouldn't use the word cheat but more of as a reward.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat "clean", go gluten-free, vegan, or sugar-free. It doesn't matter if you lift weights, do 3 hours of cardio a day, or can twist yourself up like a pretzel doing yoga. You simply don't lose weight without a calorie deficit.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Another huge thing I've learned is that weight loss requires PATIENCE!!! The weight didn't come on overnight and it's not going to come off over night...it takes time :)

Exactly! Slow loss is better than no loss. Don't complain, just keep at it.

ETA: also, women are totally allowed and welcome in the weights section at the gym!
  • suzeew
    suzeew Posts: 8
    Options
    What a great topic and awesome posts!!

I have learned a ton since I have lost and gained and lost and gained since 2004, but for sure 4 major things:

1. ALWAYS weigh myself once a week - even after vacations, Christmas, etc. so that I can always stop a weight gain before it becomes so much I give up or just ignore it until it becomes a big hurdle to overcome again.

2. ALWAYS drink lots of water.

3. NEVER stop exercising for more than one week (have to be allowed a vacation sometime!). Get back on the horse after a vacation.

4. ALWAYS log my foods - at least during the week. I give myself wiggle room on weekends.

I am hoping these four things will help me FINALLY able to maintain my 19 pound loss FOR GOOD!
  • sweetfluffy
    sweetfluffy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I learned that being POSITIVE always make u feel better and give more ... no matter how things seems to be hard & far ... nothing is impossible ...i never thought that i would reach this weight... never thought how days can bring joy and happiness ... was so stressed and negative thinker...& my weight wasnt my big problem!... so i learend that loving my self is the best reward =D God created me to LOVE & be LOVED ... to smile for life and make changes :heart: :heart:
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You are all so amazing! and thank you from a person who is new to a lifestyle change and could use all the words of encouragement to keep pushing through no matter how difficult it seems! Again, thank you!
  • AllOfTheStars77
    AllOfTheStars77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    LOL so sad but so very true!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!