Best "less worst" cheesecake?

Options
rozojc
rozojc Posts: 29 Member
Not sure if this message should go in this board but I hope so...

Here's the thing. I've been on MFP for just over a month now. I'm working out, being very strict in counting my calories, and have been doing a great job (I am VERY proud at this point) at cooking healthy food and not eating all the bad things I was used to eating. I literally (with my wife who not only has been a great support but also joined me on this quest) changed from eating pizza and hamburgers every other night to 500 calories or less per meal, using whole wheat instead of more processed stuff, adding vegetables and fruits, having fish two times per week and so on and so forth.

Yesterday I met with some friends from work at The Cheesecake Factory. This was a real challenge for me as I had been out with my wife to places like Olive Garden (and would just order stuff from their lite menu), but I was able to control myself and ask for a salad from their (not so good) skinnylicious menu.

However, once we finished our meal, one of my friends order a slice of Oreo Cheesecake! I did not try it! SUCCESS!!! But I felt bad, REALLY BAD, as Cheesecake has been my favorite dessert for a long long time.

I wouldn't even consider having Cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory as I am quite aware of many of their types of cheesecakes being over 1,500 calories, but I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what the best "less worst" cheesecake ...

Are there any yummy but "acceptable" cheesecakes out there? I felt so bad yesterday I found myself literally dreaming with cheesecake yesterday night...

Replies

• rozojc
    Options
    No suggestions at all? :-(
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Try making your own from scratch - you know exactly what goes into it, can make a small one, etc.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Go to the "recipe" section: there are lots of cheesecake recipes that are less bad.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There are reasonable cheesecakes, although not at the Cheesecake Factory. I ate there last night and feel awful today... My main recommendation would be to try making it at home with reduced fat cream cheese and perhaps looking up a recipe using part-skim ricotta. The ricotta will lighten the texture, add some protein, and may help reduce overall calorie count a bit.

One tip for portion control is to make the cheesecakes in a muffin pan. You'll need to reduce baking time. If you put them in an airtight container they will even freeze okay for a few weeks, so you can only take out a few at a time to limit temptation.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am a Cheesecake Factory addict but have not had a piece in months because as you said, it can be over 1500 calories a slice. I made this a couple of weeks ago. It was nothing like Cheesecake Factory and is a very small portion but did satisfy a craving.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/skinny-chocolate-raspberry-cheesecake.html
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am a Cheesecake Factory addict but have not had a piece in months because as you said, it can be over 1500 calories a slice. I made this a couple of weeks ago. It was nothing like Cheesecake Factory and is a very small portion but did satisfy a craving.

QFT - sort of lol

I've never been to the Cheesecake Factory nor do I even really like cheesecake.
    But skinnytaste has at least 3 different healthier versions of cheesecake. in mini form no less.

You can make other mini cheesecakes (not the ones from skinnytaste) and just use the recipe builder.
    Substitute where you can - neufachel (spelling is wrong here lol) instead of full fat cream cheese and low-fat sour cream.

OR (probably the better solution for you since you like cheesecake)
    Use the full fat versions but make it in a muffin tin for smaller portion, skip the crust since can't taste it most of the time, put it in the recipe builder & freeze the leftovers.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I am better off having a tiny bit of the real thing when it comes to dessert. I cajole someone else into ordering a "deadly" dessert, and I steal a forkful or two. Only works with good friends or DH, though.
  • rozojc
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was kind of (lost cause, I know) hoping someone would say: "Go to X store, they have a really good low calorie cheesecake made with skim ricotta and sweetened with Splenda" but it seems everything points towards making your own!

I will research the topic and hopefully find a good version close enough to the real thing :-) . I may not, but the internet should be big enough for someone to have already found a good version :-)

Thanks again!
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361

This one is really good and high in protein. If you cut your cheesecake into 6 pieces you have a piece of cheesecake that is 140 calories and 20 gram of protein.

I have made a few different protein powders. The stronger the protein powder taste the better the taste of the cheesecake. Could also go vanilla and add in flavorings.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I am better off having a tiny bit of the real thing when it comes to dessert. I cajole someone else into ordering a "deadly" dessert, and I steal a forkful or two. Only works with good friends or DH, though.

This. Low calorie/fat substitutes for the treat I *really* want just don’t work for me. I rarely eat dessert, so when I have it, it will be the real deal. Not a “cake” made out of yogurt and protein powder or some similar faux dessert or brownies made with black beans. No. I want full fat dairy, butter, cheese, etc. Get one slice, share it with a couple of friends. The slices are huge at CF and definitely sharable. No food is off limits. Exercise portion control and you can have your real deal cheesecake.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I made this for a BBQ I went to today. It was sooooooo good! I'm delighted in the fact there was enough desserts there that there was some left for me to bring home!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    wow - kudos to you for not having cheesecake! I love cheesecake, and i don't think i would have been able to not taste.

anyway - cheesecake is actually one of those things that can be made with lower fat products and still taste good. I make it once in a blue moon, but use 3-5% fat cream cheese, i use low fat sour cream or yogurt, etc. it's very easy to make (just google "new york cheese cake recipe") and you can put some sliced fruit on top and it will be great.
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    http://dietrecipesblog.com/2008/06/16/light-ricotta-cheesecake-recipe-196-calories/

Here's a 196 cal per serving recipe.

I have not tried this, but for those that crave cheesecake, ricotta with sweetener and cocoa or spreadable fruit sometimes does the trick.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Just buy a mini portion one. Over here, we can buy individual ones from supermarkets that clock in at about 100 calories. And 100 calories of genuine cheesecake is far, far better than 100 calories of something that doesn't make the grade in terms of taste.