Best HRM?

Options
Hi there! Have been thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor as I want a more accurate calorie burn reading. The calorie allowance on here is a bit over generous I think (may be wrong). Also when I go to the gym the machines always give me a different reading each time even tho I follow a programme.

Just wanting a bit of advice on which one to buy, can you help?!

Replies

• karrianne32
    karrianne32 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Me too! I tend to eat very few of the MFP exercise cals as I don't trust them. I know the fitbit is supposed to be good, but its more of a step counter than an HRM. I fancy an HRM!
    Will be keeping an eye on this topic :-)
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE my Polar F4. I would suggest buying on Amazon to save a few $!
  • eskiadas
    eskiadas Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. I have a polar HRM and I love it. I have the FT7!! I bought it off of amazon and it is seriously the best thing I have ever bought. I find the machines at the gym over estimate and MFP underestimates (well for me as least)
    It will make your workouts that much more fun, Lets me know how hard i'm working and gives me an accurate calorie burn. GL :)
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the polar f4 on amazon and there are loads of good reviews on it. Quite a reasonable price also quite liked the idea of a pink one!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    BestHRM_zps32b0911d.jpg

I LOOOOVE my Polar F4. I would suggest buying on Amazon to save a few $!

That's probably a good solid choice as an entry level HRM. If you're just wanting to track calories burned and get the HR to display on fitness equipment I would go with this one.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything from Polar, Garmin and Suunto will be good, just find the one that has the features you want.

On a side note, HRMs are not automatically more accurate. In many cases, cardio machines are as accurate as you can get (assuming they allow you to enter your weight), and in some cases, MFP estimates are dead on.

Regardless, HRMs, like everything else, are just estimates and not guaranteed to be accurate.
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and can't wait to try it out.
  • ww1900
    ww1900 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like my polar ft7; it seems to be recommended a lot on here.

I wish it would display heart rate and calories (and time if possible) on one screen instead of having to cycle through the three screens. Minor issue.

make sure the strap is tight enough, and clean it regularly or it loses connection sometimes.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I bought an FT7 today because I managed to get it really cheap. Halfords have them on sale at the moment and lots of shops price match.
  • karrianne32
    karrianne32 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are HRMs only to work out calories burned during workouts?
    I am confused as to whether an HRM or a fitbit type device is what I need,
    Are there alternatives to the fitbit?
    I would like to know whether the calories I use are the same as MFP allows! Whether cleaning and walking cals are accurate as I don't want to eat cals I haven't earned!
    Any help will be gratefully received!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    * duplicate post *
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I would like to know whether the calories I use are the same as MFP allows! Whether cleaning and walking cals are accurate as I don't want to eat cals I haven't earned!

HRMs are only good for steady state cardio. Not classes, not lifting, not intervals, not walking, not house work, etc.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Zillionth vote for Polar FT4. I got mine on bodytronics.com for under $60 after searching for a coupon code last summer!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just got my FT4. I haven't had a chance to rally use it but it seems pretty simple to use
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options

HRMs are only good for steady state cardio. Not classes, not lifting, not intervals, not walking, not house work, etc.

I would disagree that they are not for classes (aerobics, I assume), lifting (you can really get your heart rate pumping lifting weights), intervals (aren't intervals cardio?) and walking (as long as you can walk as fast as you need to get your HRM to count your calories, usually around 120 BPM - estimated).

As long as what you are doing has your heart rate significantly up, your HRM will count it. Try it out on different exercises. And I recommend using Polar as well!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4 also!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I would disagree that they are not for classes (aerobics, I assume), lifting (you can really get your heart rate pumping lifting weights), intervals (aren't intervals cardio?) and walking (as long as you can walk as fast as you need to get your HRM to count your calories, usually around 120 BPM - estimated).

As long as what you are doing has your heart rate significantly up, your HRM will count it. Try it out on different exercises. And I recommend using Polar as well!

You can disagree all you want, doesn't make me wrong.

HRMs are designed for and thus most accurate during steady state cardio. The less steady state the exercise is (classes, intervals, etc), the less accurate it's going to be. Also, the less cardio the exercise is (lifting), the less accurate it's going to be be.
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'll be using my PINK Polar FT4 today for the first time and I'm very excited about it. I tried being cheap & purchasing the Pyle HRM first, but after only 1 week, the watch band broke. I got a nice lecture from my husband about how I should have just gone with the FT4 or FT7 like everyone on MFP recommends. Yes, yes, lesson learned. The band appears to be much more comfortable & the watch is definitely more comfortable than the Pyle brand I had.
  • vilo_pjd
    vilo_pjd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like my polar ft7; it seems to be recommended a lot on here.

I wish it would display heart rate and calories (and time if possible) on one screen instead of having to cycle through the three screens. Minor issue.

make sure the strap is tight enough, and clean it regularly or it loses connection sometimes.

I am sure some of the polar HRM's can be set to show the features you want.

You would best speak to a authorised polar retailer for the right model that fulfils your needs.

I know my cs600 bike model can be setup over infrared connection from the pc.

Hope this helps
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7