Losing and Half Marathon?

Options
Last year I didn't lose anything basically for 6 months while I trained for my first half marathon. I am training for my second right now and it seems like the same thing is happening! UGH I would like to hear some tips from anyone who has been successful while training hard.

Replies

• chesh1520
    chesh1520 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know that I lost about 100 lbs over the past year doing strength and cardio workouts. I started training for a 1/2 marathon about 6 weeks ago by running 4 days, strength training 2, and off 1 day. My weight loss has halted. I am a lot more hungry so I am eating more calories than I had been. That is what I attribute the stall to. Would be curious if there are other physiological reasons also.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    After long runs I retain up to 4 lbs of water for up to two days. I only lost about 5lbs training for my first half marathon BUT that's actually fairly on target with my calorie goals (I tend to go over on weekends leading to a deficit that should be about .5lbs a week so for ten weeks of training that's what happened!)

If you stick to a calorie deficit that sustains you I think you will lose weight it just may be masked by water retention. Pay attention to whether or not your body changes as well. Despite my weight only changing about 5lbs I went down a pant size at the store where I buy my running leggings, and I definitely felt slimmer. Bottom line- if you are not really focused on maximizing speed and such, you should lose weight and inches if you stick to your deficit. Good luck!
  • tzur21
    tzur21 Posts: 29
    Options
    I totally agree. I just ran my second marathon, and I weigh more now then I did when I started. For me it was the long runs that did me in. I would carb load before my run and then after I would be so hungry I would overeat again after. In in my head I had an excuse, b/c I had burned so many calories running. Clearly I was ingesting more than I burned. I think for me it was a sign of my stuggle w/ eating. The same reason I gained more weight that I should have when I was pregnant. Becuase in my mind I had an excuse.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Are you mixing up the training or just sticking to relatively long runs ? I did my first Half yesterday and I'd done 3 1/2 months training and in that time I probably only did one run a week (occasionally 2) but only twice did I go over 10miles. Short sharp distances, I'd do a 3mile run at about 8min mile and then 5mile at about 7.30min mile. I've been maintaining but if I was set on a losing calorie allowance I'm sure I'd of dropped.

I know this isn't much help but it's the best I can do
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A trainer at the gym told me you need to do some sprints, runa minut walk a minute to help boost your metabolism.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    weight loss comes down to maintaining a calorie deficit. Training is training. They are not mutually exclusive.

I ran a half yesterday and have been losing pretty steadily for the last month or so (since I recommitted myself after getting lazy).
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It's all about tracking food and the correct calorie burn estimate. I lost when I ran my first 2 last year. Actually I got to the point where I was losing too much and I was always tired.

My advice, calculate your TDEE, don't eat too much below it to limit the risk of injury. If you have a HRM, use it to calculate your total burn during runs. Track everything. It's all about figuring out what works for you.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15 lbs training for my first half. After that I lost 8 more while just running. I started training for a marathon this year and have lost 3 more lbs. Total I've lost 26 with running and eating well. I do switch things up. I do my shorter runs around 8-9 minute miles and my long runs at 9-10 minute miles. On my short runs (7 miles and under), I don't eat back my calories. On my long runs I will usually go a little bit over but I won't eat them all back. I always carb load before a long run and make sure that I eat healthy, filling foods when I get back.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Are you mixing up the training or just sticking to relatively long runs ? I did my first Half yesterday and I'd done 3 1/2 months training and in that time I probably only did one run a week (occasionally 2) but only twice did I go over 10miles. Short sharp distances, I'd do a 3mile run at about 8min mile and then 5mile at about 7.30min mile. I've been maintaining but if I was set on a losing calorie allowance I'm sure I'd of dropped.

I know this isn't much help but it's the best I can do

I am running 2 5's, and one longer run a week (running with a club so it varies).

I am also lifting 2-3 times per week.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    5 miles that is not 5k :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I did 13 miles on Saturday, ate a ton of food that day and ate normal yesterday and today. I stay pretty much the same weight. If I wanted to lose I would just short myself 500 calories a day.

Losing weight is easy if you're training for a half. The hard part is not over eating. I honestly don't think it's necessary to carb load just for training runs. That is what's biting people in the behind on this. Of course you should eat back your calories burned from the run but there's no need to eat a huge abundance of food other than that. I didn't eat extra the day before. Just keep a good steady diet throughout the week.

If you want to eat some extra the day before the race that would be good but to do this every week is going to cause you some problems with weight.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago and have lost about 35 lbs in that time. I'm doing my first half in 3 weeks. Losing has been slower the last 3 months, but that's directly attributable to poor eating (not related to running!) and LESS exercise (due to bad weather in MI). But I'm still losing, just more slowly than I'd like.

My guess is just that you're eating too much. If you're staying within your calories (for weight loss) than you're probably overestimating your burns. I did an 11 mile run yesterday (I'm slow - took me 2 hrs 33 minutes) and my HRM said I burned 1491 calories (after subtracting out 169 calories for my BMR).
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am on week 11 of a 14 week training plan for my first Half. I run three times a week (2 x 5 miles and a long run), cross train three days a week and have a day off. Cross training is 1 x Spin, 1 x BodyPump and 1 x gym cardio session. I am very careful in making sure that I choose healthier foods, lots of brown rice and pasta, lots of veggies, although I do eat chocolate or flapjacks ion moderation pre-run as a snack). I do weigh my food, so as to ensure that I don't over-compensate, and I track all my exercise with either my Garmin or a HRM and eat most/ all of my exercise calories back. I drink lots of water, throughout the day, as well as sipping it during a run.

I have been losing, although rather more slowly than before; but more than that I have completely changed shape!! Suddenly getting loads of comments about how well I am looking, and how much trimmer I seem. Oh, and none of my clothes fit :laugh: The focus for me is good nutrition rather than weight loss at the moment, but it in my own experience it is still possible to lose safely whilst training for a Half.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The average person gains 10 pounds while training for a marathon. It's tough to lose while training so hard.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/weight-gain-marathon-training/
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The average person gains 10 pounds while training for a marathon. It's tough to lose while training so hard.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/weight-gain-marathon-training/

Don't doubt that for a second, for a Full Marathon, but the OP is training for a Half. Hard, but not nearly as hard as a full to be fair.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

No, they don't, and even the article calls weight gain during heavy training an "anomaly".

As the article says... over estimating calorie/energy demands is the biggest reason people gain. That, or they are using it as an excuse to eat more.

Train all you want, sustain your deficit and you'll continue to lose. I don't care if you're running 3 miles or 30 miles... a deficit is a deficit.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    After long runs I retain up to 4 lbs of water for up to two days. I only lost about 5lbs training for my first half marathon BUT that's actually fairly on target with my calorie goals (I tend to go over on weekends leading to a deficit that should be about .5lbs a week so for ten weeks of training that's what happened!)

If you stick to a calorie deficit that sustains you I think you will lose weight it just may be masked by water retention. Pay attention to whether or not your body changes as well. Despite my weight only changing about 5lbs I went down a pant size at the store where I buy my running leggings, and I definitely felt slimmer. Bottom line- if you are not really focused on maximizing speed and such, you should lose weight and inches if you stick to your deficit. Good luck!

Just FYI, this water retention problem was happening for me too (about 5lbs retained during my goal race!). My dad (Physician and Ironman age-group champion for the Kona Ironman,(I know, intimidating for me too)) told me I probably had a little bit of Hyponatremia. You might want to look into this, as it can get pretty dangerous if it's severe. I encourage you to figure out what the water retention's from so that you don't have any problems down the road. I ran 8 mi yesterday with much less water (I was overloading before and during runs in the past) and higher salt intake the day of (although I've yet to reach the pre-set sodium number on MFP, I'm usually at around half to 3/4), and I'm feeling really good today, no noticeable swelling (in my hands and ankles or on the scale). This doesn't really do anything for weight loss, but I thought I'd put that out to you as it was very helpful to my recovery, and therefore subsequent "smaller" workouts will be easier.
  • tcoumbs13
    Options
    You shouldn't be training and trying to lose weight at the same time. Athletic training requires you to fuel your body properly, without calorie deficits. You're quite likely to lose inches, but should not be focusing on losing weight during your training. Try having a protein shake after long runs to provide quick protein to keep you feeling full. Wait a bit and drink water, then re-evaluate your hunger. It really helps me :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while training for a half marathon--I did it two years ago, and am doing it again right now. Keep your deficit small (250-500 calories/day, to lose .5 to 1 pound a week, depending on how much you have to lose) and eat back your exercise calories to make sure you're properly fueling your runs.

In 2011, I ate at a deficit from early January through about June. I trained for a half between late January and early May. In those six months, during most of which I was training, I lost over 30 pounds.

I have less to lose now, so am at the smaller deficit, but since January I've still lost 8 pounds, and have set PRs in the 3 races I've done so far this year. So something is working!

My other advice is to go to maintenance about a week before the half-marathon, to make sure you're fully fueled for the race. Best of luck!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Just FYI, this water retention problem was happening for me too (about 5lbs retained during my goal race!). My dad (Physician and Ironman age-group champion for the Kona Ironman,(I know, intimidating for me too)) told me I probably had a little bit of Hyponatremia. You might want to look into this, as it can get pretty dangerous if it's severe. I encourage you to figure out what the water retention's from so that you don't have any problems down the road. I ran 8 mi yesterday with much less water (I was overloading before and during runs in the past) and higher salt intake the day of (although I've yet to reach the pre-set sodium number on MFP, I'm usually at around half to 3/4), and I'm feeling really good today, no noticeable swelling (in my hands and ankles or on the scale). This doesn't really do anything for weight loss, but I thought I'd put that out to you as it was very helpful to my recovery, and therefore subsequent "smaller" workouts will be easier.

I appreciate it,but I'm quite certain it's just from my muscles recovering. It's what those jerks do!