any 1200 calorie success stories?

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    One more thing.... 1200cal+6 days in the gym?!? Have fun when your weight loss plateaus, and it will... You can either cut more calories and become anorexic or you can up your activity level until you get injured and fail miserably.

Mine didn't. Never had a plateau, now at goal. Thanks for your internet doctoring, but well...it's worth about the same as most information on the internet...aka...not much.

My muscle mass only decreased slightly as well...as it does when anyone eats as a deficit.

Do what works for you...and not what doesn't. What people don't need to do is assume what works for them will work for others and lecture people, with abusive language as well. I was pretty sure that was a violation of this forum.

Me either 15 months and I've never plateaued yet. My metabolism must be doing just fine.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

LMAO no I'm only defending my belief. I have the right. Why do you assume I'm hungry or angry. Well I'm angry but only because of people like you trying to shove down my throat unwanted advice on what I should be doing I'm pretty sure that's unwanted calories and I've logged for the day and don't need extra. I don't get angry because I'm hungry I just go get food, like the rest of the human beings in this world. But you are giving me a headache, thanks bunches for that.

tumblr_kssrm7ReEQ1qzraqfo1_400.gif
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love how people want to do the "science works exactly the same for everybody" argument. Right. That's why there is only one anti-depressant necessary for everyone, one form of chemo for everybody, one antibiotic for everybody, etc... Because we all respond exactly the same to these things. *eyeroll*

The fact is that if you have certain health problems, you may need to eat significantly less or more than other people. Go with what your doctors and/or nutritionists recommend, even if it gets shot down by the internet "professionals" on MFP. Only you & your medical professionals know what is best & works best for YOU. If 1200 works, more power to you! If it doesn't, look at changing things up. We are all individuals, even on a cellular level.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can eat that much, but I seem to be losing more weight by eating more, including treats. I don't know if it's just my body. I'm doing the 30 day shred too which has helped a lot. Find out your TDEE and eat 20% less. It's working for me! Sometimes, I eat more than it, and I lose inches or weight. Weird, huh? :smile:
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    You can eat that much, but I seem to be losing more weight by eating more, including treats. I don't know if it's just my body. I'm doing the 30 day shred too which has helped a lot. Find out your TDEE and eat 20% less. It's working for me! Sometimes, I eat more than it, and I lose inches or weight. Weird, huh? :smile:

Not weird at all, just what works for you. :happy: Awesome job
  • tmauck4472
    Options

LMAO no I'm only defending my belief. I have the right. Why do you assume I'm hungry or angry. Well I'm angry but only because of people like you trying to shove down my throat unwanted advice on what I should be doing I'm pretty sure that's unwanted calories and I've logged for the day and don't need extra. I don't get angry because I'm hungry I just go get food, like the rest of the human beings in this world. But you are giving me a headache, thanks bunches for that.

Why the eyeroll? Please go ahead and come at me I can take it but hope you can too
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Not weird at all, just what works for you. :happy: Awesome job

Thank you :smile:
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Why the eyeroll? Please go ahead and come at me I can take it but hope you can too

Oh stop it. We're all grown ups here, for crying out loud. I just find your defensiveness pretty telling. And the eye roll? That was at the "you are giving me a headache, thanks bunches for that" portion of your ranty little comment up there. Maybe it's time to walk away... maybe go get some fresh air... if a bunch of people who disagree with you are giving you a headache.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You should not set a calorie goal without considering the associated items - hunger and satiety. Hunger defines how many calories you need to eat before getting a full stomach, while satiety is that feeling of pleasure you get once you feel you had enough.

I used to overeat at every meal and snack in between while trying to control my calories. Giving up sugar and going on a low-carb, high protein diet with lots of water and multivitamins has worked wonders to my satiety. I feel full easily and my calorie intake dropped from about 3500 calories to 1000 calories. Try to cut back almost all sugar and go on a low sodium diet. Carbs are essential if you are during high intensity exercise.

Personal experience, 1200 calories is too low. I had upped my calories to 1500 and now that I am weightlifting, need to up them again to 2000 calories.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a thread about 1200 calorie success stories of over, say, 5 years. If you are morbidly obese the health problems associated with the weight probably outweigh the long term effects of under eating. I find that the extreme, arguably unhealthy methods of weight loss have the most dogmatic people in the group. These are the groups where the snowflakes seem to land. They are different and the science doesn't apply. I have determined that in the end, that for whatever reason, they must deny themselves food. Perhaps it's a badge of honor to them to say they only ate 1200 calories. I have serious doubts that anyone sustains it for years, much less for a lifetime. Too much risk for me long term. Slow and steady for me, but I'm not a snowflake.

Sure you are and you seem to be the special special snowflake. What you refuse to see is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. No matter what is supposed to happen to everyone does NOT happen. If that were the case we'd all have cancer or no one would. We'd all be fat or no one would. We'd all lose weight eating a certain amount or we'd never need to worry about it. Everyone is different and we are all special snowflakes, EVEN YOU. And give us time for the 5 years to get here, we'll show you, maybe not all of us, but in all honesty even you people who eat more than 1200 will fail and go back to enjoying 4000 calories a day. Maybe not all of you but some sure will. Eating 1200 has nothing to do with failing and giving up, it has to do with getting tired of having to watch what you eat day in and day out. It has to do with the person and their ability to maintain so yes even folks from EMTWL group will certainly fail. Maybe even you.

No, I am not a snowflake and you probably aren't one either. Science doesn't discriminate. There is a reason you won't find many, if any people who eat 1200 over 5 years, because they are not out there. I may fail, but it won't be because I deluded myself into thinking starving myself was the proper approach or listening to people who lost over a short period of time and called it a success. Osteoporosis is a real scientific condition, and under nourished people are at higher risk for it. You go ahead, I think I will just eat and keep my bone mass.

No you will fail because you've deluded yourself into thinking that eating all those calories that made you overweight to begin with is still the way to go. You can still get in the right nutrients eating 1200 calories after all your only eating that amount until you reach your goal weight then you will up your calories to a sustainable amount. NO ONE will eat that low for the rest of their lives because once we hit goal weight we will have to increase the amounts so that we just maintain. DUH!!!! I got this but thank you very much. And science does not discriminate is bs because again if that were true for everyone we'd all have cancer or non of us would, we'd all be overweight or non of us would. What works for you may not work for me because my body reacts differently to certain things than your body does.

and YOU, yes.. YOU, your diary scares me. You eat at MOST 900 calories in a day, in the past 2 weeks, you were generally netting like 500 calories a DAY. there was a day i saw that you ate 700 some, and then you burned 600 some from exercise. i had to stop looking at that point. how on earth do you think that its healthy for a grown adult to eat that few of calories? Whatever metabolism you have left, hates you.

Don't look at my diary if I scare you so bad. You have no clue as to how I should be going about my eating.

What I do is not any of your business. And my metabolism works just fine, still losing 10 lbs a month so yeah my metabolism works just fine thank you very much. Imagine that over a year of eating the way I eat and I'm still going strong, goes against what you say should happen to me, shows you know nothing about what your talking about. I have tons of energy, and I workout 3 or so times a week. This is how I know what I'm talking about, it works for me and my doctor is thrilled with what I'm doing because I'm no longer morbildy obese. I was very unhealthy at 413lbs and at 228lbs I'm so much healthier and happier. And the doc's have no desire to change what I'm doing. WHY you ask, well because at 413 lbs I was at risk for a multitude of health issues and while I may still develope some issues they will nothing to do with my weight. I did not have WLS but eat the way they eat for me not for you and I don't give two figs what you think. I eat very clean and very healthy which is way better than what I was eating before this change. Not a one of these people care what you think or say because you are not our doctors(nor are you anyone's)you are only someone who thinks they know everything there is to know about weight loss. Why do the EMTWL people get so nasty when someone disagrees with the their thinking, and why did you feel the need to check out MY diary? Why do you think my diary is any of YOUR business? I don't ask you to eat the way I do and I don't ask anyone else to eat the way I eat. I do this for me, you do what you got to do for you but please please please understand it's not for everyone.

And if you want to contiue this conversation take it private, because I'm done on this page with you anyways. The OP wanted to hear success stories not EMTWL people with attitudes.

you know why WLS patients eat like that.... prepare yourself...

they had weight loss surgery! i know... mind blowing huh
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Oh stop it. We're all grown ups here, for crying out loud. I just find your defensiveness pretty telling. And the eye roll? That was at the "you are giving me a headache, thanks bunches for that" portion of your ranty little comment up there. Maybe it's time to walk away... maybe go get some fresh air... if a bunch of people who disagree with you are giving you a headache.

Are you trying to gaslight this poor woman?

"you seem hangry" is a snarky comment clearly intended to provoke. It's not a simple difference of opinion.

"and YOU, yes.. YOU, your diary scares me.." is also provocative and personal.

"you are giving me a headache," did not take this conversation anywhere new.

We may all be grown ups here but few of us are acting that way.
  • jennytessman
    Options
    To the original poster.... and everyone reading. I may have only been on MFP for a few weeks now but you all do realize the 1200 is with no excercise. So in you burn calories during they day you should be eating them back.
  • tmauck4472
    Options

I'm not getting the headache because people are disagreeing with me I'm getting the headache from having to defend myself and other who eat differently than they do, that is all. I am pretty defensive because I have to be when the EMTWL group invades a perfectly innocent thread and gets ugly with those who believe differently than they do. And your are right, walking away is my best option.
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take 1200 as a guideline/starting point. On those crappy days where I sit inside and read all day, I try to not go much under. On the more active days, I try to stay between 1200 & 1500 and watch that I am not "wasting" calories on junk food.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

I was one of those people who ate 1200 calories and kept it off for 5 years BUT I was always tired, run down and cranky. After the 5 years, I started eating more and I started to gain weight. I didn't understand how many calories I should eat to keep myself healthy. Now I am eating around 1800 - 2200 calories and lifting heavy. I still weight a lot more (80 pounds more) than I did but my pant sizes are going down and I am strong.

Also, when I tried to go back to 1200 calories I found that I was always burning out after 5 weeks of hitting the gym hard. Do some research and find out what the best option is. I did and I find eating more TDEE-20% is a much better option then eating 1200 calories, now I have a lot of energy and I am no longer cranky. And when I say 1200 calories I am not talking about net, it was 1200 total minus the exercise I did which was netting only 500 - 600 calories and that is not healthy.

Now I wish all of you success and hope that what happened to me does not happen to you. :flowerforyou:
  • dshbsn
    dshbsn Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on a 1200 cal diet since Jan 7, 2013 and have lost 21 lbs. I am eating small meals and weighing most of my food. I worked with a dietitian to get started. It has not been hard except for certain times of the month but learning to change your eating habits is the most important thing to think about.. I eat from the light menu when I eat out. What ever you try has to work for you! I still indulge occasionally but with smaller portions.Good Luck!
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Hi OP,

I was one of those people who ate 1200 calories and kept it off for 5 years BUT I was always tired, run down and cranky. After the 5 years, I started eating more and I started to gain weight. I didn't understand how many calories I should eat to keep myself healthy. Now I am eating around 1800 - 2200 calories and lifting heavy. I still weight a lot more (80 pounds more) than I did but my pant sizes are going down and I am strong.

Also, when I tried to go back to 1200 calories I found that I was always burning out after 5 weeks of hitting the gym hard. Do some research and find out what the best option is. I did and I find eating more TDEE-20% is a much better option then eating 1200 calories, now I have a lot of energy and I am no longer cranky. And when I say 1200 calories I am not talking about net, it was 1200 total minus the exercise I did which was netting only 500 - 600 calories and that is not healthy.

Now I wish all of you success and hope that what happened to me does not happen to you. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for bringing the word "net" into the conversation. I read posts all the time about 1200 calories but rarely do I see people using net or gross in their conversation and they are two different things. :flowerforyou:
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    Zing!
    The question I have is: if you CAN eat more than 1200 calories/day and still lose weight, why wouldn't you?

Would you lose the same amount of weight in the same amount of time by eating more cals? I think the obvious answer is no. So that could be one reason.
  • atlien78
    atlien78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can't you eat 1800 calories and burn off 600 through exercise and still be at 1200 for the day? Is this the same as eating 1200 calories with no exercise?