How do YOU make hard boiled eggs???

Options

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go boil an egg now :laugh: this thread makes me crave one!

Try making egg salad with an avacado, a little salt, pepper, and paprika. Amazing.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Place eggs in cold water + 1t baking soda. Turn on med-high until boiling. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes. Soak in cold water to stop cooking process. No more pock marked deviled eggs for me.
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The easiest method I've found for making hard "boiled" eggs is to set the oven, yes, the oven at 325-330. Place your eggs in a mini muffin tin. Bake the eggs for 30 minutes.Remove from the oven, place the eggs in an ice bath. Once cool, they are perfectly cooked and peel effortlessly.

You can bake several dozens of eggs at one time, which is what I do.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go boil an egg now :laugh: this thread makes me crave one!

Try making egg salad with an avacado, a little salt, pepper, and paprika. Amazing.
    mmmmhhhhhh sounds delish!! *insert drooling smiley*
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm spoiled.

My husband does them for me
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I let the eggs sit out on the counter for about 20 minutes before I boil them.

Bring the water to a boil, put the eggs in. Boil on high for 3 minutes and then turn the heat down to simmer and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Then I put the entire pot in the sink and let cold water run over them until the pot is cold to the touch.

I've never had a problem peeling them with this method, but I know there are many ways to hard boil an egg.

I do a variation of this.

I put the eggs in tap water in the pot and wait about 20 minutes for the eggs to get up to temperature before putting them on to boil. Once they get to a rapid boil, I turn off the heat and walk away. When the eggs/water are at room temperature, I peel them.

I'm avoiding sudden changes in temperature, and its seems to produce easier to peel eggs.

Could be nonsense though...
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i boil them for like 10min.......take out then let sit for awhile until cool then peel, salt, and eat
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of baking soda to cold water that is about 1 inch over the eggs
    bring it to a boil
    cut the heat and leave for 10 minutes
    remove eggs, drain and rinse under cold water untill cool enough to touch

The shells should come right off, baking soda passes through the eggshell and helps the albumen to separate from the shell.

Eggs tend to cook best when the temprature is gradualy raised, low and slow all around for any egg dish should provide the best results.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I put them in the pot..cover with COLD water, just enough to cover the eggs. Set to boil. Once I get a rolling boil, I cover and turn off the heat - timer on for 20 minutes. They are never greenish in the middle or under cooked. Only problem I have is sometimes they don't want to peel but I've read something about adding baking soda? to help that..but I've not tried it...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The easiest method I've found for making hard "boiled" eggs is to set the oven, yes, the oven at 325-330. Place your eggs in a mini muffin tin. Bake the eggs for 30 minutes.Remove from the oven, place the eggs in an ice bath. Once cool, they are perfectly cooked and peel effortlessly.

I just heard this on the radio the other day. It had never occurred to me to bake them. Haven't tried it yet.
  • hollytho1221
    Options
    the oven method is the easiest no fail way- put them in a muffin tin at 325 for 30 minutes and then put them in ice water for 10 minute, perfect everytime
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I'm going to try this method today. Seen it mentioned several times lately by different people on different sites.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    File this under the Dumb Question of the Day but yes, how do you make hard boiled eggs?

This is not a dumb question at all because despite popular belief it actually takes the right timing and temps to make the perfect boiled egg.

This is how I get perfectly hard boiled easy to peel eggs with perfect yellow fluffy yolks:
    1. My eggs come out of the fridge so they take a bit longer to cook.
    2. Place eggs in bottom of pan fill with cold water to just cover the tops. (little fyi: eggs that sink are fresh, eggs that float up a bit but bottom still remains on the pan are OK to eat, eggs that float are spoiled)
    3. Turn the burner to a medium-low flame and cover.
    4. Watch those eggs the minute the water starts to boil turn off the flame and let them sit for 12-15 minutes depending on how hard you like the yolk (I like mine hard so they sit for 15minutes)
    6. As soon as your timer goes off get those bad boys under some cold running water and get them cooled off (this helps to make them easier to peel)
    7. I usually leave the water running for a bit to cool them off. You can also put ice in it, but I found that they were still a bit hard to peel.
    8. Once they are cool pop them in the fridge or your mouth and enjoy!

Eggs wonderful things they are.
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    Wow, I never knew there could be so many different ways to cook an egg and some are complicated!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never knew there could be so many different ways to cook an egg and some are complicated!

I know, right??? Now I have 50 more different ways to screw up my eggs.....lol.

Seriously, thanks for all the responses! :wink:
  • Mindochka
    Mindochka Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Seems to be lots of ways to cook them...and I have tried a few. BUT, the biggest help for me is the ice bath OR even just peeling them under running cold water. Slides right off.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My grocery store (Harris Teeter) sells them by the dozen already hard-boiled and peeled for only 25 cents more than a normal dozen! I put them in a ziplock bag with a couple of paper towels, and they're good for a week to ten days in the fridge.

this

i usually prefer to always cook things from scratch whenever possible... BUT.. life it too short (and i have too many other things to do), so i refuse to feel guilty about buying pre-cooked, pre-peeled, hardboiled eggs when having them all ready in the fridge often makes the difference between a good and a bad 'I'm starving, what can I grab to eat fast?' kinda choice :)
  • glofaulk76
    Options
    bake them in the oven at 325 for 25 mins then put them right in cold water, taste better and you can do more
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    put eggs in sauce pan with water covering the top of all, put on burner (on high). once water is at a rapid boil, turn heat off (leave on hot burner) and cover for 15 minutes. Then rinse and soak eggs (in shells) in cold water

Easy to make and Easy to peel!