How long should you wait to eat after exercising?

Options
And also what food should/shouldn't you eat after exercise?
I've heard many different sorties about this topic such as you shouldn't eat after exercise because you result in not losing any weight? Or you just shouldn't eat carbs? Or you should wait 30 minutes after exercise to give your muscles time to relax?
But what is true? Does anyone know?:)

Replies

• Roo32
    Roo32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on what type of exercise you are doing. If you're doing heavy lifting to build muscle to increase your calorie burn, definitely eat/drink 15g+ of protein immediately afterwards even though you're probably not hungry; about 20-30 minutes after you exercise eat something that will keep you from getting hungry like an apple and PB or egg whites and sautéed veggies.
    If you're doing mostly cardio/HIT for weight loss, just stick with low carb and low sugar food stuffs.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you should eat soon after you exercise.
    If your goal is to build lean muscle mass and lose fat, go for some carbs before and protein after.
    If you don't feed your muscles after working out, they won't grow and increase your TDEE.

I know some people aren't hungry just after exercising, so no comment for those, I do not have any experience in that area.

This is probably different for different people, but if you want to eat after exercising (i.e. are hungry), go for it, that is the best time to eat, because it will most likely be used to repair your muscles.

This is all what I know from my years of experience with exercising and eating, half of my (albeit short) life.

As a swimmer, they recommended chocolate milk because it had the right nutrients for a swimmer after practice. Most lifters say protein is a must after lifting. Both of those are supposed to be within half an hour.

Hope you get some more educated answers too!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.

Eat what fit in your macro, make you feel good and eat when you are hungry.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat right away because I exercise so much and for so long that I am ravenous when I get done. I even eat a small protein snack, like Chobani or cheese or something before I go. Then when I come back I will have some more food. It works for me. Id say it goes by the individual. Listen to your body and eat when you are hungry.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    people will say timing doesn't matter, but the most poplular article quoted on here to support that arguement recommends eating at least three hours before or soon after a workout.

if its solid food your eating, probably better to eat up to 1 hr before a workout, so its actually going to be digested and available during or after the workout.

if its a drink, then after maybe idea.

there are a lot of post exercise suppliments out there, but chocolate milk is a pretty good low cost alternative. a drink with a 4:1 carb to protien ratio is best (chocolate milk is 3:1). its also supposed to be a good time for processed carbs because this plays with the insulin effect.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Keep it simple.

for the most part i complelely agree with this, but if there is any quirky tip that i subscribe to, its post exercise nutrtion.

obviously you are going to want to log that meal and keep it at or under cals/macros
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein whey smoothie when I get home from the gym in the evenings.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep it simple.

for the most part i complelely agree with this, but if there is any quirky tip that i subscribe to, its post exercise nutrtion.

obviously you are going to want to log that meal and keep it at or under cals/macros

Here is a good article.. Essentially, it may or may not matter, lol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872189-alan-aragon-and-brad-schoenfeld-on-nutrient-timing
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a couple of days.,
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    All depends on how I feel. Mostly I wait for about 2 hours but take today for example, 30 mins later I ate something and had a protein shake.

Listen to your body, it's the best advice giver.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    From the research I have done, it depends on whether you are training for something or just exercising/toning for general health. If it is the latter, it seems to make very little difference. It makes absolutely no difference in calories burned. The first case, athletes in training, I will leave for some of the true gym rats to answer but I have seen studies that indicate there is some benefit to when you get carbs and protein around a workout.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    From the research I have done, it depends on whether you are training for something or just exercising/toning for general health. If it is the latter, it seems to make very little difference. It makes absolutely no difference in calories burned. The first case, athletes in training, I will leave for some of the true gym rats to answer but I have seen studies that indicate there is some benefit to when you get carbs and protein around a workout.

well a lot of the articles i read said that its more for endurance atheletes and for workouts lasting more then 1 hr.

but the same articles say you need to depelete your glycogen stores for the effect to work, and even a 30 min weight session should be pretty good at that.

this is specifically for the 4:1 carb to protein ratio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For the vast majority of us, it simply does not matter. If you're a serious competitive athlete, meal timing may give you a slight edge...but for the vast majority of us, we're not going to notice a substantial benefit from meal timing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    my biggest problem with the research i've seen is that all of the supporting evidence is sort of subjective.

they test how quickly someone can complete a 5k or so on a stationary bike, feed on group a post exercise meal, the other not, then put them back on the bike, test their times and basically ask them how they feel. the group getting the exercise meal generally does and feels better.

the real question is, does anything happen on a cellular level that is actually different post exercise thats going to make that meal any more effective then it would be at any other time.

i've never seen an article directly addressing that, although i probably wouldn't be able to really understand it anyway
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you are strength training, you need protein within 30 minutes of finishing your exercise to help repair the muscles. If it's cardio, you don't need to eat.