Protein shakes- Mix with water or milk?

Options

Replies

• 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I refer distilled water --- also I add milled flax seeds (1Tbs).
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk (for the dairy/calcium) and add crushed ice....yummy! My dancer daughter even loves them!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Milk with peanut butter, protein powder, banana, and hersheys chocolate syrup.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MILK of course!!!! And throw in a egg while you are at it!!! Milk has protein so yeah :bigsmile:

^^^^ this this this ;)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like buying the premade Naked Protein Zone ones they are really good and don't have a wierd aftertaste at all.

But you can make your own in a blender that is awesome with 1 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese,1 Cup Skim Milk,1 Tbsp "all natural" peanut butter, make sure it says all natural so it has less sugar in it. 5 Large Ice Cubes,1/2 pkg of sugar free chocolate Jello pudding mix. Saw the recipe for this on youtube and it has like 45grams of protein more than alot of the kind you buy so its cheaper and a great deal mixing your own in a blender.
  • mishacarlson
    mishacarlson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually mix mine with coffee. I brew a pot of strong coffee, cool if off and put in in a container in the fridge to pour from each morning. I mix with that and sometimes a splash of almond milk.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hands down, milk....it usually take my shake with frozen fruit and 1 cup skim/1 cup 1%....it essentially turns the protein shake into a smoothy
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I mix my whey with water during the day. At night I'll mix it with milk for the casein.
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use either regular (1%) milk or almond milk (chocolate or vanilla). It just tastes better that way.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    They taste a lot better blended with ice and some 2% milk. But just do whatever works for you.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond/coconut milk blend here. Makes my chocolate shakes taste like Almond Joys :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I use 30 calorie/serving (8 oz.) vanilla almond milk.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Fewer calories with water, but it tastes like mud......I like cold milk, either 2% or soy/etc, and shake it in a bottle. It gets thicker and tastes better!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I go with the theory...why limit yourself to either/or? I first tried it with water and it wasn't terribly pleasant. So I figured I'd try 1/2 water and 1/2 2% milk...and that gave it just enough of a creamy taste that I continue with that. Cuts the extra calories in half from full milk.
  • caseyann20032003
    caseyann20032003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened Almond Milk
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I personally like it better with water. It's a little to thick and rich for *my* taste if I mix milk with it. That said, a lot of people like milk mixed in better. And, as others have said, if you need the extra calories, mix it with milk.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use Hood Calorie Countdown milk, way less sugar than skim milk...and a little less calories as well.
  • Jennjfit143
    Options
    Try coconut water!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Milk with peanut butter, protein powder, banana, and hersheys chocolate syrup.

Lol this is my favorite recipe. I only do this once in a while, though. Usually I mix mine with Vanilla Light Soy.