Taking the Plunge to Eat Clean

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Well, what's your definition of real food? I bet it differs greatly from mine.
    That's why people get so hung up. No two people think the same way.

Is it found naturally in nature or is it man made?

HFCS is man made
    Hydrogenated fats are man made
    If you've ever seen how "regular" sugar is made, you'd never agree that it's natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgavNuBRRA

Yeah I agree with you on that - I try not to eat it - I certainly don't add it into any of my food or drinks.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Okay next question: Why do people eat clean?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Because they think it's healthier. People lose weight to look better, be healthier, etc. When they make the decision to lose weight, they often want to "be healthier" too. So they stop eating all the foods that they think made them fat, like pizza and burgers or whatever, and instead eat foods that they heard are "healthy."
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

because we believe that processed foods, refined sugars, synthetic chemicals etc are not what are bodies are designed to digest and absorb. our bodies are designed to run optimally on REAL food, so that's what we give it.

I want to avoid disease, I want to recover faster, I want to be able to handle anything thrown at me physically and mentally, I want my body to last a long time, I want to be doing yoga when I'm in my 80s. That's why I eat clean.

i''m sure everyone has their own answer though.
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you ate when you are hungry( and only then!!), until you are satisfied, not going by any specific meal patterns or eating something because you feel like it, now that is when you don't have to log, because you are satisfying your bodies natural instinct to eat when hungry. But honestly other than that, I would still log.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you ate when you are hungry( and only then!!), until you are satisfied, not going by any specific meal patterns or eating something because you feel like it, now that is when you don't have to log, because you are satisfying your bodies natural instinct to eat when hungry. But honestly other than that, I would still log.

Erm, I can talk myself into being hungry anytime. That's how I ended up here.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options

It tastes better.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yeah really. The "listen to your body" thing might work for some, but not for everyone.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You certainly can try it. Just know you can overreat clean foods and do enough damage on your cheat day to keep your wheels spinning and make no progress at all. You could also feel full more of the time and have a desire to eat less and naturally eat at a calorie deficit and lose weight. I hope its the second one. Good luck!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Yeah really. The "listen to your body" thing might work for some, but not for everyone.

Yup. My body says "I'm thirsty...I need a milkshake!":tongue:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    there's a difference between listening to your body and giving in to cravings.

a big difference.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

1. I eat "clean" because it fits into my personal locavore food philosophy... eat organic local produce, grass-fed local beef, pastured local pork, eggs, chicken, support CSAs. Of course I can't eat that way 100%, but I still make the effort when I shop. I buy most of my food groceries from a local organic delivery service, and only shop at the market to supplement that as necessary. I buy in bulk when I can to cut down in cost.

2. As someone at extremely high risk for diabetes, it's critical for me to keep my weight down. I know from experience that I enjoy and can sustain a lower-carb diet better than anything else, so I eat a Paleo version of "clean" which for me is a nice blend of lower carb and high quality food. Paleo doesn't have to be low carb, but I choose to make it that way. I'm probably 90/10 compliant.

3. Eating clean helps me keep to a lower cal goal. I'm only 5'1, and TDEE - 20% is around 1360 cals for me. Not much. I aim for 1400-1500 cal/day, and I can get much more delicious and filling food for my calorie buck if I eat Paleo/clean than if I fill it with less nutrient-dense food.

4. I have toddlers and I'm 43. For me, it's not just about weight loss. I want to be alive and with a functioning brain and body for as long as I can. I feel like I'm on the right path, and learning more every day. I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting along with Paleo, both to burn out the last few pounds to get to goal but also to reap the benefits of lower IGF-1 values. Still trying to decide which flavor of IF will fit best into my lifestyle.

5. I'm trying to set a good example for my toddlers. They don't eat Paleo and I would never force it on them unless they began to show food intolerance or behavioral issues. I do want them to understand that healthy foods like meats and vegetables can taste great and that we can make choices to eat foods that make our bodies feel good.

I'm not perfect (I ate Whoppers at the movie theater yesterday!). But that's ok. Eating clean is a life-long goal, from meal to meal.

Now... off to eat my decidedly UNCLEAN protein shake after my 18 hr fast.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Sure doesn't work for me! That's how I got 20 lbs overweight. My body says it's hungry all the time.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what others think on this:

So if I decide to take the plunge to eat totally clean with one cheat meal per week, I really shouldn't need MFP now should I? It would alleviate the time having to look up all these "clean foods" and would make more time to focus more on exercise and eating clean, correct?
    I am thinking I would like to try this approach and come back to MFP in 3 months and tell yas how it went. The actual plan will be this:
    Eat clean all the time but have 1 cheat meal a week.
    Badminton once a week
    1-2 walks/jogs per week with the baby
    Strong lifts 3 times per week
    Ab exercises on weight lifting days

Thoughts?

I also eat clean, but I still log everything. I do it to keep an eye on my carbs (I love nuts) and also because as I am losing weight I am eating less and it's interesting to have my weight loss on record like this. I would log at least for a while, clean doesn't automatically mean you can't overeat, actually, the food tastes so good it might be easier TOO overeat :-)

Good luck with your new lifestyle, I'm sure you will love it.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

because we believe that processed foods, refined sugars, synthetic chemicals etc are not what are bodies are designed to digest and absorb. our bodies are designed to run optimally on REAL food, so that's what we give it.

I want to avoid disease, I want to recover faster, I want to be able to handle anything thrown at me physically and mentally, I want my body to last a long time, I want to be doing yoga when I'm in my 80s. That's why I eat clean.

i''m sure everyone has their own answer though.

I'm afraid I don't, I share yours :-) I eat grass fed meat and organic produce (I believe it's easier to get organic meat, poultry and produce here in the UK). The only things I eat with more than one ingredient are cheese, Greek yogurt and I had some pate yesterday and today to help boost my rather low calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    At first I wanted to lose weight, but now I'm okay with what the scales say JUST AS LONG AS I fit into my prepreg clothes. Im lifting heavy 3 times a week to try and acheive this goal. I thought with going with clean or cleanER eating that I could acheive the goal quicker!!! Im only 10lbs heavier than prepreg weight but im having the hardest time getting this body changed to get into the small clothes! Belly is is flabby too, plus damage done by too many insulin shots in belly (scar tissue) Plus I know with clean eating my blood sugars will be way better controlled. Clean eating to me is no junk food, no fast food, no processed meats or canned items (besides canned tuna) I also know that I still need to stay within a caloric goal whether im eating healthy or unhealthy foods.

Eating "Clean" or "unclean" really won't make any difference in your weight loss or body composition. Calories and protein are what matter for that.

nope. see the carbs carbs carbs thread and look at my profile picture.

tumblr_lg2hp6AW5n1qgdylfo1_400_zpsdbf52944.gif
  • Shannon_H
    Shannon_H Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm probably late, but unless you eat the same exact thing everyday, same portions, everything...I would still log. I love logging everything I eat because I can see it all laid out in front of me. Especially on those days I eat really well! Plus, it's so easy to do with the app on my phone because I can just take a picture of the bar code. It really takes the guess work out of it. So IMO -- log, log, log! :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    At first I wanted to lose weight, but now I'm okay with what the scales say JUST AS LONG AS I fit into my prepreg clothes. Im lifting heavy 3 times a week to try and acheive this goal. I thought with going with clean or cleanER eating that I could acheive the goal quicker!!! Im only 10lbs heavier than prepreg weight but im having the hardest time getting this body changed to get into the small clothes! Belly is is flabby too, plus damage done by too many insulin shots in belly (scar tissue) Plus I know with clean eating my blood sugars will be way better controlled. Clean eating to me is no junk food, no fast food, no processed meats or canned items (besides canned tuna) I also know that I still need to stay within a caloric goal whether im eating healthy or unhealthy foods.

Eating "Clean" or "unclean" really won't make any difference in your weight loss or body composition. Calories and protein are what matter for that.

nope. see the carbs carbs carbs thread and look at my profile picture.

tumblr_lg2hp6AW5n1qgdylfo1_400_zpsdbf52944.gif

c'mon baby you don't like what you see? :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • wannawear
    Options
    Yes! Do it! I have found such success but read the book "you are what you eat" by Gillian McKeith. It will help you, motivate you, scare you but it is such a good book! It not like a diet book. It explains what foods to eat and why. What foods not to eat and why. It gives you a list of over 100 foods you can eat and never gainweight. You will loose weight! And you don't have to diet or count calories. You will feel better, look better and loose weight.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I ate "clean" my whole life, but still crept up to 215 pounds my senior year of high school - lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, plant-based proteins. Avocados, fruits, quinoa and other "healthy" foods are nutritious, but you will gain weight if you eat over your calorie goals.

Eat clean if it makes you feel good, but from my own personal experience, I'd put more emphasis on tracking calories.