How much money do you spend on food weekly?

Options
After an organic veggie and fruit shopping spree, I got a little criticism for spending too much money at the grocery store. But after cancelling out all the frozen meals and meat that I DIDN'T buy, I actually didn't spend any more than I do for an average week. So this got me wondering, how much do YOU spend on food each week, and for how many people? (My average is $70/week for 2 people, but he doesn't eat at home every day.) Thanks!

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ~ $50/week for just me. pretty damn good considering i eat mostly whole foods and do 3000 cal/day.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I spend $140 - $200 depending on what staples I am replenishing. I do purchase a 1/4 side of beef (processed) every fall and that helps with the food bill throughout the winter. We have 4 of us at home (but there are 4 more who are out on their own that tend to stop by for dinner once a week or so)...LOL that's what we get for having 6 kids I guess!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I'm not buying random junk? about $60 for just me and it's enough for every meal and snack at home. Once a month I'll order protein powder and bars so that adds a bit to my total monthly budget.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I live alone and spend about $125 every 4 weeks =$31.25 a week. I usually have to replenish fruits and veggies on a weekly basis but thats less than $15 additional a week. So less than $50 a week.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.

Please tell me how you spend only $100 a week for a family of 4! I spend $200 a week and desperatly need to cut it down. I am at a disadvantage though that my husband cannot eat poultry of any kind. So I am buying chicken for me and beef/pork for the rest of the family. No junk food (the kids have hated me for 6 months now..lol).
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Right around $50 per week when I average everything out.

I try to keep a stocked pantry for my grains and pasta

Meat purchased usually just once a month (portioned and frozen) saves a lot of $

Eggs about every other week.

Fruit and Veg and yogurt are the only things I buy weekly.
  • sally414
    sally414 Posts: 51
    Options
    Between my husband and I we usually spend $70-90 a week, and we really only buy the essentials for the week (I don't really stock up on pantry items unless it's SUPER on sale).

If we do our shopping at the Target grocery store we save a LOT and usually spend $40-60. I just don't like their produce department, so I shop at the local market for everything.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i spend about $500-$600 per month depending on what i have to restock for a family of 4. This includes most dinners at home, as well as breakfast and lunches for my teenage daughter and my 7 year old, as well as lunches for my husband and I (we work close enought hat we go home for lunch each day). People tell me I spend too much money on food, but this is also generally more towards the healthier end of the spectrum and good food is worth it to me.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My budget for our family of 5 is $500 for the month. So each week may be a little more or less and some months is more if we stock up on things.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    $50 a week for me, pastured eggs and meat and dairy and veggies but I shop at farmer's markets.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    ~ $50/week for just me. pretty damn good considering i eat mostly whole foods and do 3000 cal/day.

Holy Cow... can you tell me how you do that?!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'll be the outlier. Just my husband and I at home, except when college-aged son is home on break. We spend $130-150 per week for food for the two of us (includes cleaning and paper products). That goes to fish three times a week, chicken twice, vegetarian and beef both once per week; fresh vegetables and salad-fixings every night; fresh fruit every day for both of us. Also usually buy gluten-free crackers/snacks, greek yogurt, milk, eggs, cheese, nuts, few condiments. We do not eat any meals out -- including lunches; he works from home and usually has the left-overs while I pack salad stuff. I make home-made granola, hummus, breakfast bars. We're very lucky that we can afford to eat this way, but I am always amazed at how little some folks are able to spend on healthy foods. Maybe living in New England has something to do with the prices?
  • SpinCyn
    SpinCyn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    40-50 $/week for two. It gets more expensive when we need the necessary things like becel or olive oil.....but we usually get some fruits and veggies and healthy already prepared meats (like 2 stuffed muchroom caps for 3$ !!!) ...cereals and cheese also bring up the bill.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Around 30 bucks.
  • CarlyC08
    CarlyC08 Posts: 63
    Options
    This is making me feel better! As I did the math, I realized $70/week for 2 people is just $5 a day each which is NOT too much for all 3 meals, especially considering you can't even buy a "value" meal or a drink for that much! I'm just going to keep spending the money and eating in and eating right. $5 a day is worth it.
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    $300 per week for me and my two teenagers, but that also includes toiletries and cleaning products. Meat comes from a local butcher, dairy delivered by the milkman from a local farm, and fruits/veggies from the farmer's market. Everything else from a regular grocery store. I try to buy organic, local, and/or natural whenever feasible.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Probably around $150-200 for two people, with both of us eating all three meals at home, plus snacks. This includes lots of fresh veggies, chicken, pork, fruit, and dairy replacements (I am allergic, so we buy soy yogurt, which is a bit pricier than regular yogurt, and almond milk). This also includes paper and cleaning products, as well as pet supplies, so it may be that we are actually spending less than I really thought. I have been trying to find ways to reduce what we are spending on, but my husband probably eats about 3,000 cal/day, so we tend to burn through food rather quickly.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    $100/ week on average, and I do stock up on lean meats when they are on sale. We are a family of three with a dog!
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    $60 a week for whole foods, and clean meals. Loads of produce!

But I rarely ever buy meat. I just don't crave it.