Canned vs frozen vs fresh vegetables.

Options

Replies

• jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

The best choice is fresh vegetables purchased at a farmer's market.

Yes! And if you have never had produce from a farmer's market you are missing out. Ask around and find out where the closest one is. In my opinion its worth going even if its a little out of your way. I drive 10 miles one way to my nearest farmers market!
  • libbybond
    libbybond Posts: 36
    Options
    Always Fresh - I'd rather save $ riding the public bus than eat a canned pea!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. Actually, it can also be the case that frozen vegetables have even more nutrients than fresh ones. They are being frozen right after they were picked whereas fresh veggies are sitting sometimes several days in the grocery store until you come and pick them up.
    True. And frozen/canned tend to be picked when they are ripe and have more nutrients. So-called fresh vegetables purchased at the grocery store were picked before they were ripe, and then forced to look ripe by exposing them to ethylene gas.

The best choice is fresh vegetables purchased at a farmer's market.

^^^THIS^^^ (or grown in your own garden plot.) :smile:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables are almost always superior in quality to frozen (better texture, more versatile, and more flavorful), and I wouldn't bother eating frozen vegetables on their own. However, they are some that are nice to have on hand to toss into things (e.g. frozen peas for aloo mutter or spinach for a frittata). I like to have peas, corn, spinach, and edamame on hand for those purposes. Frozen vegetables are more expensive but they say they actually have more nutrition than fresh because they're frozen right after they're picked.

I sometimes keep frozen fruit on hand for smoothies but it's ridiculously expensive and there's not much else you can do with it.

The only canned vegetables I'll bother with are tomatoes. Everything else is too salty and mushy to cook with.
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Right. Unless you're going to farmer's markets and consuming the item within a couple days, frozen is usually going to have more nutrients and you get all the benefits of being able to keep for long periods of time and just making what you need.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. Actually, it can also be the case that frozen vegetables have even more nutrients than fresh ones. They are being frozen right after they were picked whereas fresh veggies are sitting sometimes several days in the grocery store until you come and pick them up.

This. I buy fresh when I can, but also you should try to know where your food is coming from. I buy fresh a lot more often in the summertime when it's likely local and I can visit the farmer's markets. Otherwise I'm constantly stocking up on frozen veggies when they go on sale at the grocery. You should see my freezer, I probably have at least 10 bags in there.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    canned veggies taste gross.
    ill buy fresh veggies in season, or fruit and depending what they are freeze them so they last longer (slice up pepper, onion, spinach).
    i also buy frozen veg when they are on sale.
    way better than canned crap
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I will tell you exactly what the nutritionist I had a consultation with told me. The best vegetables most people have access to are frozen. The "fresh" vegetables you see in the grocery store were probably shipped from thousands of miles away. During that time, they lost most of their nutritional value. The best vegetables are the ones you pick from the ground and eat or get at a farmer's market that sells freshly harvested local produce. Frozen vegetables are frozen while they are fresh and the freezing process locks in that nutritional value. According to the nutritionist, here's the order of preference:

1). Freshly harvested, local, organic, farmer's market vegetables.
    2). Frozen vegetables.
    3). Grocery store "fresh" vegetables.
    4). Canned vegetables.

It may seem counter-intuitive at first, but it actually makes perfect sense when you think about it.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    They are all good for you:). I have even heard reports that frozen is better than fresh in certain situations. ( ie. fresh isn't that fresh and frozen was fresher before freezing). I usually eat fresh because its habit, and I find fresh is cheaper. I grow my own too. That is best:)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

This. I buy fresh when I can, but also you should try to know where your food is coming from. I buy fresh a lot more often in the summertime when it's likely local and I can visit the farmer's markets. Otherwise I'm constantly stocking up on frozen veggies when they go on sale at the grocery. You should see my freezer, I probably have at least 10 bags in there.

word. my freezer is mostly frozen veg, some meatless products and 3 bottles of liquor
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    It seems difficult to find frozen diced tomatoes around here, so I tend to stick with the no-salt added canned versions.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    i CANNOT do canned anymore, gave it up for a few months (i used to eat lots), and when i tried to eat some canned green beans i literally got sick. i thought it might be a coincidence but it happened again several other times with different brands and different foods. this just tells me theres something in the preservatives that my body no longer can digest!

canned food just scares me now; how come the water foams when you rince? sketch. it just grosses me out ^^ i think frozen is fine if you cant get the fresh.

It may be the plastic can lining that your body doesn't like--it leaches trace amounts of plasticizers into the food. Another thing that we need to be cautious about is the source for the food. I bought some frozen broccoli the other day and we had eaten half the package before I noticed the "product of China" label. :frown: China is basically an open industrial sewer these days and it is that polluted ground water that is used to water their crops. The frozen broccoli could have been contaminated with lead, arsenic, mercury, PCBs, etc. from that irrigation water. :mad: I threw the rest of the package away. I read EVERY label these days to make sure that the food was grown in North America or even Chile (where we actually have standards about such things). The Chinese glibly poison their own people (remember the baby formula tainted with melamine a few years ago?) What would make us think that they wouldn't poison us? Very few Chinese businessmen have any ethical standards. They routinely fake all kinds of "safety standards" labeling. They are very tricky in other ways, sending a "sample" of a product that is untainted, and then when an order is made for more, shipping a heavily tainted product. And then business men here try to get their money back, only to be stonewalled by the Chinese producer and/or the Chinese government. :mad:
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    BPA should be banned from canned goods and not just baby products. Hormone disruptors: "ain't nobody got time for that!!"
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Frozen does have some small cellular damage, but it's not that bad.

What do you think happens when you chew and then swallow them? ;)

Frozen is arguably better than fresh in many instances.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I use frozen most of the time. I buy the Steamfresh ones. 5 min in microwave & they are yummy. As a working mom they are easy & taste good.

This^^^ I buy 10-15 bags everytime I shop in addition to the fresh ones.
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with any canned vegetables. I stock a good amount of frozen veg that I can quickly use in things like stir fry, soups, or a quick side to go with my protein at dinner such as a green bean.

Fresh is definitely the best way if you don't over stock your fridge.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    [/quote] I agree with jessvaughn74 "This last year I planned in my budget for extra money to be able to buy extra berries from the farmers market and I froze them and I am still using those. If you flash freeze them they last a long time and if you start out with high quality fruit they taste really good."
    [/quote]

I buy from the farmers market also. I flash freeze my veggies in serving size portions, so all I need to do is take out the bag and pour them into the steamer basket... I am on a tight budget also. I spent 23.00$ at the farmers market and when I got home I put up the veggies and I ended up with 31 servings of assorted veggies.

I buy my fruit fresh, but I do buy the fruit cups sometimes.

I hope this helps and good luck.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I do a thing called Bountiful Baskets which is a farm co-op, so we get a 50/50 mix of fruits and veggies from local farmers. I prefer to always use fresh, but many times we get so much I freeze much of what I get. I also buy fresh from the store to fill in for certain fruits and veggies. In a pinch I will do certain things pre-packaged frozen and canned, but not much.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There has been research that suggests that actually, unless you are buying at a local farmers market, that frozen vegetables have more nutrients in them than 'fresh' in your typical grocery store because in order to have the fresh vegetables not rot before getting to market they harvest them before they are ripe so have not fully absorbed the nutrients, while when they plan on freezing the vegetables they wait and harvest them at full ripeness.
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen when I cannot get to fresh. From what I've heard frozen is better than canned. In regards to fruits I prefer fresh.