Snacking at Night

Options

Replies

• JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    aip popped popcorn with a I can't believe it's not butter spray very low in calories gives you that crunch factor
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So militant. I eat about 600 of my 1800 calories a day after dinner. I haven't died yet.

Which would work, it I haven't eaten about 1400 calories before snack attack sets in. When I go over, it's usually by about 200 to 300 calories. Since I"m eating close to my total calories burned a day, it's usually too much.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    shift your eating schedule, i'm the same way, only way it has ever worked for me is to start eating at noon
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So militant. I eat about 600 of my 1800 calories a day after dinner. I haven't died yet.

Which would work, it I haven't eaten about 1400 calories before snack attack sets in. When I go over, it's usually by about 200 to 300 calories. Since I"m eating close to my total calories burned a day, it's usually too much.

By the way, I wasn't calling you militant...I thought I quoted the post that said, "how about just not doing it." We were in the car so I was on my phone. Anyhow, it is a learning experience. Try making your meals smaller or more low calorie and saving calories for the snacks later on. I usually start to get a little paranoid if I have logged breakfast and lunch and don't have 1,000 calories left for dinner and snacks. I am a night snacker for sure. I can rarely fall asleep if I am hungry and if I manage too, I wake up so hungry I might chew off my own arm.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Snack on anything you want as long as you're staying within your calorie goal and hitting your target macros numbers. Time of day doesn't matter.
  • Bolton84
    Bolton84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    if you snack after 6pm, YOU GONNA DIE.

LOL

Dont eat 3 hours before bed. A good healthy snack is a slice of a pickle. A slice is 0 calories
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Snack on roasted seaweed says an Asian.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    carrots and humus? :D hmm snap peas... pretzels aren't so bad... some almonds are also good (ill eat about 10ish and will feel more full) or just try and challenge yourself to avoid the night time snacking; drink green tea, or even drink some vegetable broth (10 cals for a LOT of broth). maybe have dinner a little later?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Bolton always offers his pickle as a late night snack... sorry I had to go there.
  • maggiemaydiet
    Options
    Graham Crackers
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    try nuts, try an apple with almond butter or a banana with almond butter, easy on the almond butter though good fats with lots of calories. Drink lots of water if you can stand it.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    How 'bout just not doing it.

This.

Is the WORST idea I've ever heard.

I've heard worse.

OP, you won't die if you eat after 6 or 7.

It's 8 or 9pm at the absolute latest.

i eat until around midnight, sometimes 1 am.

try and replace things, get the chips out of the house or out of reach if its your husband who keeps buying them (mine gets oreos when theyre on sale, no bueno as those are a binge food).
    unsalted popcorn, rice cakes, sunflower seeds with no salt, fresh veggie slices with either hummus or a ranch dip made of greek yogurt and spices are good snacky foods. pretzels with spicy brown mustard as well. apple slices nuked in the microwave with cinnamon are tasty too
    maybe try and save some calories for later in the day? or walk a little more.
    if you want to totally break night time snacking, try to wean yourself off and see if you can only do it like a few nights a week and get down to no snacking at all.
    but if you can control the snacking, fit it in your macros then no problem.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I have a coconut oil spray (it's like Pam, but not disgusting) that we spray on air-popped popcorn then sprinkle on the salt so it sticks. Adds a minimal amount of calories and tastes pretty darned good. I've also heard of people sprinkling nutritional yeast on popcorn.

I sort of agree with some people saying not to snack. But my suggestion would be to stop the mindless snacking. Just get out of the habit. It's hard, but worth it. Have a snack if you're hungry, but pay attention to eating it.

Oh and I save most of my calories for the evening. I realised after a couple of weeks of using this site that I wasn't hungry until the afternoon and I prefer to eat at night, so I consume all my calories between like 2 and 10 pm. I eat a small "breakfast" at like 2, then the rest of my calories at dinner, dessert, and second dinner or snacks. Works for me.
  • pawpawbears
    Options
    I too suffer from the late night cravings. What I would suggest is to drink 1 cup of water and see how you feel in say maybe 5 minutes. If the craving is still there, try what the gentleman said earlier and leave some cals for your night time snacking. Then drink a cup of water with your snack and I think that will fill you up!! Good luck!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It really is a habit you have trained your self to do. I used to eat about 1500 calories after dinner so that is my weak point to. Some things that have worked for me.

1. Brush your teeth before you sit down for the night! Sounds weird but it works.

2. Some times I have a green tea and a couple (2 or 3) dark chocolate squares.

3. If I have used all my calories for the day that it I just tell me self NO! remember the end goal. Then I go brush my teeth.

Its been 6 weeks and I am out of the habit
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

LOL

Dont eat 3 hours before bed. A good healthy snack is a slice of a pickle. A slice is 0 calories

pickles have calories...if it's under 5 calories they can legally put 0 on the label
    that would mean cucumbers do not have calories, which is not true
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options

LOLOL!!!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Special k chips, popcorn and navel oranges are some of my favorites, I have now replaced the oranges with strawberries and on in to summer it will be cantaloupe and then apples in the fall. Hope this helps:-)
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'll throw down some cottage cheese and maybe some walnuts before going to bed.
  • Dodgefather1
    Dodgefather1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Never eat after 8 pm or you turn into a Gremlin!!