Is this Horrible to think this way??

Options
When I'm working out, and it's really tough or I just don't want to do it, I think of a friend who has weight problems and isn't doing anything about it. I think- You don't want to get like "insert name here". I feel SO horrible thinking that way, but it gets me through my workout. Am I a bad person? I feel like it.

Replies

• Jnet4
    Jnet4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, when I work out and try to keep going I think of people I think look amazing, whether it be a celebrity or someone you know, its just motivation. If it gets you too keep going that's what matters! So if it makes you a bad person I am too because I think " you don't want to keep this weight, you want a body like oliva munn, or tay jardine, or whoever it is that day!" Its your motivation. Use it!
  • carolineo36
    Options
    No way! As long as you are exercising who cares what the motivation is! It is not like you are standing in front of them and saying it to them; who knows you are probably an inspiration to them!

Oh, and GO BRAVES!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you motivated.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    no I don't think it makes you a bad person. Obviously you would never say to this person "hey you are my motivation to work harder." That would be evil. I have used people making mean comments about my weight as motivation. Is it the most positive motivation, probably not. But really, who cares! If it helps go with it.
  • rachelisrued
    rachelisrued Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    a lot of times i get really motivated by seeing very large people. your thinking is normal, at least in my mind.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Whatever keeps you going, just don't ever tell said friend :wink:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd say no, not really.

If, however, you feel bad about it that way, think about someone that looks like your goal - and you're working towards looking like that person. Just be sure your goal is a reasonable one.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Whatever keeps you going, just don't ever tell said friend :wink:

This. Or any mutual friends! lol Don't let it get back to them and I think it's all good!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you motivated.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    and don't add them as a friend on MFP and let them see this post you created..
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it's also good to have mental pictures of where you DO want to go. It's easy to find people doing less than you and feel you are doing better than that. It's harder to realize how much further YOU have to go to get to where you need and want to be.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out, and it's really tough or I just don't want to do it, I think of a friend who has weight problems and isn't doing anything about it. I think- You don't want to get like "insert name here". I feel SO horrible thinking that way, but it gets me through my workout. Am I a bad person? I feel like it.

That is my motivation. My mother's obese, out-of-shape, and little about it. I do NOT want to end up like her.

ETA - my mother knows all the above, by the way.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    No, its not horrible to think it. Just dont say it out loud! :wink:

I find myself saying the same things, but they are to myself, about myself. If I get tired or feel like I'm lagging, I'll say "Cee, move your fat *kitten*! Remember that back pain? Remember that knee pain? You want to keep being the fatty in the room?! Shut up and keep moving!! No excuses, move your *kitten*!"

I'm very hard on myself, but I find it works
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    When i'm working out and it becomes hard and I want to quit, I think about how good I want to look for my husband and it motivates me to keep going.

I don't think the way you are thinking is horrible. It motivates you, you are keeping it to yourself, and it keeps you going...go for it.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think you've got to do what works. If you want a new spin to ease your conscience, I always get an extra shot of endorfins by reminding myself about how much better I look and feel. When I think about where I was and how virtuous it is of me to be out running or eating right, I give myself permission to be smugly proud for a bit. The only thing different for me is that Fat Person X for me is my former self, and I can't feel bad about staying away from that! Also, lets face it, you really don't want to look or feel like those people who pop into your mind do. Give yourself a break, we have this culture nowadays that has gone from saying everyone is equal (equal rights are good, don't mistake what I'm saying) to saying that any kind of behaviour is just ok and that no one should ever be viewed negatively. Every habit isn't just fine, and you are actually ahead of the pack in this sense, and you've earned the right to go ahead and feel good about that! Keep it up!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, I have those thoughts all the time. I look at other people and think:

"If THAT person can be here at the gym working out then I can too"

"That's what will happen to me if I give up"

"He's my age and looks great"

Of course I know nothing about their real situation so I make these judgements about them to motivate myself. If I keep the thoughts to myself is there any harm?
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Does not make you a bad person at all. However, as you likely already know it is better to have multiple motivating thoughts that you can call on to help you. Here are a few of mine:
    - Need to do this to get ready for that first ever Sprint Triathlon I stupidly :smile: signed up for a couple of months ago.
    - I have fun at this Spinning class. It is a great workout and the people are nice.
    - When I was young I was a pretty good middle distance runner so why not now?
    - I have lost "x" lbs, so close to "x+2 or 3" lbs, lets see if I can lose a good part of that in this training session.
    - I have a large dinner planned for today so lets burn some calories to make up for that.
    - I've worked out for 5 days straight lets make it 6.

Hope that helps and keep up your great work.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

No..it does not make you a bad person... But why not drag < insert name here > with you and play it forward?

Go Orioles!