Serious Ab People!

Options
2»

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the answers already given - Eat right, stick to a calorie deficit to lose BF, compound lifts as well as direct ab work to strengthen the are. However, don't overtrain your abs. There is no need to.

I would also add two other things. (1) Be patient! Measure your progress weekly as opposed to day to day - that will drive you nuts.
    (2) get an accurate BF% reading so you know where you are and where you need to get to. Take readings weekly so you know if your BF% is decreasing and you're on the right track.

YES!! Be patient!

Mine took me three years of pretty serious effort, it's a lifestyle change, but it can be fun. I would however suggest that you consider not too drastic a caloric deficit. A mild deficit may work better for you than a severe one. I'm not the best one to speak on that, but there are plenty of posts on the forums that deal with WAY better than I ever could.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm really tired of "Abs are made in the kitchen" - while it helps to make them pop better - its not where they are made. Some people have great genetics that allow less ab work, clean eating and a full 12-pack stomach. But others have to work for it and actually do ab isolating exercises.

Low body fat does help - but I'm around 19% and if I have two clean days - my abs really show! Some can't get abs until they have less BF. Its all about body dynamics. Some never get them!!

Be patient is very good advice!! Ab work, core work and clean eating are sure fire ways to get on the right track!!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'm really tired of "Abs are made in the kitchen" - while it helps to make them pop better - its not where they are made. Some people have great genetics that allow less ab work, clean eating and a full 12-pack stomach. But others have to work for it and actually do ab isolating exercises.

Low body fat does help - but I'm around 19% and if I have two clean days - my abs really show! Some can't get abs until they have less BF. Its all about body dynamics. Some never get them!!

Be patient is very good advice!! Ab work, core work and clean eating are sure fire ways to get on the right track!!
    Some good truth here ^^^

Truly, it's both - diet AND exercise are important if you want abs that "pop". Of course you can see abs if you just starve enough, but they won't look as good as those that've been built up. Like any other muscle they can be developed better with resistance training and made more visible with the loss of the fat on top (thru caloric deficit). Nevertheless, some folks are blessed with better looking abs than others genetically & may require less direct ab work than others to get that look they want. BB-ers do direct ab work for a reason.

Certainly though, there are some folks who will not be as interested in building the size of their abs. Not to sound sexist but I'm guessing more women would be less interested in abs that "pop", so some of this is a matter of preference.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Diet is key.. especially for us women who tend to have more body fat! I don't necessarily think that you need to eat very low calories. You can reduce body fat eating the right foods.

Weighted ab exercises you can try include rope pull downs, leg raises with a dumbbell between your feet, medicine ball twists, v-ups, etc. Compound movements are great as well. And cardio. I have found that fasted HIIT type cardio is great for lowering body fat relatively quickly without sacrificing too much muscle. It's not for everyone, but it has worked for me.
  • territurner908347
    Options
    Following!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Genetics help determine the SIZE and SHAPE of your abs, not the amount of work one needs to do in order to define them or see them pop. You can have the best genes, but if you eat like *kitten* and don't strengthen your core, you'll still have a gut. Every male in my family is predisposed to having a beer gut (myself included), those are my genetics. So the whole "genetics" thing doesn't work with me. It dismisses the hard work I put in at the gym and the commitment I make to a strict diet.

Also, low body fat is the key. Women tend to see abs at BF around 15%-16%. Males start to see abs when their BF gets to about 10%.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Anyone close to me knows that I don't train abs directly and I don't eat clean. I have no issues getting a shredded mid section when I cut.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Why is the "10 minutes a day" idea BS?
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    bumping because I wont remember all of these different exercises on the first page. haha
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Diet, cardio and kill the abs will always produce a great set of abs.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have a similar goal :) Bumping
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    Lots of protein, weighted crunches, and planks for me! Also total body strength training got me my ABS!
  • vleebow
    vleebow Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Most of my work is low leverage bodyweight, with that resistance comes from the core so I have to have super strong abs that can go and go and go. Direct ab work is not optional. My go to are body levers (dragon flags held in the bottom position for time) and L-sits.

But abs are made in the kitchen, you aren't going to bulk them right through the fat.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i recommend replacing all the floor exercises you do for your abs with squats, deadlifts, barbell rows. and if you are already doing this, i suggest also doing trunk rotation exercises and standing crunch exercises using the cable column machine. also, perform hanging straight leg lifts and concentrate on keeping the eccentric movement at 5 seconds. also, walk for a hour in the morning at a moderate pace to heat up the core.

last but not least, it all comes down to diet. track your macros!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    All these RIPPED ABS profile pics with their coresponding responses are pretty impressive. I will be following this thread...
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    *sneaks in for the answers*

Really? You seem to already know what you're doing. :smile:
  • devastation77
    Options
    heavy compound lifts. No need to do direct ab work - I haven't in a few years.

This. Same for me.
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good advice already given. I think that the real key is getting the bf low enough. Some get their sooner than others. This is often caused by fat storage patterns. Some people just store more fat in the core area than others. It will happen but it may take a bit, slow and steady wins the race! Good luck :)
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Bumping!