just depends on the texture you want!
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use milk. 2%.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I use a great whey isolate that tastes awesome without milk. I do add ice to the blender in addition to water to give the shakes a thicker texture, but otherwise, just the powder and various fruits.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    so there isnt no benefit to using water than milk... some people say that the protein breaks down better with water than milk... is this even true?
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    so there isnt no benefit to using water than milk... some people say that the protein breaks down better with water than milk... is this even true?

I'm not an expert, but I think the casein in the milk will fight the faster absorbing protiens for absorbsion, which is why I only mix with milk at night before bed.
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk for me. Used water originally but wasn't a fan to be honest.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference. Some people don't consume dairy, or avoid it. I personally think it tastes better with milk than with water.

Want the best of both worlds? Try coconut water. :)
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I started mixing mine with the 40 calorie vanilla almond milk. It tastes WAY better than water. I'm not a guzzler and I like to ENJOY everything that goes in my mouth.
  • tattyto
    tattyto Posts: 6
    Options
    I use only milk- skim or fullfat home cow milk. It just gives better taste and wins over my sweet tooth
  • fluffywelshsheep
    fluffywelshsheep Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hiya all just new to protein shakes , I have been experimenting with different things so far i have tried
    sweetened soya
    unsweetened soya
    chocolate light soya
    vanilla light soya
    hazelnut milk
    and water

I prefer the last two , I uses pea protein (due to intolerance) and
    The soya milk just doesn't work with it total clash of flavours so i had a go with water and to me it taste like pea soup (which i don't mind) but it is an equired taste i think , I prefer it's chilled/cold make up before my workout and put in the fridge.

Cows milk it unfortuanlly not an option for me , so i can't comment on that.
    I don't like the taste of Almond milk , Hazelnut milk did work but not great on the price so not always an option for me.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I mix mine in a smoothie with frozen fruit, kefir, and coconut milk. I can't stand them with just milk or water.
  • LisforLee
    LisforLee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually do half milk, half unsweetened almond milk blended with ice =)
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Milk.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Water personally, I think on the weekends I'll start dropping an egg in and use my almond milk and have that for breakfast.
  • CassarahW
    CassarahW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coconut milk in mine! I wouldn't ever do cow's milk. Almond milk is another good one. Rice milk and soy milk aren't as good for you. If you like water and don't want extra calories then go with that.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk, blended on ice :) kind of like a shake
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I use cold water when just having a shake by itself. Many times for breakfast I have a bowl of oatmeal, pour on milk mixed with protein and throw on a handful of fresh berries.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Im so awesome!