Creating your own Strength Training Plan

Options
Over the weekend I have been reading the posts about strength training and lifting and have decided that I do not (at the moment) want to go to the gym. I am currently a memeber of slimming world and training for a half marathon in September ( week 2 of C25K).

I read an article about creating my own strength training program:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

I thought it was pretty good so this afternoon I came up with this to get me going:

Quads:
Squats 4 sets, 10 reps

Butt and Hamstrings:

Step ups 4 sets, 10 - 15 reps

Push:

Push ups, 4 sets, 8 reps (I hardly doubt I could manage that!)
Tricep Dips, 4 sets, 8 reps

Pull:

Bentover dumbbell row, 4 sets, 8 reps

Core:

Planks 2 x 1 Minutes
Cruches 20
Mountain Climbers for 2 minutes

I will take my measurements and do this for maybe 2 weeks and then change it slightly to keep my body guessing. I am planning on doing this Mon/Wed/Fri
Along with my running and saturday park fit class I think this is enough to get me fit and healthy.

Anyone have any ideas/points/Advise?

Thanks!

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If I were to create a strength training plan, I'd have to know what I wanted - lift more barbell plates or real world strength (for that I'd use sandbags and kettlebells).

I would train 2 days a week with basic exercises; dead lift, bench, shoulder press, squats. for strength training less is more, and your muscles need a lot of time to recover. For huge heavy days, 3-4 days may be what it takes. If you're lifting while there is ANY soreness it is counter productive as your muscles have not fully healed since the last time.

We may have different opinions on strength training though.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    If I were to create a strength training plan, I'd have to know what I wanted - lift more barbell plates or real world strength (for that I'd use sandbags and kettlebells).

I would train 2 days a week with basic exercises; dead lift, bench, shoulder press, squats. for strength training less is more, and your muscles need a lot of time to recover. For huge heavy days, 3-4 days may be what it takes. If you're lifting while there is ANY soreness it is counter productive as your muscles have not fully healed since the last time.

We may have different opinions on strength training though.

I have no opinions on strength training and no idea either! :P
    My goal is to shrink my body... burn fat... get toned etc
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

while i have no problem with someone coming up with their own program, if you have no opinion and no idea about it you're probably much better served using an established routine. Otherwise you're much too likely to leave out major sections or not realize when you're weak in a certain area and need to pick up the slack
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Chalean Extreme DVD programme.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

while i have no problem with someone coming up with their own program, if you have no opinion and no idea about it you're probably much better served using an established routine. Otherwise you're much too likely to leave out major sections or not realize when you're weak in a certain area and need to pick up the slack

Yes - I think I should justy go back to the gym
  • DiamondLil
    DiamondLil Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just a note - soreness is a normal part of strength training, especially if you're changing up your training plan, going heavier or just starting. When you lift weights, you're actually making microtears in the muscle that when rested sufficiently and fed properly, make your muscles able to handle more (yep - stronger! :-) ). If you wait until you're completely "not sore" before you train again -- you'll end up never training enough. It actually takes quite a bit to overtrain, but you're right to think that overtraining isn't beneficial. That's one reason to not work the same muscle group 2 days in a row. Typically, most strength training regimens are 3-5 days depending on your body split before adding your cardio day(s) with at least one total rest day before you begin again. Most days you'll find you're going to be training something that's sore - that just means you worked it properly & thoroughly.

Truth be told, I get disappointed if I can't get myself good & sore. :-D

(this was a reply to a particular post where someone mentioned working out while sore - it didn't cooperate & get posted under that post though...oh well)
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    If you have to ask for other people's opinions regarding your self made strength training program then you aren't experienced enough to write a strength training program. Use a program that has been proven over and over again like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength. While you are running this program continually try to learn more and more about strength training and, several years down the road, you might know what you need to in order to periodize your own training.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    If you have to ask for other people's opinions regarding your self made strength training program then you aren't experienced enough to write a strength training program. Use a program that has been proven over and over again like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength. While you are running this program continually try to learn more and more about strength training and, several years down the road, you might know what you need to in order to periodize your own training.

I dislike you right now...

Haha ok thanks for the advise. I have downloaded the 5x5 but i dont want to use the gym.
  • mathersb
    mathersb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the You Are Your Own Gym threads?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting plan. And good for a beginner because it's very light.

I wouldn't switch in two weeks though. Not long enough to even see any results much less for your body to get used to it.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    check out Fitness Blender, they are on YouTube and free. They have a selection of strength training/weight lifing routines, broken down my lower body, upper body and overall. I like that they talk you through form and explain what body parts the exercise is working, plus they do the counting for me and for the most part you only need dumbells, though there are some routines that require other equipment.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    check out Fitness Blender, they are on YouTube and free. They have a selection of strength training/weight lifing routines, broken down my lower body, upper body and overall. I like that they talk you through form and explain what body parts the exercise is working, plus they do the counting for me and for the most part you only need dumbells, though there are some routines that require other equipment.

yep agree with fitness blender, very helpful and good website , loads of exercises
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

This.

There doesn't seem to be enough volume and doing 8-15 reps isn't optimal for strength, it's much more "bodybuilder" territory. Although, I don't really think there is a black and white rule for rep ranges.

OP, why don't you follow a program that is already established as a strength program instead of making your own? In making your own, it implies that you have a good amount of knowledge and experience, but by asking for advise from random people on the internet it suggests otherwise.

StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Wendler 531 or Westside BB are programs that are great for strength as far as I am aware. The latter two are Intermediate rather than Novice programs, I think, and I haven't done them so I'm not 100% sure.
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I have been reading the posts about strength training and lifting and have decided that I do not (at the moment) want to go to the gym. I am currently a memeber of slimming world and training for a half marathon in September ( week 2 of C25K).

I read an article about creating my own strength training program:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

I thought it was pretty good so this afternoon I came up with this to get me going:

Quads:
    Squats 4 sets, 10 reps

Butt and Hamstrings:

Step ups 4 sets, 10 - 15 reps

Push:

Push ups, 4 sets, 8 reps (I hardly doubt I could manage that!)
    Tricep Dips, 4 sets, 8 reps

Pull:

Bentover dumbbell row, 4 sets, 8 reps

Core:

Planks 2 x 1 Minutes
    Cruches 20
    Mountain Climbers for 2 minutes

I will take my measurements and do this for maybe 2 weeks and then change it slightly to keep my body guessing. I am planning on doing this Mon/Wed/Fri
    Along with my running and saturday park fit class I think this is enough to get me fit and healthy.

Anyone have any ideas/points/Advise?

Thanks!

IMO this looks more like a hypertrophy routine. When strength training you want to do compound lifts (Squats, Deads, Bench press, Shoulder Press, multi joint movements, ect) at about 80-85% 1RM (One Rep Max). This usually translates into reps of no more then 5reps per set. For strength training look up Starting Strength by Mark Ripatoe or Google Strong lifts 5x5. For one who has not run a strength training routine I think 10reps at the beginner level is ok but after that most strength coaches say that 5reps per set is about the max. I myself am on the Strong Lifts 5x5 and have increased my Bench by 30lbs, Squats by 40lbs and Standing Press 25lbs in about 12 weeks. This is also while still doing my sport of speed skating.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bump to maybe read later
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I don't know what to do then. I should go back the gym and talk to someone there. I want to be toned!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Where is bench, press, and pull ups?

Since everyone is recommending you do SS, if you do it make sure to do pull ups and dips, too. SS is known for turning people into T Rex mode so if you want to try a more well rounded program I'd suggest Wendler's 5/3/1. Always start with a strength based program. You need at least a few months of solid strength training before doing a hypertrophy program or you're wasting your time. You'll have no gains because you didn't set a foundation of strength so you'll be using light weights that won't add any mass.

Just my two cents.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to do then. I should go back the gym and talk to someone there. I want to be toned!!

You dont have to go back to the gym. Just do a little research and you will be golden. Read up on a few of the programs listed above (Starting Strength, Strong-lifts 5x5, Wendlers 5/3/1, Westside BB, ect). A PT at the gym can be helpful but not necessary.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Given you goal of running a half marathon, I don't think it's a bad program. At least not to start. I'd suggest doing it twice a week for about 6 weeks (assuming you are running three days a week). Progressively increase the weight as you go. (For pushups, increase the reps as they become easier. Once you get to where you can do 4 sets of 15, start doing them with your feet elevated. Once that gets easy/manageable do them with your feet on a stability ball. Just make them progressively more difficult). At the end of 6 weeks, increase the weights and lower the reps. A few changes I would make are that I would incorporate deadlifts and I would substitute shoulder presses (from a standing position) for tricep dips. Your miles running are going to increase as you get closer to your half marathon. As that happens, I would also suggest you lower the weight on your squats and deadlifts and perhaps alternate where you do only one of these lifts each workout.