walked a mile barefoot!

Options
So last night I was really struggling to get any exercise in (weekend issue I need to work on!) and after dinner I finally decided to head out for my mile walk. Well I did -- in flip flops and about a block away from my house, one of my flip flops broke! So I decided to keep on going. I ended up having to take the other one off and finished my walk barefooted! I had to walk on the grassy area by the curb/street when I could find some nice grass.

Needless to say, when I got home and took my shower and crawled into bed, my feet were paining me -- with stabbing nerve-type pains in my heel, in my ankles, and up my leg! I don't think my feet appreciated that too much!!

I did not walk as fast as I usually would, but did a pretty good pace and did complete my mile so I logged that mile and claimed those extra calories to my daily allotment!!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm always intrigued by this. Because afterall...it is the natural way to do things.

I know a few people who like to play golf barefoot.

There is a tribe in central Mexico that runs barefoot, and there is even a company that sells rubber "boost" to the cult following of people in the US that like to run barefoot.

I try and go unshod as much as possible, but I don't have a an area that would be condusive to barefoot running wherer I live.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had heard that people in other countries actually run without shoes for competition and such. It is the natural way to go! It was just odd actually walking that mile barefoot! The really odd thing is that when I walk with my tennis shoes, about 1/2 way through my walk -- each and every time -- the outside portion of my ankles kill me. They are so painful and burning hot and sometimes it really interferes with my walking. However, walking barefoot, I had no problems!!!

And I walked the track for my usual morning walk this am. without any problems whatsoever with my shoes and the first time in a really long time no ankle pain!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I walk about 2 miles everyday in Vibram FiveFingers - http://www.vibramfivefingers.com - which mimic the barefoot experience while protecting the foot from hazards like glass, metal, etc. I love them, usually only wear normal sneakers when walking in inclimate weather.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I walk about 2 miles everyday in Vibram FiveFingers - http://www.vibramfivefingers.com - which mimic the barefoot experience while protecting the foot from hazards like glass, metal, etc. I love them, usually only wear normal sneakers when walking in inclimate weather.

I'm going to have to try this.
  • Dcjones
    Dcjones Posts: 12
    Options
    I also have the Vibram FiveFingers ..they are awsome; first day I wore them @7 hours..I was so sore! Now after several months I can wear all day at the pool or lake w/ no soreness.