Wanted: MUSCLE SORENESS REMEDIES THAT WORK

Options
2»

Replies

• funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Pilates. I do classes after my most intense workouts twice a week but also to do some of the stretches I've learned each time I workout (6 days a week) and it really helps stretch out all the muscles and stops them from becoming too sore. Drinking plenty, swimming and warm baths also help.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hydration, hot-tub, massage, foam rollers, ZMA, Phosphatidylserine, heat pads/liquids, stretching, yoga

This plus epsom salt baths, myofascial release or pressure point therapy ( you can do it yourself)

magnesium, voltaren
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Take a low dose chewable aspirin. They are delicious.
  • JennTrudell
    JennTrudell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The pain you're experiencing is usually a result of Lactic acid build up (among other things) the way to help decrease this build up (which in turn lowers pain levels) is to 1) stay very hydrated. 2) after a work out sit in a hot bath, shower, hot tub, steam room, sauna etc, whatever you have available to you. This helps so much. I have heard the cold water version works too, haven't tried it personally but do something immediately after an intense workout to stop the build up. Regular Massages are also VERY helpful! Good luck to you!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Use either deep heat (assumi g you have it where u are) or tiger balm and massage it into the area which aches, gives a heat sensation and relieves the ache for definite! Also once you have this on it will also make stretching abit less painful so do it then, I also recommend taking a hot bath!
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks for all the info... I'm gonna drink EVEN MORE water, do yoga x, and tiger balm....not sure i can brave the cold compress yet. Not warm enough outside for me to even think about sitting in an ice cold bath tub....then go back to Shaun T's INSANITY!!!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hot tub + Aleve
  • Mayanbound
    Options
    My favorite is warm epsom salts bath, squeeze a little orange / lemon / lime to make your skin nice at the same time. Afterwards cover the area with Arnica Gel (use every hour if necessary until soreness is gone). You can pick up at sprouts, whole foods or best price is swansons vitimans.com. They also have Arnica gel tablets, I'll use those too when I really get stiff! good luck.
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In order to understand how to alleviate the pain/discomfort of muscle soreness, you need to understand the cause of it.

Typically, normal cell respiration is an aerobic process, but when the cell's energy demands exceed what can be produced by the aerobic process, it switches to an anerobic process. This results in a build up in lactic acid in the cell. Although you might think so, the increased acidity is not what causes muscle soreness, rather it is the increase in internal cell pressure that causes the problem. (Note: I simplified this description, obviously.) The peak soreness varies from person to person, but typically it is around 48 hours after the exertion. The lactic acid is carried away from the cells through normal blood flood.

Now that you know this, you can figure out how to relieve the muscle soreness.
    #1. Increase blood flow: epsom salt bath, topical applications, light exercise, etc.
    #2. Squeeze the lactic acid out of the cells: stretching, foam roller, etc.

What I do is stretch, foam roller. then light exercise the next day.

Also, read this article from Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of these replies so it might have been said but: foam roller. It'll become your best friend.
  • bafresh
    bafresh Posts: 16
    Options
    Another vote for a foam roller!