What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that it's definitely related to family income. I drive around a lot for my job and I go to the high-end and low-end areas. In the more affluent areas, obese people are not the norm. I got stuck a school crosswalk the other day in a better neighborhood and had about 150 kids pass in front of my car, and I didn't see a single fat one. But if I'm in an area with cheaper housing, more than half would be chubby or bigger. It's cultural as much as anything. I have a theory that kids tend to be about the same size as their mom, and financially successful men don't generally marry obese women.

I don't make much money, but I am educated, and I am an perfectionist. I get very irritated with those poeple who do use income as an excuse to be overweight. You can't tell me that healthy food costs more when an apple costs less than a candy bar. Eating healthy on a budget is about planning. I did it 8 years ago when I had just had a baby, was a single mom, and lost my job. I still do it now, although I am better off than I was at that time. Exercise can be cheap too. You don't need to spend a lot of money to work out at home or take a walk!

One of the problems among the very poor is that they frequently have no working kitchens, even if they are not homeless. The other problem is that a great many of the "working poor" couples are working several jobs each and they neither have the knowledge or the energy to cook healthy meals. One couple that I was helping thought that a healthy meal was a hotdog and boxed macaroni finished by a serving of jello with canned fruit in it. While not awful, it was hardly nutritionally complete. They neither liked nor knew how to cook vegetables. Cooperative community gardens might be quite helpful for those folks but there is little help in getting them going.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people keep pointing their fingers at restaurant portion sizes as a reason for obesity. That implies that everyone eats out 2-3 meals a day and have no other choice, and must always clean their plates.

Instead you should be asking: Why do people eat out so much, if they do? Why do people clean their plates even if the amount of food is too much? Why do people make poor choices at restaurants?

People can binge on bad food without going to a restaurant. People can make poor choices at a grocery store instead of a restaurant. People can eat out too much because they don't have the time to cook, or the knowledge.

Blaming obesity on the fact that the Big Gulp or the Baconator exists is a huge leap from the more academic question of "why do they exist?"

The answer is more like higher stress, harder work for lower wages, less time for shopping and cooking and lack of education...among other things.

You can't deny that portions have a role with it. Not many people have the skill or willpower to stop when they're not hungry anymore. If you have a big portion of good food available, you'll be more likely to eat more of it than if you had a small portion. It's basic logic.

I think people would make smarter choices at the restaurant if they were aware of the calories of the things they are eating, personally. But you don't. Even the 'healthy menu' has meals with 35g of fat or something at times.

As for eating out more than Europeans? Nope. I worked in 5 different places in Paris and only one had a cafeteria. Everyone else ate out for lunch 5 days a week. None of those places even had a fridge or microwave and nobody brought their own lunch.

I agree with your other points though!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I think it's really sad that so many people are obese, including children. I live in NYC where the mayor has had many actions to convince people to be more aware of what they are eating, but people tend to ignore them. I especially like that chain restaurants have to post their calories because I do pay attention to what I'm eating.

I have a good friend who is overweight and is a heavy smoker and I wish she was open to changing her habits, but she's not. I try to talk to her about it, but she doesn't want to hear it.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It is scary. I was walking around New York last summer and saw a tour group of kids. Sadly, I knew they were not American as they all looked athletic and ready to run. Turned out they were French. Not one overweight kid in the bunch.

I know we adults have problems, but it really depresses me when I see kids with soda guts and it's the norm. I'm determined to be a fit parent and make sure my kids are fit and healthy too.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Today, while I was out and about shopping...I saw something that broke my heart and then scared me. Almost everyone I saw, men, women, little boys and girls, teens and even babies...so many people, I'd say 10 to 1 people were/are obese, morbidly obese and overweight and while it sadden me greatly...it SCARED me too. Everywhere I looked people are totally obese and morbidly obese and overweight EVERYWHERE! Of course, I'm one of them, which is why I'm here, but still--it was like something from the movie Wall-E or the Twilight Zone or something:cry::brokenheart: :embarassed: :ohwell: :cry:

I literally started counting how many slim/trim people I saw, because they were so few and far in between--I could literally count them. I saw many overweight people (especially young people) as well, I mean A LOT, everywhere.

What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S. ?

What do you think when you see soooooo many obese, morbidly obese and overweight people(men, women, children, teens and even babies) far out numbering the so-called normal weight (I like to call slim and trim---NOT skinny...I did see a couple/few skinny people (mostly girls) but hardly any skinny/underweight people at ALL). What do you think of this--or do you think about it at all?

What do you think will happen to us as a society--because this isn't news, but obesity seems to be spreading outta control--it looked terrible and sad and scary and I'm super concerned--are you?

Corporate America wants people to be unhealthy so it can continue to make $$$$$$'s from the junk food industry and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s from the pharmaceutical industries who thrive on the ill health of a society to remain profitable.

I live in the UK and the obesity epidemic whilst not quiet as dramatic as the United States, is very noticeable.

Interestingly, even less visible in southern europe and even more than that in Scandinavia.

People can easily beat this by cooking for themselves instead of eating fast foods.

I see often in these forums how so many people ' HATE' eating their veggies..that blatant piece of nutritional ignorance and lack of creativity is all part of the greater problem.
  • overhaul12
    Options
    I didn't give it much thought until I started my ICU clinical rounds for my RT degree. Literally, 3/4 of the people in the ICU are morbidly obese- like every room you looked into. It really hit home for me when I started to notice the hospital populations.

The same thing happened to me in nursing school and then once I started working on the unit. I would say at least 3/4 of my patients are overweight, obese or morbidly obese. ( I am talking about civilian patients, as I work at a military hospital and military members are somewhat within target BMI range. I say somewhat because even military members are getting heavier...) It is in this same group of patients that diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and high cholesterol are running rampant. Nutrition consults are always given to these patients, but it's definitely not enough. To get someone to completely overhaul their diet and the way they think about food and exercise is quite a feat...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I think a large part of the problem is also "food addiction". Here is a link to the proceedings of a recent scientific conference on the subject. The list of presenters and their credentials is pretty impressive. The conclusion of many at the conference is that consumption of sugar (i.e. sucrose) and specifically the fructose portion of it (sucrose is 50% fructose) appears to cause an "anti-satiety" effect and is responsible for food addiction. And nearly all processed food contains added sugar. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

Just from an informal observation of those I have known who appear to be food addicted, I would say that sugar plays a large part in their addiction.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I didn't give it much thought until I started my ICU clinical rounds for my RT degree. Literally, 3/4 of the people in the ICU are morbidly obese- like every room you looked into. It really hit home for me when I started to notice the hospital populations.

...I say somewhat because even military members are getting heavier...) It is in this same group of patients that diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and high cholesterol are running rampant....

Recent research is focusing on sugar consumption as causing all three. Since I stopped eating sugar and simple carbs, my blood pressure has returned to normal, my blood sugar levels are also now normal and my triglycerides and cholesterol are all normal. It would be great if people could understand that their health is in their own hands.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It's a horrible epidemic. It's especially sad when you see children like that and they are ALL obese. I see it all the time at the grocery store, mall, parks, etc. and it almost ruins my day. Literally, it makes me want to cry.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people keep pointing their fingers at restaurant portion sizes as a reason for obesity. That implies that everyone eats out 2-3 meals a day and have no other choice, and must always clean their plates.

Instead you should be asking: Why do people eat out so much, if they do? Why do people clean their plates even if the amount of food is too much? Why do people make poor choices at restaurants?

Apart from the addiction of processed food and the lack of education and healthy options, my guess is that many people, often the poor with little security net, perceive the need to conform to those around them as far most pressing than the more distant consequences of picking up potential pounds. When parents urgently pack pounds on their children, it may well stem from a wish to have them reach a certain height and size to fit in socially the sooner the better and ask questions later. People don't take home the second half of the over-sized restaurant dish because they are afraid no one else is doing it. When they in public pop the straw of a giant Coke-labeled bottle into the mouth of their six month old baby, these parents signal to the group around them that they are a part of the community and as such hope for their approval and support. Surrendering themselves to feel safe within the identity of the norm is beyond why. In their scared mindset, the slightest hesitation to do so might leave them being viewed as, well, un-American!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Apart from the addiction of processed food and the lack of education and healthy options, my guess is that many people, often the poor with little security net, perceive the need to conform to those around them as far most pressing than the more distant consequences of picking up potential pounds. When parents urgently pack pounds on their children, it may well stem from a wish to have them reach a certain height and size to fit in socially the sooner the better and ask questions later. People don't take home the second half of the over-sized restaurant dish because they are afraid no one else is doing it. When they in public pop the straw of a giant Coke-labeled bottle into the mouth of their six month old baby, these parents signal to the group around them that they are a part of the community and as such hope for their approval and support. Surrendering themselves to feel safe within the identity of the norm is beyond why. In their scared mindset, the slightest hesitation to do so might leave them being viewed as, well, un-American!

Interesting point of view. Eating habits in the context of conformity bringing security.
  • SammiSpring
    Options
    Considering the fit people in New York threw when giant sodas were about to be banned, is it really a surprise??
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Today, while I was out and about shopping...I saw something that broke my heart and then scared me. Almost everyone I saw, men, women, little boys and girls, teens and even babies...so many people, I'd say 10 to 1 people were/are obese, morbidly obese and overweight and while it sadden me greatly...it SCARED me too. Everywhere I looked people are totally obese and morbidly obese and overweight EVERYWHERE! Of course, I'm one of them, which is why I'm here, but still--it was like something from the movie Wall-E or the Twilight Zone or something:cry::brokenheart: :embarassed: :ohwell: :cry:

I literally started counting how many slim/trim people I saw, because they were so few and far in between--I could literally count them. I saw many overweight people (especially young people) as well, I mean A LOT, everywhere.

What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S. ?

What do you think when you see soooooo many obese, morbidly obese and overweight people(men, women, children, teens and even babies) far out numbering the so-called normal weight (I like to call slim and trim---NOT skinny...I did see a couple/few skinny people (mostly girls) but hardly any skinny/underweight people at ALL). What do you think of this--or do you think about it at all?

What do you think will happen to us as a society--because this isn't news, but obesity seems to be spreading outta control--it looked terrible and sad and scary and I'm super concerned--are you?

Corporate America wants people to be unhealthy so it can continue to make $$$$$$'s from the junk food industry and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s from the pharmaceutical industries who thrive on the ill health of a society to remain profitable.

I live in the UK and the obesity epidemic whilst not quiet as dramatic as the United States, is very noticeable.

Interestingly, even less visible in southern europe and even more than that in Scandinavia.

People can easily beat this by cooking for themselves instead of eating fast foods.

I see often in these forums how so many people ' HATE' eating their veggies..that blatant piece of nutritional ignorance and lack of creativity is all part of the greater problem.

I tend to be very closed minded with regard to the US obesity problem. Parents need to take a much larger role with their children. Family meals at the table, without TV or cell phones, if sports cannot be a part of your daily lives, then go outside and play. Leave the chips, donuts, soda pop, and all other sugary foods at the grocery store. Make a conscious effort to eat vegatables and that does not mean just corn. Eat an apple a day, cheaper than a candy bar.

With that said, I am not discounting anyone on MFP that happens to be in the obese catagory, at least you are here and putting forth an effort. Good for you and may you achieve your goals.

I have to agree that money does help make being healthy a little easier but I have been on both ends of the financial ladder and though it took a little more effort with less money. Activity and eating right had to be a priority, who wants to spend time wasted at the doctor office? I would much rather be outside enjoying the fresh air and activities with my children.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Wow...something to certainly consider--this is really DEEP to me, what you've said here....
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered why unhealthy foods are so cheap and healthy foods are god awfully expensive. Analysts are always saying the government needs to implement programs for health and all this stuff. I think just switching the prices around would save us all! 4 bags of chips for a dollar. A tiny bag of 10 asparagus sticks for $5.....Drives me nuts! Its to the point where my parents tell me not to buy "healthy food" because its too expensive.....
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    prolly gonna get reported for this and have people yell at me
    but obese people piss me off.
    stop being a fat lazy piece of *kitten*. i shouldn't have to look at that.

i think it's ridiculous, and causing more problems than it's worth (with insurance, equipment that hopsitals have to but bc people are larger, people on the clock getting injured trying to lift fattys at hospitals).

seriosuly, it really makes me angry.

You know there are people with thyroid problems that can't help being fat? Skinny people piss me off too though. ^^
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

I always think of Wall-E when I see this.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that it's definitely related to family income. I drive around a lot for my job and I go to the high-end and low-end areas. In the more affluent areas, obese people are not the norm. I got stuck a school crosswalk the other day in a better neighborhood and had about 150 kids pass in front of my car, and I didn't see a single fat one. But if I'm in an area with cheaper housing, more than half would be chubby or bigger. It's cultural as much as anything. I have a theory that kids tend to be about the same size as their mom, and financially successful men don't generally marry obese women.

I don't make much money, but I am educated, and I am an perfectionist. I get very irritated with those poeple who do use income as an excuse to be overweight. You can't tell me that healthy food costs more when an apple costs less than a candy bar. Eating healthy on a budget is about planning. I did it 8 years ago when I had just had a baby, was a single mom, and lost my job. I still do it now, although I am better off than I was at that time. Exercise can be cheap too. You don't need to spend a lot of money to work out at home or take a walk!

One of the problems among the very poor is that they frequently have no working kitchens, even if they are not homeless. The other problem is that a great many of the "working poor" couples are working several jobs each and they neither have the knowledge or the energy to cook healthy meals. One couple that I was helping thought that a healthy meal was a hotdog and boxed macaroni finished by a serving of jello with canned fruit in it. While not awful, it was hardly nutritionally complete. They neither liked nor knew how to cook vegetables. Cooperative community gardens might be quite helpful for those folks but there is little help in getting them going.

i had no problem eating vegetarian and healthy while on food stamps. people are just lazy and make up excuses
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    prolly gonna get reported for this and have people yell at me
    but obese people piss me off.
    stop being a fat lazy piece of *kitten*. i shouldn't have to look at that.

i think it's ridiculous, and causing more problems than it's worth (with insurance, equipment that hopsitals have to but bc people are larger, people on the clock getting injured trying to lift fattys at hospitals).

seriosuly, it really makes me angry.

You know there are people with thyroid problems that can't help being fat? Skinny people piss me off too though. ^^

So majority of Obese people have thyroid problems? Come on now, lets get real here. Skinny people piss you off? Thats fresh too. :explode:
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered why unhealthy foods are so cheap and healthy foods are god awfully expensive. Analysts are always saying the government needs to implement programs for health and all this stuff. I think just switching the prices around would save us all! 4 bags of chips for a dollar. A tiny bag of 10 asparagus sticks for $5.....Drives me nuts! Its to the point where my parents tell me not to buy "healthy food" because its too expensive.....

Corn and soy are commodity crops heavily subsidized by the government. Corn and soy are used as livestock feed as well as being processed into a host of food additives – the demand for them is astronomical. If you were a farmer and had to choose between growing corn or soy, which would generate tremendous revenue at a subsidized cost to you (70% of soybean value comes from the government), enabling dozens of companies to purchase your crops and manufacture hundreds of processed food products or growing asparagus which can really only be eaten as asparagus and struggle to make ends meet, which would you choose? Not saying it's right – far from it – but it's fact.