Offering advice to others!

Options
Hi All!

Just figured i would start being more proactive on these message boards!

It is nice to be on a forum and website with others dedicated to fitness and striving for a better healthier lifestyle.

I am a NSCA certified Personal trainer, I have my own weight loss story and Am willing to help others!

If you would like advice or just want to shoot me a message if you have any question I would gladly answer them.

Thanks a Bunch :)

Replies

• tammyknaak
    tammyknaak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well since you offered....I am a little discouraged. I have been on this site, totally changed my eating habits and workout on an average of 5 or 6 days a week. I lost 4 pounds right away and now i have just been teetering between 167 to 169 back and forth. Some say i am not eating enough but i am not hungry...I do eat when i am hungry. I do tend to go over on my sodium and sometimes sugar. Several years ago i went on a diet where i cut all dairy and sodium and I lost 30 pounds super fast but it's not a lifestyle of eating. I am almost 40 years old, 5' 6" and weigh 169 pounds. Most of my weight is in my belly (gained 65 pounds during pregnancy 15 years ago :0)
    anyway - any advice you might have would be apprecited. I just don't understand how i can workout so hard and not be losing even a little bit....
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Tammy,

I would have to look at your diary to see if you are eating enough or not. But it could very well be the case even if you aren't hungry!!! If you are at a caloric deficit too far below your BMR your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto calories, making your metabolism less efficient, I recently cut cardio out of my workout program and upped my calories. i lost 4 lbs after being stuck for 2 months.

I'm not saying this your problem but it COULD be. like i said i would need to see your diary :)
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @ jailoggio - I just want to say that I think it is really considerate for you to offer your services to those that are on their journey regardless of where on that journey. It would be wonderful if more people with the needed certifications would also follow suit. Thank you, and I'm sure at some point I will be contacting you myself. But first I have to decide exactly what changes I want to make to my diet, and get them ironed out first. Seriously considering the ketogenic diet, as sweets and carbs are my particular weekness. Will be getting a book on it before I make up my mind for certain though. Any suggestions?
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    this is really good of you :) -bump- for later :D
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey! Great to see helpful people on here!

Ok here it goes..

I've been lifting weights (Body Pump 2x/wk, personal trainer 1/2 hr once/week) and doing cardio either running 1 mile after lifting (sometimes before on PT days) and doing elliptical intervals for 1/2 hour once or twice a week. I also did a Zumba class after body pump this weekend and loved it so I may be adding it to my normal routine.

My question is - if you are overweight (by more than the last few lbs), how long before the lifting weight goes away and you start seeing the weight go down? I'm a little discouraged to see the scale go up (or stay the same), I was doing ok with the weight loss before I added more physical activity.

I'm not as worried about nutrition, I actually have a degree in Dietetics, but they physical exercise is where I need help!

Thanks!! :)
  • tammyknaak
    tammyknaak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tammy,

I would have to look at your diary to see if you are eating enough or not. But it could very well be the case even if you aren't hungry!!! If you are at a caloric deficit too far below your BMR your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto calories, making your metabolism less efficient, I recently cut cardio out of my workout program and upped my calories. i lost 4 lbs after being stuck for 2 months.

I'm not saying this your problem but it COULD be. like i said i would need to see your diary :)

Thanks - I do think people are right, probably don't eat enough. I love cardio and hate weights but know I will need to start to incorporate soon. i guess I can try to eat a little more but try to make sure they are healthy. i refuse to eat to just eat...That's what got me in trouble to begin with, Lol I know I need to drink more water too. I will have to go to the library or something tho because there's so many "terms" that are used on this site that i just don't understand. I think I need to get a better understanding on calorie in vs calorie out...I also think its great that you offer some advice. It's NOT as simple as eating less and working out more.
  • pastancil
    pastancil Posts: 10
    Options
    I am doing P90X which I enjoy, but cannot do the pullups that are part of the program. I don't have a pullup bar and have tried using the bands over the door but don't feel any benefit from that, even using the heaviest most resistant bands. I do have a bowflex and am wondering if there is an activity on the bowflex that would mimic the pullups. I have looked at the bowflex instruction manual but cannot figure out what would be comparable.....Any suggestions?
  • Zeusmachine
    Options
    Sounds like what am looking for I started at 125 pounds now at 185ish pounds and looking to get to 200-250 but can't seem to add any more size please share tips and advice on diets and training and supps etc thanks
  • jalloggio
    Options
    Holy cow!

Glad I can help I promise I will try to answer each one of you individually. In the meantime I always offer free fitness tips and advice on my Facebook page.

Please like my page at www.facebook.com/alloggiopt
  • jalloggio
    Options
    Sounds like what am looking for I started at 125 pounds now at 185ish pounds and looking to get to 200-250 but can't seem to add any more size please share tips and advice on diets and training and supps etc thanks

I gotta say that's pretty impressive. Gaining size is all about macros. There are some formulas online find out your bmr and determine your macros. for example you may need 1.0gram of protein per body weifht .75 for fat and 2.5 for carbs. don't worry about calories they will be high but you want them to be to put On mass.
  • adzubak
    adzubak Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What a great service! I might come back after I've continued on my weight loss journey a little more.
  • jalloggio
    Options
    I am doing P90X which I enjoy, but cannot do the pullups that are part of the program. I don't have a pullup bar and have tried using the bands over the door but don't feel any benefit from that, even using the heaviest most resistant bands. I do have a bowflex and am wondering if there is an activity on the bowflex that would mimic the pullups. I have looked at the bowflex instruction manual but cannot figure out what would be comparable.....Any suggestions?

If I'm not mistaken you can do lat pull downs with a Bowflex if that is the case do those instead of pull-ups. I started off 4years ago doing p90x great for weightloss but not so much for building mass.
  • TessWhisper
    Options
    What a nice thing to do. Thanks!
  • jalloggio
    Options
    Hey! Great to see helpful people on here!

Ok here it goes..

I've been lifting weights (Body Pump 2x/wk, personal trainer 1/2 hr once/week) and doing cardio either running 1 mile after lifting (sometimes before on PT days) and doing elliptical intervals for 1/2 hour once or twice a week. I also did a Zumba class after body pump this weekend and loved it so I may be adding it to my normal routine.

My question is - if you are overweight (by more than the last few lbs), how long before the lifting weight goes away and you start seeing the weight go down? I'm a little discouraged to see the scale go up (or stay the same), I was doing ok with the weight loss before I added more physical activity.

I'm not as worried about nutrition, I actually have a degree in Dietetics, but they physical exercise is where I need help!

Thanks!! :)

When you say weight from lifting are you implying that lifting weights causes weight gain! If so this is a major misconception. Losing weight is what happens when your calories in is less than calories lost. Other things may cause weight gain such as constipation or bloating your overall weightloss is going to be determined by your caloric deficit. Weight gain is caused by either eating too much or not enough.
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a question :-) Are chia seeds better as is or soaked ??? and why?????
    Hi All!

It is nice to be on a forum and website with others dedicated to fitness and striving for a better healthier lifestyle.

I am a NSCA certified Personal trainer, I have my own weight loss story and Am willing to help others!

If you would like advice or just want to shoot me a message if you have any question I would gladly answer them.

• jalloggio
    Options
    Hi! I have a question :-) Are chia seeds better as is or soaked ??? and why?????
    Hi All!

Honestly I have no idea! I don't think I've even ever eaten one :(
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Oh for the love of god.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member