Opinions on Juicing & Smoothies?

Options
2»

Replies

• SpinCyn
    SpinCyn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I juice daily and I love it. Watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I also make smoothies quite often, usually green smoothies.

I seriously don't care about the sugar content from fruits and veggies. I think the more fruits and veggies, the better. But a lot of people disagree with me. Personally I want to eat as many plants as possible. :flowerforyou:

im used to fruit smoothies and im affraid to gravitate towards veggies ones! what tastes go good in the veggies ones?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you use a blender to make fruit and/or vegetables into a smoothie, you get ALL of the food in the drink -- including the fiber.

I had a juicer that I used for a while, but didn't like the fact that so much food was left in the pulp chamber that I either had to (1) look through my recipe book and figure a way to use or (2) throw in my compost bin.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    As others have said..don't use an actual juicer machine. It takes all the good stuff out! Use a blender and you're sure to get all the good stuff.

Also, include veggies! Don't just add fruit. That's too easy. Add kale, swiss chard, a scoop of protein powder, and/or something like Barleans green organic powder. Doesn't change the taste and it is way good for you!

I was TERRIFIED of juicing until my neighbor introduced me to it yesterday morning, and I'll tell you what...it's a healthy, no-preservative way to get a ton of nutrients at once.

Good luck!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I got a vitamix before starting my half marathon training this year. Has made a huge difference with my long runs because I have a hard time eating in the morning before running, but my stomach can handle a green smoothie. The extra energy really helps. As long as you use it responsibly and don't add sweetners, I'd say smoothies, not necessarily jucing can be a good and healthy thing yo add to your diet.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you use a blender to make fruit and/or vegetables into a smoothie, you get ALL of the food in the drink -- including the fiber.

I had a juicer that I used for a while, but didn't like the fact that so much food was left in the pulp chamber that I either had to (1) look through my recipe book and figure a way to use or (2) throw in my compost bin.

Agreed!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Depends on the ingredients mines one of those food extractors and i use

kale
    spinach
    carrots
    various berries
  • donnalspencer
    Options
    I like your thoughts. The main thing I have been disappointed with on fitnesspal is the amount of sugar allowed daily. Can't even eat two pieces of fruit per day on the restrictions. How can this be good for you?
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website..I've been wondering what types of fruit/veggies people use for different combos...this site looks awesome! Thank you!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I like your thoughts. The main thing I have been disappointed with on fitnesspal is the amount of sugar allowed daily. Can't even eat two pieces of fruit per day on the restrictions. How can this be good for you?

I ignore the sugar to be honest - I changed it to calcium to track on the website.

I'd defo ignore the sugar from fruit :bigsmile:
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I make smoothies to increase my vegetable intake. I really, really don't like vegetables. I could easily go a week without touching more than two servings. (Sprinkled liberally throughout the week, at that.) Since starting my smoothie making, I easily eat twice as many vegetables now as I would otherwise, even with my newfound commitment to healthy eating in mind. Replacing breakfast with a smoothie also (usually) keeps me away from the Pop-tarts. Always a good thing.

If you like them, eat them. Some folks say you don't have to worry about the sugar, others say you do. Personally I just try to keep it moderated through use of water or watered down juice instead of 100% juice, and cottage cheese instead of yoghurt for the 'smoothy-ness' factor.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You know what I like? Food. I like food.