Weight gain on menstrual cycle:

Options
I know this topic has been discussed in multiple threads, but none of them are particularly recent. I just got my period on Saturday, on Friday I was 201 and now I'm at 203! Is that normal? I am currently doing the 30 day shred [I'm on day 3] and I work in a kitchen 5 days a week for as long as 7 hours at a time. I am always on my feet at work, going back and forth making food and delivering orders, and I sweat like crazy so I HAVE to be burning calories, right? I drink tons of diet Lipton green tea and only eat a maximum of 900 calories a day [don't judge, it's worked well so far]. I also take a green coffee extract pill which helps to curb my appetite and works. I monitor my calories like crazy, I don't eat a lot of sugar and I haven't cheated ONCE since I started my diet six weeks ago. I've lost 21 lbs so far, so is it just water weight I'm gaining during my TOM? I'm trying to lose 30 more lbs by June since I'm working at a summer camp for the whole summer, and seeing this increase in my weight has got me paranoid. HELP!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you whatever the answer was in the old threads, it's still the same.
  • thighgapsplease
    Options
    Don't worry it happens to all women! When your period is over just weigh yourself again. will probably be down
  • hoffma25
    hoffma25 Posts: 36
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's normal! I can gain upwards of 10lbs during that time. It all goes away the day my period is over! Hang in there!
  • hoffma25
    hoffma25 Posts: 36
    Options
    Also, congrats on losing 21 lbs! that's awesome! :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I guarantee you whatever the answer was in the old threads, it's still the same.

Yep ^

Also keep in mind too that what happens this month may not happen the next month. I gained 7 lbs during my cycle one month, the next month, I lost throughout my period and still lost weight after it was gone.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It is normal, don't stress about it, good job on your weight loss so far. High sodium can can keep water weight on you also, so I'd watch that..
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I know you just said don't judge abou the 900 calories/day... and I'm really not judging because I think a lot of people try extreme diets out for a while, but the reality is that it will only work for so long before you body realizes that you don't eat enough to sustain your level of activity. Especially working on your feet, etc, you probably burn a good 1900 or more calories/day just doing what you do. You really shouldn't eat less than 1200, and that's for health reasons. When you eat far below your BMR, your body drops levels of important hormones that regulate your metabolism and hunger, etc. Please do your body a favour and up your calories. Fill those extra calories with green, clean choices that you can feel awesome about instead of guilty about. Think nutrients instead of calories!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I know this topic has been discussed in multiple threads, but none of them are particularly recent. I just got my period on Saturday, on Friday I was 201 and now I'm at 203! Is that normal? I am currently doing the 30 day shred [I'm on day 3] and I work in a kitchen 5 days a week for as long as 7 hours at a time. I am always on my feet at work, going back and forth making food and delivering orders, and I sweat like crazy so I HAVE to be burning calories, right? I drink tons of diet Lipton green tea and only eat a maximum of 900 calories a day [don't judge, it's worked well so far]. I also take a green coffee extract pill which helps to curb my appetite and works. I monitor my calories like crazy, I don't eat a lot of sugar and I haven't cheated ONCE since I started my diet six weeks ago. I've lost 21 lbs so far, so is it just water weight I'm gaining during my TOM? I'm trying to lose 30 more lbs by June since I'm working at a summer camp for the whole summer, and seeing this increase in my weight has got me paranoid. HELP!

If you sweat a lot, you may be quite magnesium deficient--about 85% of us are, to varying degrees, because of dietary practices. Try BATHING in an Epsom salts (Epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate) bath (never take Epsom salts by mouth). Or, alternatively, you can do a magnesium oil rub--you will find magnesium oil at your local health food store (it is not actually oil, it is concentrated sea water). It is a great rub for sore aching muscles after a workout. Just make sure that you dilute it according to the package instructions. It can cause skin irritation if used full strength. Usually, if I feel like I am retaining water, an Epsom salts bath will cause me to dump the excess fluid the next day. Make sure you are getting enough potassium too (avocados are a GREAT lower-carb way to get your potassium if you are on a lower carb diet).