Hypothyroid-ians?

Options
Hello! I'm a noobs to the forum but have been using MFP for a while. I am wondering if there are any other people here who are hypothyroid. I was born with it and so I've had to deal with it my whole life and have always felt like the chubby kid in my family, as my metabolism has been wonky since birth. I have been working out (focusing more on strength, but including some cardio) and counting calories lately but my weight has stayed the same since I started. If you are hypothyroid, what tips do you have for losing weight? I did see my endocrinologist Friday and he took some blood work and also mentioned that since I have Celiac's Disease as well, I could be having some issues absorbing the synthroid medication and it's not working the way it should. Anyways, if anyone has any tips or motivation, I would greatly appreciate it. My brother is graduating from college in California this May and I want to look good for that!

Replies

• Turtlesallthewaydown
    Turtlesallthewaydown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I take Levothyroxine. I haven't really been able to lose much weight. My doctor is utterly disinterested in this fact and doesn't offer any suggestions beyond 'just exercise'. I'm tired a lot and everything I eat seems to act like superglue and just sticks, sticks, sticks. I'm still exercising and tracking my food but I feel it would be easier if I didn't have this thyroid issue going on.
  • Katenheimer
    Katenheimer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I'm hoping to hear back from my doctor tomorrow about my lab results. If my thyroid levels are fine I'm meeting with a nutritionist. I'd be happy to share what she says to me if you'd like.
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I encourage you to join this group of other MFPers with thryroid problems, like myself! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I was diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid problem this summer and I'm currently hyperthyroid, although we're unsure exactly what's going on still. The autoimmune part is actually what's giving me the most grief at the moment. While I haven't had any hyperthyroid symptoms yet (yay!), that means I haven't had the awesome weight loss associated with it either (boo!). Oh well! Haha
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Count me in as hypothyroid! I was diagnosed with post-partum thyroiditis after the birth of my daughter in 2005. I have struggled with my weight since then. I blame it on the fact that I am now in my mid 30's and have had two GIANT babies, and of course, bad habits and laziness. My doc has been uninterested in my thyroid and has told me that as long as it is under 5.0 that it's not a problem. It wasn't until this past december that I brought in my food logs, exercise logs and showed them to him AFTER he told me that I needed to eat less and exercise more. At that time we decided to try and decrease my TSH to 1.0. However, if you do research on it, there are some new studies that suggest that TSH is an old way to measure how your thyroid is functioning. Look into free T3 and free T4. My dose of synthroid has been increased from 50mcg to 100mcg since december. I am starting to feel a little bit better, but still could have some improvement.

Another thing to keep in mind, the scale is evil. Use a measuring tape instead.

Good luck!!!
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I have hypoparathyoidism.....similar to what you have, but a little different. It affects my kidneys, and my heart. My body does not use calcium the way it is supposed to. Because I am missing the parathyroid hormone, I don't absorb calcium correctly. When my calcium and vitamin D levels are low, I get crazy....really crazy. I also get kidney stones, to the tune of 10mm every 2 years. Also, when my blood calcium gets low, I can have heart palpitations. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. Things that are healthy for normal people can really mess me up. Gluten free helps, low oaxlates helps with the stones (only oxalate info is not on food labels( I really have to stay on top of things, and do the best I can. Today I am in a good place, and I have to re-commit with every sunrise.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid since my 20s. I did not magically lose weight when I was diagnosed, although I did eventually lose weight.
  • JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have Grave's and Hashimotos but had RAI back in 2003. To be honest my levels were out of control for about 8 years before I finally got put on Cytamel(synthetic T3) in addition to the Synthroid...total life changer. I've been able to drop the weight a little easier now, and almost all of the nerve and joint problems that plagued me for years have disappeared.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and have been on meds for the last 11 years. It was found out during our infertility struggles. I have used that as an excuse in the past. But now I'm 75lbs down in 14 months. It is duable. Not sure of your activity but I do a lot of cardio and lift weights. In the beginning I guessed at what I was eating. I bought a food scale a few months ago and use it to be more accurate. Drink lots of water. When I first started I would have 2 boiled eggs with hot sauce for breakfast. Then I moved on to making my own smoothies with fruits and veggies. Now it's just a way of life. Friend me if you want to see my diary....
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I exercise for an hour or more everyday and try to stick to around 1200-1300 calories. I quit taking my thyroid meds about 8 months ago and I've managed to lose 22 lbs since New Years.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My mom and some of my sisters have it, and seeing as I have a lot of the symptoms, I'm certain I have it, too. Bloodwork came back negative. I'm considering a second opinion, considering it's a doctor who has a reputation for needing second opinions.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed two years ago with hypothyroidism. It has taken me over two years just to lose the weight I've lost. Now that I'm down to my last 12-13 pounds, I can literally eat clean for months and it takes me that long to lose a pound or two. Then one or two bad meals later, those few pounds are right back on. It's very frustrating. My doctor put me on Cytomel a few weeks ago and we are in the process of increasing the dosage little by little to see what amount is right for me. I'm really hoping it will help me with those last few pounds that I am struggling with. What has helped me is to eat as cleanly as possible and drink lots of water. Also, find some form of exercise you can do for approximately 45 minutes to an hour a day. I've done some form of cardio all this time but have recently added strength training to my regimen, hoping that will be what makes the difference.
  • Katenheimer
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their advice! One thing my doctor did bring up was the theory that my Celiac's Disease might not be helping me absorb my thyroid (i take 175mg of levothyroxin) as well as it should. Hopefully I get an answer in a day or two!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Your celiac disease probably throws a huge wrench in things. I suggest just being consistant and I'm sure you will see changes. How much are you wanting to lose?
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Katenheimer
    Options
    Your celiac disease probably throws a huge wrench in things. I suggest just being consistant and I'm sure you will see changes. How much are you wanting to lose?

50lbs. In a few weeks (if Spring ever gets here), I'm swapping my car out for a bike and starting to swim again, so hopefully that will help support the weight and strength activities I've been doing.
  • lithezebra
    Options

50lbs. In a few weeks (if Spring ever gets here), I'm swapping my car out for a bike and starting to swim again, so hopefully that will help support the weight and strength activities I've been doing.

It might not be so bad once you're getting the right dose of medication. Being gluten free actually helps me, because I don't substitute other carbs for all the wheat I'm not eating. Also, giving up wheat made me feel sooooooo much better than I'd felt since I was a kid.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    My mom and some of my sisters have it, and seeing as I have a lot of the symptoms, I'm certain I have it, too. Bloodwork came back negative. I'm considering a second opinion, considering it's a doctor who has a reputation for needing second opinions.

If you only had a TSH test, consider having the T3 and T4 tests too. Also, ask your doctor what the number was, because you can look the normal values up on the internet. I had a high TSH result sitting on my chart for years, unmentioned, while I was complaining about depression, because the nurse practitioner that I went to considered me to be "too thin" and therefore not hypothryoid. Turned out that I have Hashimoto's, just like my mom, and I feel great on medication.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism several years ago. I have really struggled with my weight. In conjunction with my meds (125mg of levythoxine). I find that I am only able to lose if I faithfully log my food and workout 5+ days a week. Since Jan. 21, I've lost 29 lbs. but it hasn't been easy!