Sugar Free Jello? Good/bad?

Options
sydneyaw
sydneyaw Posts: 93 Member
I need sugar every once in a while. I'll get a MAJOR sweet tooth then nothing will stop me. I made some sugar free raspberry jello and ate over half the thing today. It was only 40 calories though because the whole things is 80. If I eat only a serving size (1/2) or two 10-20 calories of this a day, and limit myself to only that for dessert will it stop be from losing weight?

Replies

37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Lol! I ate that today! :) I have no idea haha
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I eat at least twice a day, a great sweet tooth fix, and if I have a big sweet tooth attack going on I throw a dap of fat free cool whip on it. I figured better then a banana split !!!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It's awesome. And even better as Knox blox.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i mix the sugar free pudding with unsweetened flax milk, protein powder, and sometimes fat free cool whip to make more of a mouse...yummy and healthy
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    This is a staple in my house and it most certainly will not stop you from losing weight! Just log it and continue on!

One of my favorites is the SF Jello with a SF pudding and some Cool Whip :bigsmile: Yes, it's processed and I love it. Every. Single. Bite :laugh:
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, idk. Tastes good!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners aren't dangerous so why not? I use to eat it a few times a week while losing weight and it has quite a bit of protein in it which I love!
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i buy the cups and sugar free coolwhip. and i mix it all together! i love it i guess the red dyes are supposed to be bad, but hell if it helps you from eating calorie laden treats i say eat up! lol
  • dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that artificial sweeteners cause kidney stones. I could be wrong but I would eat the artificial stuff sparingly, especially the diet sodas
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It may be sugar free but take a look at the sodium content. Through the roof.
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners aren't dangerous so why not? I use to eat it a few times a week while losing weight and it has quite a bit of protein in it which I love!

WTF? You're kidding aren't you? Go read some scientific research on Aspartame. There are several sweeteners that would make you feel you'd rather have the sugar instead if you looked at all the research. Look for products sweetened with Stevia. It's from a plant and not harmful.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I eat it. I am not far along enough to be wary of stuff like that. I am beginning to make changes though.
  • favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Probably contains aspartame for an artificial sweetener. This converts in the body to formaldehyde, a major toxin, it is used to preserve dead bodies. You can still get an insulin response to sugar free things, and some research suggests sugar free things give you a craving for more sweets! Give yourself real sugar but watch your calories. Also, if it has sugar alcohols instead of sugar, it can make your bloated and gassy, and even have a laxative effect if consumed too much.

-Exercise Physiologist
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Going over your TDEE causes weight gain not, specific foods.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    focus less on how many calories a food has, and more on the craving. What is it you are craving exactly?
    texture? the specific flavor? once you can pinpoint which part of eating the food is most important you can
    find healthier options, or just eat the real thing in smaller amounts.

in anycase, i'm not satisfied with a doll sized portion. I want as much food as possible, while still being satisfying.
    so that usually means finding a lower fat version, but not completely fat free.
    like eating frozen yogurt instead of full fat ice cream, or the extra whipped ice cream instead of the full fat version.
    they taste just as good as the real thing to me, and I can have more of it.

with the jello, I guess it's just up to you.
    1 serving of reg. jello is only a but more than a hundred calories. maybe 200, but the point is,
    in a day of eating say 1500 cal, that doesn't seem like much, as long as it works for you.
    if on the other hand it's just a gateway to wanting more, then you would need to experiment with what does work.
    some people have to cut out any sweets, sometimes even fruit.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you used artificial sweeteners in the amounts they give lab rats, then yes, It would be bad for you.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Love the stuff. Eat it almost every day.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    From Pubmed.gov about artificial sweeteners .. not that I am into them much at all myself but you don't need to be scared of them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15367404
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Probably contains aspartame for an artificial sweetener. This converts in the body to formaldehyde, a major toxin, it is used to preserve dead bodies. You can still get an insulin response to sugar free things, and some research suggests sugar free things give you a craving for more sweets! Give yourself real sugar but watch your calories. Also, if it has sugar alcohols instead of sugar, it can make your bloated and gassy, and even have a laxative effect if consumed too much.

-Exercise Physiologist

Lol...So do tomatoes dude...In larger quantities...And citrus juices do as well.

ETA: The above response was with respect to aspartame. Agree with the sugar alcohol part, that stuff will mess you up.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the taste of jello buti can't eat the sugar free kind. It makes me incredibly bloated and uncomfortable. I was even checked for gallbladder issues before I realized it was aspartame that was causing my stomach pain. There is nothing wrong with sugar free jello unless you are sensitive to the sweetener like I am. I can still have Splenda in moderation though. Even stevia makes me dizzy so my options are limited.