Replies

• whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    yum
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I heard that after you cut the potato that if you put them in cold water with a little salt and let them soke for like 10-15 minutes the dry them off and bake them it will help to get them crunchy. i dont know how true that is...im making my first batch tomorrow actually..lol

I have also heard this
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this...I had frozen bagged sweet potato fries yesterday, I'm sure fresh ones are so much better and healthier. Next time I crave them, I'll make my own (fresh).
  • coppers2002
    coppers2002 Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • Kunderwood04
    Options
    bump
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Must try this..
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've made them once like this...

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/guaranteed-crispy-sweet-potato-fries-sriracha-mayo-dip/

and they were AMAZING!!!!!!!! So honestly I would give this a try and see what you think! Keep in mind that the recipe has you soak the chopped sweet potato in water for like 2 hours! but Its definitely yummy and worth it!

BUMP - Deffo going to try this!
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    My oven is not working so i have been cooking my in Olive oil and then toss in curry powder!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Bumpity
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump
  • broadway_Calls
    broadway_Calls Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just toss them in a bowl with olive oil, paprika, mixed herbs and some salt and pepper. I often roast them together with a few garlic cloves, a red onion and a pepper.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I tried a few times.

The easiest seemed to be tossing them in a bowl with 2-3 egg whites, once they're all coated, toss a bit of flour in there, and make sure they're all dusted evently.

I forget how long I cooked em, I'm assuming 350 for 25-30mins but they came out crispy, that I remember.

egg whites is the trick makes them deliciously crispy!!! i didnt use flour and they still turn out delicious
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    the key is:

1) wash and DRY the potatoes
    2) don't use too much olive oil - drizzle, not soak otherwise they won't crisp but will be soggy
    3) cut in equal thickness so they bake evenly. don't make them too thick though
    4) i use paprika, a tiny bit of sea salt, pepper and a touch of olive oil.
    5) line them up on a flat baking tray and bake at 400F for about 12mins. then flip each one over and bake for another 10-11mins until crispy
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :love: :love: :love:
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meriken
    meriken Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    microwave for three minutes leave to cool a little then peel and lightly coat with coconut oil and put in a hot oven for about 15 minute they are yummy and crisp
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who has trouble cutting my potato?? I had to have the hubby cut it and my slices were 1/4 in thick..still tasted amazing, but not very crisp. What's everyone's secret to cutting them thin...
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    To prevent the fries sticking to the pan, pre-heat the pan. If you pre-heat the oil too, it will make them crispier. Also works great for regular potato wedges. You just need enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, about a tablespoon works for me.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The Alexia brand frozen are delicious, but convenience foods are always more expensive and caloric. So, I started making my own.

I have a convection oven, so I like to make them on a metal cooling rack (the kind that looks like a grate) so the air can circulate all around them.

I spray the rack with cooking spray. Then, I put 1 tsp of olive oil and one egg white in a bowl. I sprinkle in chili powder, cumin, paprika, turmeric and sea salt. Mix it all together, then add your sliced sweet potato and mix to coat them. I generally cook them for around 20 minutes at 350 deg.