No wonder I am so overweight

Options
rgrin
rgrin Posts: 67 Member
Just out of curiosity, I "pre-logged" next week with a typical week I would have eaten in January (before I re-started MFP). I maintained the weight for years with no exercise. The averages for the week were shocking and horrifying!
2677 Calories (current goal 1650)
241 grams of carbs (current goal 144)
82 grams of fat (current goal 64)
58 grams of protein (current goal 124)
103 grams of sugar and not from fruits (current goal 60 WITH fruits)
854 mg of potassium (current goal 4700)
53% Vitamin A
36% Vitamin C
64% Calcium
49% Iron

Replies

• favreervaf
    favreervaf Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Right, I recently got my mom to use it, and she never read labels, and didn't realize how many calories she was eating. Example; 800 calories of pasta for dinner when her basal metabolic rate for her age and size only accounts for 1,250 cals a day. That's over half her cals in one sitting.
  • Bekah_Davis
    Bekah_Davis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are making some great changes lady!
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    I am SHOCKED when I make a plan to go out to dinner somewhere and have a look at the calories on a meal on the menu before hand and it's like MY ENTIRE DAYS ALLOWANCE IN ONE GO :(

I can't believe I wasn't FATTER given my old eating habits haha
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was shocked just to find out how many calories were in the pork chops I had been eating all the time. 1100 per chop. It is very fatty. Other than my love of meat and milk, I have found switching from a ridiculous number of calories a day to 1200-1500 a day to be fairly easy with MFP. I eat tiny mini meals every couple hours so I am never very hungry, and if I do get hungry, im only hungry for like 10 minutes.

I was eating leftovers for breakfast.
    700 calories of meat, and 600 calories of pasta.

I actually made dinner at lunch time in massive quantities.
    1000+calories of meat, 500 calories of pasta or potatoes.

For dinner I ate another helping of the above in the same quantities.

And during the day I drank half a gallon of skim milk.

No wonder I got up to 178.6lbs. Honestly I cant believe I was not up over 200lbs. I have lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks since starting my low calorie diet. I have noticed that a lot of the time when I think I am hungry, its actually thirst, so I am far more hydrated on my current diet than I was before.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What shocked me most when I first started logging my meals is the amount of calories in certain sauces and toppings. By simply substituting vinegar for another salad dressing like Thousand Island or Ranch, I save at least 200 calories (because you KNOW I was not using only 1 tbsp as per the serving suggestion).
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Last night we went out to eat and ordered what i normally would have (minus dessert) 6 months ago. However now i couldn't finish it. It wasn't necessarily how high in calories, just the volume of food...yikes.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing yesterday actually! i logged a typical day before i started to lose weight, and there were snacks that i know i missed because i would snack at home and in the afternoon, so i figured about 3500 calories!

edit to add: i normally take in somewhere from 1800-1900 calories daily to lose weight now. but i was eating 1200 over my maintenance. makes me sick!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    even just a simple frozen burrito can be surprising. a frozen bean and cheese burrito (not enough cheese to taste) 6g fat
    frozen chimachanga- 13g fat. same size as previous burrito.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    The other day, I had a binge. And I loggesd it all. I was 1700+ calories over what MFP assigns me. I get a generous 2000 + a day (due to breastfeeding). For the first time I didn't feel particularly bad about my binge but it opened my eyes about the reasons why I'm so overweight (i even wrote a blog about it). As it may be seen as a binge these days but before MFP thats how I ate everyday!

Good on you for looking into it, and taking resposibility of your own journey. :)