No support system at all

Options
My family member are all skinny and they dont support me at al.they say negative things and are discouraging.they say the cant stop buyin junk food just because i dont want to junk anymre,how are you supposed to eat healthy when the entire house is full of junk.pls help,need some support and motivation

Replies

• 20KGToLoose
    Options
    I have the same issue. I try not to think about the junk food. I buy my meals ready prepared from M&S. This way i don't want to waste food i buy.

Sometimes it is OK to eat what they have but as many have said to me have portion control.

i will add you as a friend. When you feel like you are about to go off email me.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your surrounded by people that don't need to lose weight.

Unfortunately you do.

You can't rely on them to make these choices for you.

Exercise will power.

:smile:
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    my husband is 9 stone and is always trying to gain weight he does nothing but eat my son also is with me he is 2 and i am not depriving him of anything because i couldnt control myself before .. its not his fault so when we are out shopping he gets a treat ect he has things i dont eat anymore like cheese on toast ect i just have to get on with it if i made my hubby eat what i did he would be 7 stone again before i knew it !

i do think its unfair that my husband logged over 4000 calories in an experiment we did in a day and struggles to even put a pound on where i eat less than 1200 most days and if i go over i gain very quickly . you cant ask anyone to do this for you once you know its what you want you wont want to eat all that food
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    don't take any notice, I've been through life being told I'm fat or could do with losing a few pounds, and now I'm making healthier choices and getting fit for ME because I'm ready to live a healthier lifestyle. I'm not doing it for anyone else, you can find plenty of support on here .. it's like my safety blanket and mfp friends always make me feel better when I am having a crappy day. Get a lot of supportive friends on here and use that as your support system.. We are all in this together!!!

you can do it, but you need to do it for YOURSELF not anyone else, get your head in the game and focus on being healthy, don't focus on negativity it won't get you anywhere!

good luck, feel free to send a friend request if you want some support :)
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know its hard to rise above it, but really try to.

Maybe clear one cupboard or shelf in the fridge for you and that way you won't need to look at the junk.

Jealousy is a hard thing to deal with and it sounds like they are jealous of your control, determination and will power.

Keep going - you'll do great
  • YankeesG2
    YankeesG2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. It's hard to have motivation when you have a bunch of junk food in the house!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Ignore them and all their junk. It's your body and your life that you need to think about so buy your own healthy food and be strong. Rise above anything nasty or unhelpful people say and prove to them that you can do it. There are lots of people sharing your battle and we can give you loads of support. You are not alone in this.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am my own support system.

I rely on me, myself and I.

I live in a house full of junk food junkies! I come home from work and am constantly faced with them scoffing take aways and deep fried food.

I do my own food shopping and have my own space in the fridge and cupboard for my food, that is off limits to them.

I let them get on with it, and focus on me.
  • EmmaLeeCharles2013
    Options
    I have the same situation, my boyfriend eats about 4/5 meals a day (as he trains and has a lot of muscle) and i used to find it really hard to not indulge myself in all the nice things he eats. My way of ensuring i keep to my diet is silly but seems to be working lost over a stone in 4 weeks:

- Have pictures of yourself in the kitchen and in your bedroom not looking at your best.
    - On your phone have motivating pictures of women in shape, or my favorite PUT THE FOOD DOWN is my screen saver.
    - First thing in the morning plan on here what you are going to eat print off and do not have anything else!
    - Try eating at different times so that you do not have to suffer in silence, even get out the house whilst they eat/cook
    - Everyday read up on success stories, trust me it always gives me the will power
    - Do not see it as you can't have it, always think you don't want it.
    - Always review how well you have done.

These little things are just that little silly things but they always get me to stay on track.

I hope you find your own silly little things :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You have got to learn how to control yourself. The key to losing weight is not controlling others, but controlling yourself. Once you understand that you are in control of what you put in your mouth, you will no longer feel helpless at the sight of junk food.
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's hard when people don't appreciate how hard this can be and what they can do to help. I've just eaten three biscuits that I didn't bring into the house and didn't leave lying on the kitchen worktop.

Friend request sent.

Kat :)
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You have got to learn how to control yourself. The key to losing weight is not controlling others, but controlling yourself. Once you understand that you are in control of what you put in your mouth, you will no longer feel helpless at the sight of junk food.

QFT! It's all about you - ask yourself if the stuff you are entertaining putting in your mouth is going to take you one step closer or further from your goals. Then feel good about whatever decision you made.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Get a good round of friends here. That will give you people to relate to on a daily basis. That is invaluable.

As far as the junk food at home - you're just going to have to deal with it. It's unfair to expect other people to change their eating habits just because YOU have. You're the one watching what you eat, not them. Develop a set of friends here, be active in exercise and logging, and work on being confident in your ability to control what goes into your mouth.

You'll find you're stronger than you think.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You need to get with it and get some willpower..eating crap will make you fat.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Could you move out?

You have to try to stop finding excuses for why you put the food into your mouth. Temptation will always be there; it's how you deal with it that changes.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    My parents buy junk all the time, it doesn't help I work at a pasta factory and my uncle works at a ice cream factory and I get both free all the time.

You'll just have to learn to control yourself, it'll be hard at first but after awhile you won't even crave any of it.

Plus a good motivator is proving your family wrong!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction will go away.... cut all sugary snacks for 3 weeks and your urges will probably completely disappear.... dont blame them... I know first hand that having it around makes it harder, but, not having it around can be bad too..

Think of an oversheltered child going to college and doing tons of drugs...

You need to exercise self control because there is no way youll always be able to avoid encountering situations that will require it...

Practice moderation in life.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Unless they are holding you down and stuffing it down your neck, then the simple truth is you are where you are cause you put yourself there. You are responsible for you and what goes in your mouth. Deal with it. put yourself where you need to be.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid junk but my family likes to eat junk....especially my husband......in bed.....while I'm there watching! It is hard but you have to constantly remind yourself that this is a lifelong journey. Do what you have to do but don't give in.

I also say not to deprive yourself. Once or twice a week, enjoy a snack but make it from scratch and make it healthier.

I actually have a Pinterest board titled...Healthier Junk For The Littles so that they can enjoy healthier versions of what they like.
  • initforlife_cc
    Options
    I am my own support system.

I rely on me, myself and I.

I live in a house full of junk food junkies! I come home from work and am constantly faced with them scoffing take aways and deep fried food.

I do my own food shopping and have my own space in the fridge and cupboard for my food, that is off limits to them.

I let them get on with it, and focus on me.

^^This!!...it takes some positive self-talk, and pushing yourself through temptations, but you can't rely on anyone else to do this for you or make it easier for you. Challenges will come whether you want them or not, and whether people support you or not. It's all about finding your inner strength and deciding what is most important to you and whether you will let those challenges break you or make you stronger. Good luck- I know all about a bad support system....but just rely on yourself and don't let anyone break you or your goals :)