Upping Calories and i'm scared!

Options
After using MFP since January and not losing any weight I have found the In place of a road map, and am going to try upping my calories.

I have ranged from 1200 -1400 calories, and briefly upped to 1600 but then got scared I would put on even more weight so went back down after a few days.

So I have worked out my TDEE is 2059, therefore -20% is around 1648.

Question; am I likely to put on weight a little before losing it? How long should I try it for to see if it is working - 2 weeks? 4 weeks?

Also with carbs- is it ok to go over if its going over with fruit/ veg (mainly veg) rather than bread/rice/pasta etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Question; am I likely to put on weight a little before losing it? How long should I try it for to see if it is working - 2 weeks? 4 weeks?

Everybody is different, you're experiment will give you the answer. 4 Weeks.
    Also with carbs- is it ok to go over if its going over with fruit/ veg (mainly veg) rather than bread/rice/pasta etc?

It's fine to go over. Rice pasta is fine in moderation just ensure you weigh it to get an accurate number of calories.
    Throw the bread away.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I've upped mine from 1410 (I wasn't really eating back exercise calories) to 1730 no exercise calories to eat back as averaged over the week.

I've just started on my second week at these levels and am due to weigh tomorrow. I'm not sure what the scale is going to say but I'm going to give it 4 weeks to see if I start losing again.
  • sharonloraine
    sharonloraine Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    gonna bump this a see other comments. I too am scared to up my calories.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I upped mine to maintain and lost 3 lbs, so I don't know
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you should go by measurements in the early stages, especially if you're a beginner with excersize
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories by a lot. I had been eating 1,000-1,100 calories but now I try to eat as close to my calories as possible. I usually net 1400 calories. I went from 180 pounds down to 176 so far. I like you was scared about upping them. people saying your going to gain the weight upping your calories. that simply isn't true at all. you can do this.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    your not going to put on a bunch of weight by upping your calories a couple hundred a day over a week or two. I would honestly weigh yourself and up the calories for a week but hide the scale the whole week. See what you weigh a week later and go from there.

If you are confused about where to go with calories I very much believe in finding your "neutral weight". As in your calories where your weight stays the same then go from there.

Remember if you are one of those people who weighs themselves constantly you may see a slight weight gain in water if you up your calories by 300 and eat 70 grams more of carbs a day than you usually do.
  • kgj66
    kgj66 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies so far everyone. Really helpful.
    Flex500 - that's a super idea about finding neutral weight - I never thought of that.