Defeat the Plateau?

Options
Hi guys,

In 40 days I lost 10lbs, I was really motivated and happy with progress, but I've lost nothing in the last 2 weeks. Not one bit.
Any suggestions to get through the plateau? I know to change exercises and diet, but specific exercises or foods to try?

Thanks!

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
    weight loss is not linear. keep doing what you are doing. if in four weeks you don't see any movement, it may be time to reassess whether you're eating enough/too much and whether you should start to incorporate different/more intense exercise.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My go-to in a plateau is always to take 2-3 cheat days. Up those calories! Go up to maintance levels on your calorie goals, for only a few days. If you've been restricting carbs, now is also the time to up the carbs, and get in some healthy fats like avocado and olives. Don't exercise.
    Then go back to your normal calorie goals and hit the gym again. Make sure you're eating back at least 1/3- 1/2 of your exercise calories also, or you can still slow your progress.
    Think of your body like a machine, if you don't put gas in the car, it doesn't run right? You put in fuel, you burn fuel and you get somewhere :)

Happy cheat days!!!
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
    weight loss is not linear. keep doing what you are doing. if in four weeks you don't see any movement, it may be time to reassess whether you're eating enough/too much and whether you should start to incorporate different/more intense exercise.

^
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    try raising your calories by 100-200 increments every couple of weeks until you start losing again but seena511 is correct 2 weeks isnt really a plateau 1month and beyond would be i know its frustrating but keep pushing forward and if you havent already measure by inches and not the scale you could still be losing but its not reflecting on the scale.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I find weight loss stalls to often be related to sodium. I don't know how your normal sodium intake is, but usually a VERY low sodium day helps me drop the water weight that may have been masking loss (like as low as you can get it... ~800-1000 mg would be best). Your body needs some sodium, but for most people your minimum is about 500 mg.

To get that low, you'll have to choose mostly fresh, non-processed foods.

Just a suggestion. It's always worked for me.