Drinking ICE water burns 200 Calories!

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
This is my favourite fact from today’s beach body e-mail;

Ice water. Almost every nutritionist will recommend drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day, but did you know that if you drink ice water versus room-temperature water, your body will burn an extra 9 calories per glass? Drinking room-temperature water can burn about 16 calories per glass—that's 25 calories per glass for ice water. So, eight glasses of cool water a day can be responsible for burning 200 calories! Plus, water is necessary for all of your bodily processes, including the ones that control your metabolism. If you're underhydrated, your body will underperform. Water also flushes out fat deposits and toxins, which can hamper your energy.

Here is the full article on things you can eat to help boost your metabolism

http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/176#60773809

* Keep in mind that you must be eating well, exercising regularly and getting enough sleep for your metabolism to function property. These super foods are not miracle foods ya know ;)

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip and the great article :glasses:
  • ShondaS
    ShondaS Posts: 6
    Options
    GREAT TIP!
  • stonebreaker0417
    Options
    great tip thanks so much for the info!!!!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this article.

The funny thing for me is that I would ONLY drink cold water, which meant I wasn't drinking a lot. So in the past six months I just finally got used to drinking room temperature and that's how I drink it. Now I have to find out how to balance the two :)
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Good thing I can't stand room temperature water. I ONLY drink ice cold. For some reason I think water is gross when it isn't cold.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Good thing I can't stand room temperature water. I ONLY drink ice cold. For some reason I think water is gross when it isn't cold.

I totally agree! I thought I was odd one though b/c everyone in my office prefers room temperature/cool water. They never use the blue handle side of the water cooler here but I'm wearing it out! Going to get my 3rd Sigg (0.6L) refill of the morning. My bottle still has icy cold condensation on it from the last fill up.

Happy drinking! ;)
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    That's pretty awesome! I drink tons of water thanks for the tip!
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    Well I only drink ice cold water, I can't stand room temperature/warm water, it tastes horrid! So that's good! :happy:
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Good to know. I only drink water with tons of ice. I hate room temp water! Yucky.
  • holiday33
    holiday33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great article!
  • jlclarke
    jlclarke Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for the information
  • rachellea
    rachellea Posts: 4
    Options
    Great Tip. Thanks!!!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting. When I was doing fertility treatments, I was told not to drink anything hot or cold as it can alter body temperature enough that the meds would react differently and embryos "dont like a cold uterus" :) Now, five years later, I am so used to room temp water that I can only drink it really cold after a workout...and even then, I prefer room temp!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I think it is worth mentioning that some of those calories are calories your body would burn naturally weather you are drinking anything or not (after all that's what metabolism is!) , so I wouldn't necessarily use it as an excuse to consume an extra 100 or 200 calories per day, but it is good info to know. Every little boost to the metabolism is welcome!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    warm water reminds me of piss lol.....
    my boss drinks room temperature water and wanted to stop buying bottled water for the fridge and i was like..........nooooo way buddy....i like my water cold...the colder the better.....
    i knew your body worked harder to process cold water and now i'm happy to read it helps with more calories burned as well....
    thanks for the tidbit...
  • julialamb
    julialamb Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks did not know that ice water it is from now.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    Ice water does have a small caloric effect, but most studies I've read indicate it was like an extra 10 calories a day. Mostly it prevents your metabolism from slowing. People that are dehydrated may burn 2-10% less calories a day normally, so drinking water could very well cause you to burn a few hundred extra calories for that reason alone. I am not saying DON'T drink water :) I just want to make sure people don't think cold water will burn 200 calories, so they eat 200 more calories to compensate.

Here are some other food/diet myths:

http://www.globalhealthandfitness.com/metabolism myths.htm
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ok, first things first. If they say you drink 8 glasses of ice water a day (8 oz per glass) and each glass is 9 calories more. How do they get to 200 calories? I'm a little baffled at the math they use. I mean 9 x 8 = 72, how do they get to 200?

second, I wonder how they measured that to find it out? Because we are all very very different, and something as small as 9 calories in the body is EXTREMELY difficult to measure in a human.

I'm not knocking the theory, it's pretty straight forward and probably true to a degree, but I wouldn't count on ice water for your calorie deficit, there's a million little things that could change it.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    ok, first things first. If they say you drink 8 glasses of ice water a day (8 oz per glass) and each glass is 9 calories more. How do they get to 200 calories? I'm a little baffled at the math they use. I mean 9 x 8 = 72, how do they get to 200?

second, I wonder how they measured that to find it out? Because we are all very very different, and something as small as 9 calories in the body is EXTREMELY difficult to measure in a human.

I'm not knocking the theory, it's pretty straight forward and probably true to a degree, but I wouldn't count on ice water for your calorie deficit, there's a million little things that could change it.
    Here's how they get to 200: They say each glass of ice water burns 9 calories more than the 16 calories burned by drinking room-temperature water, for a total of 25 calories for each 8 ounces (8 x 25 = 200). Of course, that's only 72 more than the 128 calories the warmer water would burn.
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    Wow...thats surprising. I was always told to drink water at room temperature. I don't mind it either way, but in these hot summer months...I drink my water ice cold all summer