exercise post shoulder surgery

Options
I am curious if anybody here has had shoulder surgery and what sort of activities they did during recovery (besides physical therapy). I'm 7 weeks post-op, and I'm not allowed to run even, as the shock at landing can damage the repair. I'm starting to go nuts from lack of activity! The only things I've specifically be told I can do is walk and use a stationary bike. I walk my dogs a few miles every day, but there are limits to that, and I don't have access to a bike. I had done some one-handed kettlebell activities, but I got my butt chewed for that. HELP!!!

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Anybody???
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I had Bankhardt and SLAP repair done in 2007. It was a VERY slow process!! Very painful too. I can tell you DO NOT push it because a second surgery is way worse (happened to a friend of mine.) One of the things I did (and this sounds silly and light) was move all of my cooking items the weighed less that 5 pounds to higher shelves. The doc said it was great and actually helped me come back faster than just the PT. I know it does nothing for a whole body workout but if you push it and reinjury that shoulder you will be out for even longer. Stay safe!
  • divemunkey
    Options
    So there's no activity that is safe for me to do. Fabulous. I'll be ornery enough to kick puppies soon.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery 2 years ago this coming up June 1. I had two labrum tears they fixed and they had to tighten up my ligaments (I dislocated it twice in one week, very forcefully) and anchored the ligaments to bone. The dr. overtightened it (intentionally) and my PT and I had to stretch it out. I am almost 2 years post op and still there are things I can't do with my shoulder. I can't do tricep dips (on a bench). The angle pushes my shoulder to where it hurts. As do push ups.

One of the things I did do post op (about 2 months out - surgery was June 1, I was doing this middle-ish August) was getting in the pool and doing a modified doggie paddle or breast stroke. There was no way I could do an over head stroke (I STILL don't have full range of motion), but that really did help strengthen it :)

Honestly, I am at the elliptical stage. But, I have hurt myself a couple times in the past 6 months (I am sorta accident prone).

I hope you feel better! I know how painful the healing process was! Ouch!!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Sorry Dive, wish there was better news. I don't know if you have access to a pool but you could try walking back and forth in the shallow end (waist deep basically.) Again it's not much but it's something more than now.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above comments. I had surgery in both shoulders to repair rotator cuff tears. VERY SLOW AND PAINFUL process, even with active PT.

I was not even allowed to walk in the treadmill or the elliptical. The first for the possibility of falling, the second to avoid the arm movements not recommended by the doctor or my PT. I could only walk around or do the stationary bike. Since it was the winter months, swimming was also out of the question.

My first surgery was in Nov 2004 and I recuperated almost 100%; the second shoulder surgery was in Feb 2009 and because I developed a frozen shoulder it took 18 months to get better range of motion, but I never totally recuperated. I can't play tennis anymore (talking about heart ache).

I had an X-ray done less than a month ago due to constant pain and the orthopedic doctor (not the same one that did the surgery), told me that the head of the humerus sits above the join, so I am using the wrong muscle to do the shoulder movements. My shoulder will never be 100%, so there are exercises than I can't and I should not do. I don't think that my surgery was done correctly so the shoulder was injured again. Too late of fixing.

Just do the movements recommend by your PT, they will start using very light weights very soon and also resistance bands. Do the exercises at the office and at home. Push yourself a little but be aware of the difference in pain level.

Take care of yourself, don't worry about "lifting heavy," either. Eat healthy to control your weight, exercise as recommended. Good healing and total recovery is very important. I feel for you because I been there twice and it is not fun.
    :flowerforyou:
  • divemunkey
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I think I'm mostly very afraid of losing my lean muscle mass through this process. Plus, i really enjoy intense exercise and kind of need the endorphin release for sanity. I don't really have any other outlet, so I'm having anxiety issues. My results from surgery were really fantastic, as I already have full range of motion at 6 weeks. I never really thought about swimming, but I don't really know if it will be financially reasonable for me to get a Y membership so i can toddle around, plus the temptation to swim hard will be very difficult (was on the swim team in HS) to overcome. I have been walking my dogs a lot, but even that causes a fair bit of stiffness, so I should probably talk to my PT about that. I really do not want to jeopardize this repair at all. Makes me think harder about when I want to do the other shoulder, too. Surgeon said wait until full recovery at least. I'm debating getting it over with ASAP to have a year and a half of suck all at once, or have a 6-9 months of suck now and 6-9 months of suck in 3-4 years.
  • Bantams29
    Bantams29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me (torn rotator cuff) it was about 6-7 months before I was able to go back into the gym to do any light lifting. Before that the only thing that I was able to do (and have the Dr. or PT sign off on) were the band and light dumbbell exercises that I did for PT. Really slow process. When I did head back into the gym I stayed mostly with the elliptical. The movements associated with running actually caused a lot of discomfort for another few months, so I avoided it when I could. All told, I'd say it took 18 months to get most of the strength and range back, but I'm glad I didn't rush it.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    So there's no activity that is safe for me to do. Fabulous. I'll be ornery enough to kick puppies soon.

Honestly, I do not get this attitude. At all. Your surgeon said NO. Why are you pestering strangers on the internet? Does your health mean nothing to you?

I had 4 surgeries last year, and I followed all the surgeons' advice to the letter. The last one had me benched for 3 months. Do you think that sucked? You make freaking do. I didn't want to "kick puppies," or take it out in anyone. I walked. And I walked some more. When I was finally given the OK to proceed back with caution, I proceeded back with caution. It has taken me well over a year to get back to where I was. Yeah, it sucked. But anything worth doing is worth doing right, and sometimes life is hard. Nothing in the world feels as sweet as working out a full throttle this year. Better yet, I didn't screw anything up.

I hope you heal well.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Nothing in the world feels as sweet as working out a full throttle this year.

I love this quote!!!!
  • gcadmes
    gcadmes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's been nearly 11 months (9/12/2012) since I had shoulder surgery for a Type II Labrum tear (detached from the bone). 15 years ago I had rotator cuff surgery on that same shoulder. Let me just say that the recovery for a rotator cuff repair is a walk in the park compared to a Type II Labrum tear. (at least for me) For example, I was back in the gym 6 months after my rotator cuff tear. Sure, I took it easy for about the first two months, but after about 8 months, I was able to bench press, incline, shoulder press just about any weight i wanted to. Prior to my rotator cuff surgery, I weighed 180lbs. 8 months later I weighed 240lbs. WTH?

However, here I am today 11 months later, and I'm barley able to do 10 to 15 push ups without a little pain, or something feeling awry with the whole movement. Just this morning I was able to do shoulder press, 4 sets of 12, 25lbs dumbbells. My doctor said it would take anywhere from 12 to 18 months before I can throw baseballs with heat on it', or press heavier weight over my head. So it seems my doctor fairly accurate for when I would be able to do specific kinds of activities. Honestly, I am very pleased that i can do push ups, shoulder press, basically any press. For no good reason, I haven't worked on my back (pulling), but plan to by the end of this month.

Having said all that, I can't stress this enough.... you really should take it easy while in PT, and until the anchors in your shoulder dissolve and the material they use to re-attach your tendon (usually some kind of dissolvable string) have had a chance to mend the tendon. If you try to do too much, you run the risk of losing a percentage of your range of motion, or, worst case, undoing the surgical repairs. After about 5 months of PT for my Labrum tear, I had 100% range of motion, which is fantastic.

I didn't gain any weight this time. I was proactive with my diet as well as, (like you said) walking as much as possible, and riding a recumbent bike.

Hang in there, this time will surely pass, and you'll be stronger afterwards.
  • gcadmes
    gcadmes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    a little late on my reply, lol =)