Emotional breakdown- will it end?

Options
2»

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It will end. But its ok to feel sad, to grieve too, its part of the process. Acknowledge those feelings. I was the same about a year ago, had no appetite, it came back eventually. I personally took the time to just figure out what I wanted and who I wanted to be. It takes time, but everyday that passes is a step in the right direction and eventually you'll look back and realise that somewhere in that time you overcame it.

I got a lot of suport from family and rebuilt my life. One of the best things that came out of my experience was realising how amazing they are and how lucky I am to have them. Seek out support, you'd be surprised how many people will help if you just ask.

Focus on doing things you used to enjoy, taking time to relax and de-stress, work out if you can (it really helps) and have fun!

I'm in the mental health field so maybe this is a bit out there for you but I found that learning mindfulness (the mindful way through depression is really good) really helped me cope with a lot of things. Deep breathing also helped when things just got way too much.

Good luck :)
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    address it head on or put it behind you... whatever ya do don't stare at facebook all day and look at your phone trying to predict incoming texts.. that kinda anxiety is gonna kill you.. maybe you have some family near by that are near your age... go to a concert... do whatever you gotta do to smile... hope ya feel better.. later

too late. go away.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    so who cheated on who?

^^never been loved.

I asked the question because you don't handle guilt and anger the same way. Someone has to be the realist.
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I went through this in a blind-sided divorce of my mate for 17 years. I thought the world was ending. Did the same thing. Slept all day, sobbed like child, didn't eat. Lost 30 pounds in one month. Who needed fitnesspal? A friend forced me to join a gym. Things changed. I met women that ran circles around my ex. Was it over in a month? No, took months and pills and therapists and gym workouts and friends. It WILL end and you WILL realize how much happier you are to be rid of your ex.
  • sjhalida
    sjhalida Posts: 15
    Options
    Everyone has offered great advise but I just wanted to second what someone said about seeing a counselor if possible. I was very much against doing so and thought it reflected badly on me but finally got to the point with a family situation where I felt like I had no other option. I only went about 4-5 times but just to have an unbiased 3rd party tell me what I was doing was right and that I was still a good person helped a ton!!! If at all possible, I would suggest it to anyone going through a very stressful time.
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    sorry for what you are going through. been there, done that. it was not easy. emotions are high, crying lots and at a loss of what to do, can't sleep, etc. etc. but I got over it and it is now a closed chapter of my life. believe me it will get better for you. You need to get on with your life now. make sure you eat healthy and do things. I hope that you can accomplish this soon, as life will get better. good luck my girl.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    so who cheated on who?

^^never been loved.

I asked the question because you don't handle guilt and anger the same way. Someone has to be the realist.

There are different and more acceptable ways of asking that question than the way you did. Plus, it is the OPs business and the fact that she didn't disclose the reason in her post would indicate that she doesn't want to. Have some decorum.

OP, I have no great advice, other than there are many, many people that have or will go through the same thing. They all get through it and so will you. Cheesy I know, but time really is the best healer.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Restating the obvious here, but sounds like depression. The gym sounds like it's been a great coping mechanism and I'd continue with that (if possible-go more often-just be careful not to injure yourself). It's disappointing when 'time' seems like the best solution, but hang in there. It will get better as long as you keep going. When you feel like you have to cry though, do so. Better to let it out than keep it in.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
    ~Confucius
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your problems, may I suggest you make an appointment with your
    family doctor? If he or she is someone you can talk to, just lay it all out there. They
    can determine if you might need short term medication help or maybe a few visits
    with a therapist to help with the emotional issues. I did both about 6 years ago
    and it was a very good decision. I learned that I was letting the situation control my
    life and was ruining it. The pain does ease, so focus on several visits a week to work out
    and don't overdo, just focus on a good workout plan and sick with it. The exercise
    was one of my best outlets for frustration, and you're doing something positive
    for yourself.
    Good luck and God bless!
    Linda
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It gets better. Little by little, every single day, it does get better. Give yourself time to grieve, to get over disappointment and loss but get up everyday and keep doing what you need to do. Talk, shout, scream and cry about it when you need to. Eat what you can, shower, sleep, wake up, see your friends/family, go to school, go to work. You have to keep moving and you have to take care of yourself.

Good luck!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'll say it again, but counseling helped me tremendously. I highly recommend going there first before jumping right to meds. Sometimes we have emotions down inside we don't even know about and it helps to talk with an unbiased professional. Counseling worked wonders for me and I was able to overcome the mild depression I was having last summer. Prior to counseling, I felt like everything was spinning out of my control and that I wasn't able to do anything but basically getting through the day, taking care of my babies, and doing thd same thing the next day. I now feel happy, confident in my abilities, and the best thing is, I feel that no matter what happens to me, I am a strong woman and I will persevere!
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    you did the right thing, if you were being mistreated, you did right by getting out.

this feeling you have will pass and you will be feeling better than ever soon enough! I say congrats!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I also work in the mental health field and I appreciate everyone's input on that. I am seeking counseling, which is kind of difficult with my schedule right now. For my own personal reasons, I am against medication. But I am open to all kind of therapy/ counseling to help heal. I went to a counselor a few years ago when I was struggling with anorexia and it really helped. Now I just need to find another counselor (previous counselor was provided free service in college) and start going again. I feel like it would help too.

Thanks again for your advice and kind words.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    It really sucks when you lose someone you love or even thought you loved. All I have for you is to say that time really is a healer. Instead of thinking about the bad right now try and think about the good and move on. Don't stay in that bed and mope over it and think it to death. Distance yourself from it for right now until the acute pain is gone and then maybe later on when you're in a better frame of mind you can figure out what went wrong and learn from it. We all go through it at one time or another but it helps us to grow into the people we are meant to be. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger and you are a strong woman! So hope you get to feeling more like yourself soon. Hugs your way!
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Go see a counselor and process what happened. If money is an issue, there are sliding scale counselors available as well (search "free counseling help" and it will come up). My clinic offers counseling for as low as $25, so I'm sure there's one in your area. It's confidential, and it will help tremendously if you're willing to put in the effort. You don't sound like you're to the point of needing a med intervention, but the lack of appetite, anhedonia, and sleep disruption are all signs of depression.