Your thoughts

Options
13»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I was talking to a female and we found out we have a lot of things in common, including music. Just so happens the band that we like is coming to town next week. Now, she has a husband and I am in no way trying to hit on her (no matter what you think....lol). However, because of the world we live in, I couldn't ask her to go. So I ask you, how would you feel if a member of the opposite sex asks you to hang out? If it was a member of the same sex, there would be no issue. Why are we so full of ourselves that we think just because someone asks us to hang out, they must want something more? Your opinions please?

are you friends or have you just met?

my husband has female friends he sees without me - they were friends before we met, which is fine. if he said he had met a 'new' friend i would be a bit dubious to be honest, but i wouldnt tell him who he can or cant be friends with, and at the end of the day i trust him!

i have recently started a new job and have been out for dirnks with male colleagues and my husband has never minded.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    SHe shouldn;t do it, unless her husband is invited.

There is no such thing as an innocent opposite sex friend (unless someone in the mix is gay, obviously.)

Maybe it won't lead to an affair, but this is how affairs start, with words like, Ohhh it's just lunch. It's just texting, it's just a drink, it's just , it's just . it's just...

I've been happily married for 20 years now, I've watched other marriages crumble into infidelity, and this was how it started every time. No one LEAPS into hell. You bab ystep, justifying each little inch forward until your marriage is in smithereens and you stand there blinking going BUT WE FELL IN LOVE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS HAPPENED!

If you are lucky enough to be married to your best friend, if you love him and he loves you ....then Protect your marriage. You protect it Not because it is weak---protect it because it is precious.

That's a quote from this article, which has some of the best marriage advice i have ever seen:

http://lydianetzer.blogspot.com/2012/04/15-ways-to-stay-married-for-15-years.html
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think that there are plenty other females in the world to chill with.. The married ones shouldn't be an option...

Wait, so... does this mean that women who are married aren't allowed to have male friends?
    tumblr_mjx354kY5D1qgb5p1o4_250.gif

"Wow, you're a really cool person and we have a lot in common -- oh wait, you have a husband? LOL NVM WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS. YOU'RE TIED DOWN SO YOU'RE NO LONGER AN OPTION TO BE MY FRIEND."

Am I the only one who finds that just slightly ridiculous? Men and women can have platonic relationships. Even if they are both heterosexual, it doesn't mean that they're going to end up in bed together.

NOT AT ALL.... I am not married and I chill with pleanty of married men... What I am trying to say is... Trying to go out on a DATE with a married person you have just met as the very first option is a NO NO... Come on now, conversate get to know the person first.... Just straight taking a person out to a freaking concert (where ever) spending money on the person... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: That's a date and that's not cool.. I am a female with lots of male family members and friends... I know how they think...
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    There is no such thing as an innocent opposite sex friend (unless someone in the mix is gay, obviously.)

I do not agree with this at all. I have had plenty of innocent friendships with heterosexual men. I never developed feelings for them and they never developed feelings for me. If we get along and have things in common, why should our genders and sexual preferences interfere with a perfectly normal friendship? Not every woman eventually develops feelings for every man and not every man develops feelings for every woman. That thought process is just silly.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

I do not agree with this at all. I have had plenty of innocent friendships with heterosexual men. I never developed feelings for them and they never developed feelings for me. If we get along and have things in common, why should our genders and sexual preferences interfere with a perfectly normal friendship? Not every woman eventually develops feelings for every man and not every man develops feelings for every woman. That thought process is just silly.

Ditto.
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Op, If you were married would you want your wife going out with guys you didnt know?

Hell No. But I wouldn't stop her. My post was not about not understanding, it's about why is it like that?

It's like that because we are guys and we always want some sex!

Hey man, don't tell our secret.

^^^^^^ MY POINT EXACTLY.... CONFESSION... RIGHT THERE....
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Op, If you were married would you want your wife going out with guys you didnt know?

Hell No. But I wouldn't stop her. My post was not about not understanding, it's about why is it like that?

Oh it was a joke....lol
  • dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options

im outta here!!! lol
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Ditto.

You cherry picked the absolute to argue with a straw man. OF COURSE that argument is silly. It is also not my argument.

OF COURSE not every man and every woman who go to lunch will develop love or even just sexytimes feelings.

But, every time you go out with a man not your husband and connect and talk, just the two of you, you roll the dice. Because love or attraction COULD happen. And once you take the baby step of just lunch, the next one is easier. I have seen it happen in SO. MANY. MARRIAGES. Not every lunch leads to infidelity, but if you value your marriage MOST, why roll the dice on it?

I have opposite sex friends, of course. But I see them as a couple or in a group.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    From the sound of your post you're not friends with this female if you just found out things you had in common. Unless you're friends with her AND her husband I wouldn't tread on that territory. If my husband came home and said he just met some woman at the grocery store and she wants to take him out to a concert because they found out they have things in common I'd be quite put off.

If it was a mutual female friend who did the same thing I would have zero problem with it.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    First off to the op, if you get on well with her, you may get on well with the husband as well as often will have similar personailty, so maybe extend the offer to her and her husband as well, then if he decides he isnt interested etc, at least he knows you were not excluding him.

As for the people saying men and women can't just be friends, don't be so small minded. Of course they can, 3 of my closest friends are women and I am a straight guy. Sometimes in some friendships feelings might develop for some people but that doesn't mean they always will or thats what the plan was in the beginning. and believe it or not guys don't have just one thing on their mind the whole time they're around women, intelligent plutonic conversation is often all that is wanted. Besides some of the best relationships are built on friendships.

My personal opinion is that people who say that it is impossible to have these friendships don't trust themselves to be able to have these type of friendships with nothing more, so just assume that noone else can do so either.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    So I ask all of you, what if she was not married and did not have a bf?

Different set of rules entirely
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Yes and no. If asking her with entirely platonic intentions then asking her both times isn't likely to be that different. Only difference is out of respect for her OH and relationship could just ask him or at least acknowledge him when asking.

If it's platonic married/single/in a relationship make no difference. At some point it comes down more to the trust in the relationship than the external friend.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Let me know....lol
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    From the sound of your post you're not friends with this female if you just found out things you had in common. Unless you're friends with her AND her husband I wouldn't tread on that territory. If my husband came home and said he just met some woman at the grocery store and she wants to take him out to a concert because they found out they have things in common I'd be quite put off.

If it was a mutual female friend who did the same thing I would have zero problem with it.

This.

Friendships to me are automatic and just happen. If you're putting a concentrated effort in to developing a relationship with someone new (thinking about how to contact them, how to handle other relationships they have) you're already crossing over the friendship line to at least the point where you're banking a future prospect "just in case."
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you're okay with it, she's okay with it, and her husband is okay with it, then it's okay. << rare situation
    If any of the three are uncomfortable, it is not okay.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I invited a male friend of mine to come do a 5K mud run & obstacle course. Its in May and I am super excited that a friend is coming with me ot share in the fun. I really couldn't care less if he was male or female. I also don't care that my husband goes to the movies with his friend thats a girl. They're friends, thats all.
  • dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options
    baby you, you got what I need........... damn, how does the rest of it go?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Let me know....lol

Oh, I think you already know...