What qualifies as heavy lifting?

Options
Originally I set my GW at 140 lbs when I joined MFP in January, but got on Fat2Fit Radio recently, and based on those calculations and my current flab level, have decided to bump GW down to 135 lbs, 23% body fat. My prob right now is that I need to tone up - reduce the flab add muscle. I CANNOT lift heavy per cardiologist.

My stats:
SW: 158 lbs
CW: 144.4 lbs
BF%: 27.9% (using Military BF Calculator on Fat2Fit Radio)
GW: 135 lbs (23% BF)
BMR: 1,391 cal/day

First of all - WHAT QUALIFIES AS HEAVY LIFTING?

Second, anyone have any ideas for toning up on light-medium strength training? I've done strength training in the past but not even sure whether it was light, med, heavy. I'm doing Pilates reformer and it's making a small difference (I mostly do it for flexibility and to feel good). Don't want to pay for a trainer right now if I can help it.

P.S. Had a serious sternum injury 9 months ago and can no longer do push ups, dips, and a couple of chest exercises on the TRX, at least for the time being. Plank doesn't hurt. Also, have a bum knee (old multiple surgeries for ACL and cartilage) but can build up to do lunges, but one-legged squats to ground on TRX for example, no way. After the chest injury, I've done little to no strength training of any kind, and that would partly explain the flab...gained weight, ate like *kitten*, and lost a ton of muscle - double whammy.

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy tends to be argued over. Some say it is a progressive loading routine, some say it is just lifting heavy relative to your own strength capabilities.

I am uncertain how you would build muscle without it. If you are strictly prohibited it by your physician, it may be best to ask him or her what they suggest.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I personally think it is determined both by a progressive loading routine and lifting heavy relative to your own strength.

I aim for doing compound exercises with weight enough to only get through 8 reps and my heart rate goes up during that time to approx. 80% of my max.

I do progressive loading but I also do a lighter circuit based day, and I change my routine every 6-10 weeks.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to the lifter. For me, anything under 8 reps is heavy.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You do not need to know what everyone on MFP thinks is "heavy lifting". Rather, you need to know what your cardiologist meant when he/she put you on a restriction. Ask him/her specifically what exercises are prohibited and what are OK.

You can tone up your body with light weights and bodyweight exercises, including push-ups, crunches, planks, TRX, squats, lunges, etc. You can also use elastic bands for rows, tri extensions and lots of other exercises. BUT, you need to gain a better understanding of what type of exercises can cause you injury.

Given your history of knee injuries, you should start slow and work on strengthening the muscles around your knees. Just because you have injured yourself in the past does not mean that you are forever precluded from any activity. Running may be out, but there are other things you likely can do.

The other thing is that your stats don't tell the whole story--what is your BMI? Many (myself included) scoffed at BMI as a measure of fitness. I think that it is a pretty good indicator for the majority of the population. It may not apply to the beefy bodybuilders out there, but for the rest of us mere mortals, it is good. I am at 24-25 (the upper end of healthy) and I look and feel good. I used to think there was no way . . . .

Without knowing your height and/or BMI, we have no way of knowing whether your are still over your ideal weight.

Check with your doctor first--that is the key.

Good luck!
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would say heavy lifting is relative to bodyweight. I like to consider myself a heavy lifter because:

I weigh about 210lbs, and I can bench my bodyweight at least 8 times.
    I can squat 400lbs at least 5 times.
    I can DL 365 at least 5 times
    I can power clean my weight once.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Without knowing your height and/or BMI, we have no way of knowing whether your are still over your ideal weight.

Check with your doctor first--that is the key.

Oops forgot those stats!

Height: 5' 10"
    BMI: 20.7

I sure don't feel like a 20.7 BMI.

Thanks for the advice! I hate docs...but you're right I need to call and get elaboration.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but from everything I've read I get the impression that 'heavy lifting' tends to be used more often to describe progressive, strength training regimens (varying weights at lower reps/sets, compound lifts, supported by assistance training). This would be in opposition to what is considered bodybuilding where you have more isolation exercises, done with varying weights at higher reps/sets.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    you DO NOT need to lift heavy weight to be toned...you may have to do higher rep exercises with lower weights and try to do more body resistance workouts and also I would try TRX if classes are available to you
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's posts! I just realized there are like 50 pages on "heavy lifting" in MFP "archives." I hate searching though because every time I want to go back it makes me reenter the search. Such a pain. Anyways thanks again!