Best weight loss advice you've gotten that's worked!

Options
The main one for me is taking a spike day if i hit a plateau. That day usually turns into a binge and I'm bloated the next 2 but if i stay strict after that, my lbs drop like crazy for some reason and my plateau is broken! What's the best advice you've gotten that actually works for you?

Replies

• jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eat within your calories, make healthy nutritious choices, and work out. Yup, nothin' new here!
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it takes you around 20 minutes or so to feel full, so take your time when eating and chew everything thoroughly. I do that now with unhealthy food (unless it's cake) and I find I'm eating less, which leaves more calories for healthy snacks :smile:
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Best advice I've ever gotten and the best thing I've taken away from MFP Because it WORKS!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The main one for me is taking a spike day if i hit a plateau. That day usually turns into a binge and I'm bloated the next 2 but if i stay strict after that, my lbs drop like crazy for some reason and my plateau is broken! What's the best advice you've gotten that actually works for you?

THIS!!! but it takes lots of restrain to have only ONE day of binging so it is tricky :/ Especially for a binge-eater like me!! But, yes for some reason it works like magic!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    There is no magic in weight loss, eat less and move more. I always thought is was complicated. It's not.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you fail to plan you plan to fail.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Do it now. there is no tomorrow.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it takes you around 20 minutes or so to feel full, so take your time when eating and chew everything thoroughly. I do that now with unhealthy food (unless it's cake) and I find I'm eating less, which leaves more calories for healthy snacks :smile:

I really MUST start doing this I wolf my food down its a very hard habit to break!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    dont diet.. do something you can do forever..... (after many successful diets followed by bounce backs)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

I really MUST start doing this I wolf my food down its a very hard habit to break!

thats 20 minute thing is true... its kinda like if you take 10 shots of booze you wont be drunk for 10-20 minutes.. takes time for your body to absorb stuff and send signals... I always try and eat the most calorie dense things last... Why do you think desert comes after a meal? its simple logic.. grandma was right about 90% of stuff, she just didnt have a doctorate in nutritional sciences
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Take in fewer calories than you burn off...period. Stop thinking.
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    lift heavy!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Log / Look Up what you are about to eat or are thinking about eating before you eat it. Learn from this what is in it and then decide if you really want to eat it.

I have started 4 friends on MFP and after helping them determine a realistic target number I told them to just pre-log for a week. Don't change your eating habits during this week. The longest any of them went is 4 days before they were changing their mind about eating certain things.
  • justlittlem
    Options
    Shuan T: "DIG DEEPER!"
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.

All good ones especially this!
  • jeepinwelch
    jeepinwelch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Log / Look Up what you are about to eat or are thinking about eating before you eat it. Learn from this what is in it and then decide if you really want to eat it.

This! I have scared myself out of eating a few things this way. It's a huge eye opener. Wished I would have looked before I had the Starbucks low fat banana bread.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss is best. I'd always heard it before but now I actually am patient enough to go by it. Less calorie restriction equals sustainability.
  • princess_goal
    princess_goal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    really...im kinda scared doing that!
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Get educated. Read a lot and take everything with a bit of skepticism, expermient and find what works for you.