Advice for newbies- things I wish I had known starting out

Options
Good Morning!

To those of you who have tasted success, what is your greatest advice to those just starting out? What did you wish you would have known when you began?

Here is mine:
1. For ladies, if you don't mind wearing dresses, wear dresses. I'm not kidding. Pants that fit starting out will look ridiculous after 10-20 lbs. After 30-40 you're swimming in them, after 50 lbs, there is no belt that would keep you from looking silly. I reccomend wearing casual dresses. I have a closet full of sweater dresses and shirt dresses, and even a wrap dress or two for work. I have lost 100 lbs since I bought my favorite dress, and I still wear it like crazy. It doesn't look super big, it actually just got a little longer. If you want to have longetivity out of your clothes and be able to wear them until your goal weight, I'm telling you, dresses are where it's at. (Also leggings!!!!!!!!!!! I have some that were unbelievably tight starting out, now they still look good. Haven't had to buy new ones, seriously awesome.) If your dress starts to look shapeless, and you're getting a new little waist you want to show off, add a belt to that sucker!!!
2. Take calcium. I can't have dairy anyway, but I know most of my friends find it easiest to cut out excess calories and fat with all the dairy/cheese in their life. Seriously, people eat a lot of dairy. If you find you are eating less due to your calorie goals, take calcium, it's good for you.
3. Drink water!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE TIME!
4. Dandelion helps you lose puff. If you have it in tea, in your salad, or just in capsules, it helps lose water weight if you had a high sodium day or have that monthly bloating.
5. eat whatever you want if you're within calories. Seriously if you will die if you don't have a big mac right now, eat it. It's better to satisfy your cravings then to skirt them, you'll eat more if you avoid them. Just satisfy them, but stay under your calories. For example, you waste 600 cals on a burger, you'll be eating carrots and celery the rest of the day (or working out to earn those calories back) but at least that craving will be gone.
6. eat a good breakfast. They all say this, but if you eat nothing or toast for breakfast, you will be a hungry angry monster by lunch time, and you'll eat double the calories on lunch. Eat some protein and fiber for breakfast.
7. HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF! Be patient and remember the last year passed, and the next year will too. Time will always go by, and in one year you might find yourself bigger, or if you stick to this, smaller, and you don't want to be thinking, "If only I had started a year ago, I'd be there by now!" Don't be afriad to plan for being smaller either, plan the vacation now that you want to take at your goal weight so you have something to work for. Buy the bikini now and hang it up where you can see it!

Anyone else have advice? Anything you wish you knew starting out?

Replies

• frog_friend
    frog_friend Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! this post has been very helpful!
  • clairelindy
    clairelindy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks I will keep looking back at this post
  • lharper01
    lharper01 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! Lots of great advice.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! Dresses & leggings are a great ideas!!

Mine would be to eat a filling breakfast - gives you the boost you need to go strong all day.
    Exercise even when you don't feel like it. It does wonders for my mood and I bet it will yours too.
    Have a support group in real life and on mfp.
    Believe in yourself.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    7. HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF! Be patient and remember the last year passed, and the next year will too. Time will always go by, and in one year you might find yourself bigger, or if you stick to this, smaller, and you don't want to be thinking, "If only I had started a year ago, I'd be there by now!"

[/quote]

I have done this many times before, not this time I'm doing it this time!!!!!!!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    That is great advice!!

I have a few.

If you are obese don't start at the lowest calories possible. Start at a resonable amount. I started very overweight and I was eating 2200-2500 calories for the first weeks and was losing like crazy.

Exercise,- Strength and cardio. Anything you like doing.

Shop at thrift stores like goodwill. If you drop pounds fast it is nice to get a few new things often and save $.

Don't starve yourself. You don't have to be starving to lose weight. Eat in your calorie allowance.

Don't drink your calories. Skip, jucie, soda etc and eat those calories instead. Tea is a god alternative. Especially Green tea.

Take measurements! You will love seeing those change when the scale is not.

Take Pictures from day 1. Pictures helped me see the loss that I did not notice. When looking at myself everyday I did not see the changes. Then I took photos in the mirror and could see a huge difference (every couple weeks works)

I agree with having a treat. I think sometimes we are too strict on oursleves. if you have the calories and want something not so healthy, go for it!

See a doctor for bloodwork! My Choelsterol, blood sugar and other things improved greatly!!! It was awesome to see my new healthy life was making me more healthy in those ways too!

I probably have more but these helped me so much.

OP I never heard of dandelion helping bloat. I will try that!!! THANKS!
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    I don't know about the breakfast thing. I grew up always eating breakfast, but I'd still always be dying by lunch (of course, I was mostly eating cereal). For the last few weeks I haven't been eating breakfast because it's the easiest way for me to cut some calories, and I haven't really missed it. Sometimes I get hungry, but not any hungrier than I did when I was eating breakfast. I have learned the hard way not to exercise on a completely empty stomach, though....
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    exercise daily. at least 60 mins, more is better. I just started doing ab work outs. I walk on treadmill 60 mins and eliptical for 40 mins and every other day I will do my abs. Just keep moving!!!
  • Trallarna
    Trallarna Posts: 45
    Options
    Thank you all for this very useful advice.
  • kniknaack
    kniknaack Posts: 32
    Options
    Great post! My hardest thing is to get enough water in me through out the day, UGH! But, reading your post gives me motivation.
    Thanks!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You will be amazed what a difference you can make in only 3 months if you're determined and stick to it.

Take pictures on Day 1. I wish I had.
  • nats9395
    nats9395 Posts: 1
    Options
    great advice :)
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Super advice, thank you, and congrats n your success!!!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    There might be some bad days, but don't let that be a reason to permanently give up. There is nothing wrong with enjoying food during holidays or with friends on occasion. Even with some delicious treats, keep going and the weight will eventually come off. I've been only doing this for 3 months so far, but this is what I've learned.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Patience.

People don't see drastic results after a couple of weeks and give up.

This takes MONTHS, sometimes even YEARS.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    great post! Thank you

Portion control! I weigh and measure (not as much as I used to) but you would be surprised how many servings you are actually eating. For example my bown of cereal was a BOWL, 2-3 servings! It all adds up.

Hint for water that works for me: I have a 16 oz container that I drink before I leave work. Once I get to work I have to drink it again before lunch then another before I go home. Finally another by the time I go to bed. I have since upped that container to 24 oz.

Take you measurements monthly, esp when it seems the scale is not moving, you will be losing inches.
  • Perrylr21
    Perrylr21 Posts: 51
    Options
    It takes time to lose it the right way. Don't get discouraged when you hit a flat spot, keep working and work through it.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day! And, it took you a while to gain the weight......it's gonna take a while to lose it!
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great post! My hardest thing is to get enough water in me through out the day, UGH! But, reading your post gives me motivation.
    Thanks!

The best thing I found was getting a 28 oz water bottle from Target or Walmart that has a straw in it. I was shocked at how much more water I consumed with a straw vs. without one.

Other tips I've found:
    -Find an exercise that you LOVE. Whether it be Zumba, kickboxing, spin class, whatever... if you love it, you'll look forward to doing it and it won't be such work!
    -Don't miss out on the celebrations in your life just because of calorie goal. Celebrate the birthdays, anniversaries, new jobs, etc. That's what life is all about anyways :)
    -Log EVERYTHING, even if you go over your calories. This is about being honest with yourself and lying isn't going to make you skinnier.
    -Don't weigh yourself every day. It becomes obsessive and unhealthy and will put you in a bad mood if you see the scale go up or stay the same for a few days in a row (I've been there, trust me). Weigh once a week or once a month if possible and take pics and measurements.

Enjoy!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I wish I had known how easy it actually was to lose weight, I had convinced myself it was the most difficult thing in the world and I didn't eat much anyway, but when I finally weighed myself and took fright, I realised I was eating more than my calorie allowance in junk - bread, biscuits (cookies), potato crisps, chocolate, ice cream, you name it. MFP has really helped to put things in perspective, I am managing to keep within the limits provided, I can check before deciding to eat something what the likely calorie cost is and the weight keeps coming off, slowly but surely. I also had help from a hypnotherapist who I'm sure made it possible for me to avoid the junk I was eating before and not really miss it., my determination to succeed provided the rest. I could have done this ten years ago....................
  • jlcolas731
    jlcolas731 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does decaffinated hot tea count as water?