How much money do you spend on food weekly?

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Around $200.00/week
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    On food alone I probably spend $150/week. I cook all of my meals myself and most of those are organic veggies/meats. It's ridiculously expensive and I am not happy about it.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    $150-$200 a week, family of 4. Includes cat stuff and toiletries.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Compared to everyone else, apparently too dang on much. I budget it for $300/month and I consistently go way over.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 123 Member
    I thought we were being cheap until I read everyone else. For my husband and I, we budget around $150 a week. We eat almost every meal at home or take leftovers for lunches. I have weeks where we do $100 for a week but those are usually weeks that I don't need as much meat. If I need to get peanut butter, nuts, and meats then I probably spend more.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    I'm almost disgusted with how much I spend based on the above answers. :-/

I spend on average £120-£200 every 7-10 days for 2 Adults which is $181-$303.

I buy all my meat in bulk from a special supplier who caters for Athletes. I only eat Grass Fed Beef & Lamb and we only eat Free Range Chicken and Outdoor Raised Pork. We also only eat Organic/Free Range Eggs. This is probably £120-£180 a month dependant on what we buy.

We don't eat out on a regular basis, maybe once a month someplace high end rather than take out/fast food etc so this budget is for 3 meals a day for 2 adults, including snacks.

I don't buy pre-prepared meals, this is just for raw ingredients and we buy a shed load of organic vegetables & exotic fruits (Not really Apple eaters in our house).

I wouldn't be, I hope I don't get hate for this, but I think food prices are a good bit lower in the US. I live in Canada "near" the border and us Canadians often make special trips to the US to buy gas, canned goods, even milk, etc. I know the price difference has evened out since the Canadian and US dollar became close to par, but it is still so much cheaper in the US.

I spend about 80-100$ a week on just myself. I don't eat very much red meat, if I do it's treat on the weekend and it's grass fed organic. I eat organic as much as possible and avoid processed foods which definitely makes the total higher.
  • HealthyNurseK
    HealthyNurseK Posts: 38 Member
    We spend about $90 a week for two people. This includes all breakfast, lunch, and dinner foods. I try to plan ahead so a few meals will include leftovers. I buy plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and a few snacks. We typically eat fish one night, poultry 2-3 nights and at least one night with no meat.

We eat out about once a week.

This budget doesn't include coffee (we buy for the month in advance), toiletries, or paper products.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Assuming I don't have to buy oils or spices, I spend $50 (a lot of times under) a week for just myself :)
  • $130 - 150/week for 2 adults and a toddler. This may seem a little high but we rarely eat out and my husband and I take lunches to work every day.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Right now it's about $150 a week for 2 of us. I'm building up my spice cabinet, so that contributes to about $20 a week of the total. We eat a lot of locally grown produce and locally raised meat. If it's a week that I need to get almond butter, nuts, or cheese, that number is going to be higher.
  • researchgirl82
    researchgirl82 Posts: 23 Member
    I should probably be more thrifty but we typically spend anywhere from $150 to $200 a week. We cook a lot and typically buy organic and splurge on more exotic items like spices, chocolates, imported beer, etc.. I am hoping to get to a place where I can plan all our meals but our lives are to crazy for that at the moment. My husband and I (plus toddler) will eat out 1 to 2 times a week.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    £100 ($151) per week for 2 adults, 2 teens and a 10 year old.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    100 for 2 of us, he doesn't eat lunch at home. But we don't really look at the prices when we buy, and that 100 includes the buzz
  • toom0036
    toom0036 Posts: 11
    Family of 5, I go shopping every other week, spend around $250.00 this includes paper product and baby formula. I guess it would be around $100 to $125 every week. I do use a lot of coupons though. Have 3 kids ages 10months (doesn't eat to much at this point), 3 year old, and 8 year old. I stock up on meats when on sale. Always have fresh fruit in house and vegs, what fruits and vegs I have on hand are always changing because I only buy what's on sale or decent price.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.

Please tell me how you spend only $100 a week for a family of 4! I spend $200 a week and desperatly need to cut it down. I am at a disadvantage though that my husband cannot eat poultry of any kind. So I am buying chicken for me and beef/pork for the rest of the family. No junk food (the kids have hated me for 6 months now..lol).

Chicken, chicken, chicken. I can't imagine trying to do this w/out poultry!! I buy lots of meat that is close to the sell by so that it's cheaper. I only buy for the week, and I use coupons. I only shop sales, and I buy the basic fruits unless something is on sale. We do a lot of salads b/c it helps stretch, and it is cheaper than bags of frozen veggies. We eat a lot of leftovers, and I meal plan. Unfortunately, right now we don't buy any specialty stuff. No organics here, My kids are elementary schoolers and not teenagers, so that helps too.

When I told my sister I was going to buy produce and keep my food at $100/week, she said I couldn't do it. It's become quite the little game ;)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    4 people, $100 or less per week. I only shop the perimeter of the store. Buy whole foods and natural dye free foods in the natural isle ( snacks for kids and lunch box treats)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Two people in my house and we spend $150-$200/week on groceries and this is NOT including things like TP, paper towels etc. and no junk as we perimeter shop.
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Wow, I can't believe how little some of you spend!

We spend $130-150/week for two adults (myself and my husband). Some months we've spent $600-700! That includes everything we buy at the grocery store though (toiletries, cleaning supplies, cat litter, etc.).

I live in Canada where groceries tend to be more than you lucky people in the States :) A 1 lb bag of frozen shrimp costs $10 and 4 lb box of frozen chicken is easily $25-30 (if not on sale).

I try to buy generic store brands vs. brand names and I try to buy things on sale but it still all adds up!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    For just me, I spend at least $200 per month at the grocery store (just food) and another $100 at the produce market! Yeah, I love food!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    We're a family of 4 and averaging $100/week. There is a little "junk" but most of it is pretty healthy. Not much fish, though, since that's usually pretty pricey. Lots of chicken.

Please tell me how you spend only $100 a week for a family of 4! I spend $200 a week and desperatly need to cut it down. I am at a disadvantage though that my husband cannot eat poultry of any kind. So I am buying chicken for me and beef/pork for the rest of the family. No junk food (the kids have hated me for 6 months now..lol).

Chicken, chicken, chicken. I can't imagine trying to do this w/out poultry!! I buy lots of meat that is close to the sell by so that it's cheaper. I only buy for the week, and I use coupons. I only shop sales, and I buy the basic fruits unless something is on sale. We do a lot of salads b/c it helps stretch, and it is cheaper than bags of frozen veggies. We eat a lot of leftovers, and I meal plan. Unfortunately, right now we don't buy any specialty stuff. No organics here, My kids are elementary schoolers and not teenagers, so that helps too.

When I told my sister I was going to buy produce and keep my food at $100/week, she said I couldn't do it. It's become quite the little game ;)

I am the same. I also started a cooking group with 3 other families. We shop together and each make 4 freezer meals that that feed 16 serving, divide those into 4 serving packages and then all trade out. Our average cost each month is $110 dollars each and that nets us each 16 dinners frozen and ready to go. I then supplement with my own cooking and staples and sides to go with it, we eat out twice a month at restaurants. Average outing of $60 after tip.