Best weight loss advice you've gotten that's worked!

Options

Replies

• syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Question everything and honor your own experiences.
  • fme_fatale
    Options
    I've been eating all my meals with chopsticks lately. I find it really slows me down!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've heard so much good advce but what sticks out in my mind would have to be MFP because it has given me a wealth of knowledge.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough, lifting is awesome and more protein.
  • HardyMichelle
    HardyMichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Log / Look Up what you are about to eat or are thinking about eating before you eat it. Learn from this what is in it and then decide if you really want to eat it.

This! I have scared myself out of eating a few things this way. It's a huge eye opener. Wished I would have looked before I had the Starbucks low fat banana bread.

LOVE THIS. I had the same experience with a Panera pumpkin muffin....600 cals in there!!
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is what I need? :D I've been stuck for 4+ weeks :(
    The main one for me is taking a spike day if i hit a plateau. That day usually turns into a binge and I'm bloated the next 2 but if i stay strict after that, my lbs drop like crazy for some reason and my plateau is broken! What's the best advice you've gotten that actually works for you?
  • jmreich30
    jmreich30 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Know what your eating (calories wise) and know what your calorie burn is. I kinda got that this January and it thats when I started to click for me and started to lose lbs.

Another thing would be get out of your own head when you work out. Push it to the limit and you can do it!
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    NO EXCUSES!

Excuses don't make you feel better when you skipped your planned workout and eaten an entire bag of chips in front of the TV.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    if you have a bad meal/day...do not let it define you....get back at tracking the next day. NEVER GIVE UP! PERIOD!
  • kellymiller23
    Options
    If you fail to plan you plan to fail.

This! During the week, I try to plan everything I will eat the next day and enter it into my food diary the night before. Then I just follow my plan for the day. Makes it so easy!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    weights + less cardio + don't eat below BMR = the perfect combo for me.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    really...im kinda scared doing that!

Omg I was sooooo scared to try it but I was desperate to see a change in the scale! I was only at the same weight for 2 weeks so it wasn't a "real" plateau but I was impatient and wanted to try something new. I tried it, had a huge eating day, weighed myself the next day to see what would happen. I gained maybe 2 lbs that next day due to bloating then it dropped after 2 days then by the third day I had lost 1 lb from where I was at my plateau. Then I dropped another 2 a week later. So weird how it worked.
  • Agcunningham
    Agcunningham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you consume:happy:
  • SteamRoller72
    SteamRoller72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Best advice I've ever gotten and the best thing I've taken away from MFP Because it WORKS!

Elaborate please...
    I would never advise someone to "eat into" their exercise calories if they're attempting to lose weight overall.
    If you're maintining current weight, I get it.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    at first, it's a struggle to go to the gym.

after time, it becomes a struggle when you have to miss the gym.

totally true!! i often find myself scheduling things around my gym time.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The main one for me is taking a spike day if i hit a plateau. That day usually turns into a binge and I'm bloated the next 2 but if i stay strict after that, my lbs drop like crazy for some reason and my plateau is broken! What's the best advice you've gotten that actually works for you?

THIS!!! but it takes lots of restrain to have only ONE day of binging so it is tricky :/ Especially for a binge-eater like me!! But, yes for some reason it works like magic!!

So you've tried it also?! Damn we are twinsies haha! Glad to know it worked for you as well!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Cook your own meals and eat out less often.
  • onestepatime
    onestepatime Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you fail to plan you plan to fail.

THIS
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    1.) You cannot lose weight if you're not eating at a deficit.
    2.) You cannot gain muscle if you're not eating a surplus.
    3.) Weight loss is never linear, plateaus are a period of adjustment for your body.
    4.) Triglyceride hydrolysis requires water. If you're not drinking enough water you will not lose fat.
  • roiLEI1554
    roiLEI1554 Posts: 143
    Options
    It doesn't matter how little you eat in public if you're eating everything crap at home. It's not the appearance of weight loss that counts; it's the effort that ultimately makes the difference.