Best weight loss advice you've gotten that's worked!

Options
13»

Replies

• cphorton28
    cphorton28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ugly stuff in = ugly stuff out lol! However, All seriousness though, modify what you eat at work during the day, lower your calorie intake and have a sensible dinner. My dad gave me this advise and his dropped about 80lbs and is no longer a diabetic. Be blessed!
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Be persistent and consistent. It's not a race but a change in your whole mindset.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. Best advice I've ever gotten and the best thing I've taken away from MFP Because it WORKS!

Elaborate please...
    I would never advise someone to "eat into" their exercise calories if they're attempting to lose weight overall.
    If you're maintining current weight, I get it.
    MFP is set up that you are SUPPOSED to eat those exercise cals back. Your daily goal is at a deficit before exercise - meaning you could eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'd still lose weight. Add exercise, and you're creating an even larger deficit, generally too large, that's why they give you the cals back in your daily goal. Food is fuel!

And on that note - the info in this topic has been the absolute best FAT loss advice I've gotten that's worked: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612353-metabolism-reset-eating-at-tdee-support-thread

Started eating according to the guidelines there over a year ago and have steadily lost fat, inches and pounds without a single plateau, no stress over holidays, birthdays, dinners out, no being hungry, no being cranky - just feeling awesome and getting fit, and it's a something I can do for the rest of my life! :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you focus on scale results, you'll never see the change (dietary lifestyle); if you focus on the change (dietary lifestyle), you'll ultimately see the results on the scale and your waist line.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The main one for me is taking a spike day if i hit a plateau. That day usually turns into a binge and I'm bloated the next 2 but if i stay strict after that, my lbs drop like crazy for some reason and my plateau is broken! What's the best advice you've gotten that actually works for you?

THIS!!! but it takes lots of restrain to have only ONE day of binging so it is tricky :/ Especially for a binge-eater like me!! But, yes for some reason it works like magic!!

So you've tried it also?! Damn we are twinsies haha! Glad to know it worked for you as well!

my husband and i are VERY strict with our eating through the week.... then once saturday comes around, we take turns deciding on a specific binge 'meal' (not day!) that we've been craving for some time. so we will have it, enjoy it, maybe get a dessert after dinner as well as a drink with dinner. we bounce up a pound or two the next morning, but it's right back to strict eating, and by tuesday morning we are down a pound from where we were saturday before the meal. i started doing this after talking to a girl i know personally who lost 125lbs last year keeping with this method. it works! i've lost 25lbs so far!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been eating all my meals with chopsticks lately. I find it really slows me down!

I bet it does.....especially soup
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a little trial and error. I found I was eating too little (not eating back exercise cals) and have hit the plateau. I have now upped my cals and changed my exercise a bit and instead I average my extra calories earned over the week.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • radicalrom
    Options
    Besides counting calories, I found the low calorie density foods are awesome. Gotta love when I have chicken soup and a salad. That actually makes me feel fuller for a longer time than eating a burger that has more calories.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Eat nutritiously and within your BMR.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have 2 ... you don't need to starve to lose fat and lift weights.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    1. Be patient.
    2. Plan and log your meals before you eat them.

I haven't mastered #1 yet, but # 2 has really helped me. Before I go to bed, I log what I've planned for breakfast and lunch. It helps me see where I'm at calorie and nutrition wise, and it helps me make good choices for dinner & snacks to stay on track.
  • Charlie_Hooper
    Charlie_Hooper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8ImSkwspA

I literally used this is my basis - it's worked plus they're funny as hell so I don't mind spending 10mins or so listening to what they have to say haha

I also 'cheat' on saturdays - I still lose weight so could be good advice!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The main one for me is taking a spike day if i hit a plateau. That day usually turns into a binge and I'm bloated the next 2 but if i stay strict after that, my lbs drop like crazy for some reason and my plateau is broken! What's the best advice you've gotten that actually works for you?

THIS!!! but it takes lots of restrain to have only ONE day of binging so it is tricky :/ Especially for a binge-eater like me!! But, yes for some reason it works like magic!!

So you've tried it also?! Damn we are twinsies haha! Glad to know it worked for you as well!

I KNOW RIGHT ;) Yeah i've never intentionally done it before, but when I was really strict with my workouts and calories, then hit a plateau and eventually had a binge, ingesting much more than normal calories for the day I see myself losing the next :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    - Raspberry Ketones
    - HCG
    - Green Coffee Extract
    - Anything Dr. Oz says
    - Military Diet

oh wait, this is the best advice thread. #whoops #sarcasmfont

:laugh:
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I joined this site last year looking for all the answers thinking i could hop into 30 mins of cardio a day/cut my intake and i'd get where i'd want to be but i've learned so much from here and mainly that this is all about a lifestyle change and you need to do something you can keep up, at the beginning i thought i could cut all bad foods...now i have a completely healthy relationship with food good and bad i eat healthier obviously because i can feel the benefits and when i feel like a treat i will have it in moderation thats the important part and its difficult to overcome but can be done, i found cutting things out completely led me to binging on them later on and thus it was sort of counter-productive really,..it really is a learning experience but my best advice for now would be keep things simple for yourself, yea there is so much debate about nutrition and exercise out there but at the end of the day it is about burning more than you eat, don't be afraid to mix your exercise routine up a good bit its good for your body, drink plenty of water, eat healthy where possible but dont be afraid to treat yourself every once in a while, it helps! :)