Who in here believes with all thier heart.....

Options

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Stress doesn't "make" us eat, we "make" ourselves eat. Stress doesn't make us hold onto fat, our actions or inactions make us hold onto fat. I know stress can be a problem, or an excuse for us to over eat, but that's exactly what it is, an excuse. Finding other ways to deal with stress helps eliminate the eating because of stress. To me, it's being responsible for our actions. We can blame anything we want to blame, but it's ourselves that reaches for the piece of cake or quart of ice cream, not stress. This is just my opinion, and I'm not a Doctor but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

I don't think people are saying stress alone causes weight gain, but that it contributes. I didn't eat more because of stress. I ate less, same activity level and gained weight. With the help of therapist, I started learning how to cope with stress and my weight started to come off again. Its not always about having an excuse or blaming something else. I eat more cake and ice cream now and losing weight than I ever did while I was stressed.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Cortisol is impacted by both mental and physical stress.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Damn y'all are quick, I'm reading what you typed while I was typing.... so take my last post with a grain of salt. :)
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I am firm believer that stress inhibits weight loss. Trying to identify when you are stressed and then not acting on those impulses is the hard part.

Read this article.

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/weightgain.htm
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Only if it causes you to go to the bar and stress eat & drink over your calories.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    And what do we do when we're stressed? Yep, we hit the bar!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It is the cortisol levels that increase when stressed that helps you hang on to the weight. However, being a stress eater doesn't help. Personally, I have been in a constant state of stress since May 2012 and I have actually lost most of my weight during that time. For me, the stress was the wake up call to quit treating my body like **** and get serious about my health.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to have to look up cortisol because like many of you I've heard of it but don't really know what it is.

I like to think when people say "Oh you're stressed honey...thats why you haven't lost any weight....blah blah blah"

My personal opinion is that it's a cop out. But I'm also in a piss *kitten* mood and being incredibly hard on myself, which is funny...it's not working either. Just making me in a piss *kitten* mood.... :grumble:

When I first started, waaaay back when, I ate like 1300 calories a day and cardio'd for 2 hours a day. Lost a ton of weight. Then, my lease was expiring and I was trying to buy a house. I was also dealing with my kid's behavioral issues as a single parent, working a full-time job, going through a divorce, and going to school. Needless to say, my stress levels were elevated. In spite of that, I continued my normal diet and exercise habits. I stopped losing weight. Cortisol does impact weight loss.

Inevitably, I learned that along with my external stressors, my 1300-calorie diet was also not allowing me enough unsaturated fats. Unsaturated fats help to inhibit pesky weight-loss-interfering hormones like cortisol (there are others you should read about, i.e. grehlin, leptin, and others). I began to eat more ensuring I got those fats in. Weight loss began to move again, but it was still slow. It wasn't until the divorce was final and the house sale was closed that my weight loss really began to pick up momentum again.

If you are going through stuff and having a hard time losing, the best thing to do is say a few "Woo-sa's" and try your best to be persistent. Deal with your problems and stick it out.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I disagree with all of the above. To lazy to support this atm lol. Ill come back later.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    During periods of extreme stress, I lose weight. I know other people who gain weight when they are stressed. I think that it has more to do with what you eat than anything else. When I'm stressed it kills my appetite.

This study shows that people who have a higher cortisol reaction to stress eat more when stressed than people who don't
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453000000354

This study found that primates with chronically elevated levels of cortisol but without actual stress did not gain any statistically significant weight
    http://www.jneurosci.org/content/19/6/2356.short

These studies seem to suggest that cortisol can cause you to want to eat more (stress eating) but will not actually make you gain weight. It is purely the act of consuming too many calories that causes weight gain.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    During periods of extreme stress, I lose weight. I know other people who gain weight when they are stressed. I think that it has more to do with what you eat than anything else. When I'm stressed it kills my appetite.

This study shows that people who have a higher cortisol reaction to stress eat more when stressed than people who don't
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453000000354

This study found that primates with chronically elevated levels of cortisol but without actual stress did not gain any statistically significant weight
    http://www.jneurosci.org/content/19/6/2356.short

These studies seem to suggest that cortisol can cause you to want to eat more (stress eating) but will not actually make you gain weight. It is purely the act of consuming too many calories that causes weight gain.

Basically this...The good news is you have complete control over what goes into your mouth whether you are stressed or not.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm.........A few years ago I was diagnosed with a possible cardiac issue.........between the initial diagnosis and the testing, a period of one week, I lost 5lbs.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    stress has be linked with leaky gut syndrome - leaky gut syndrome has also been linked with weight problems

leaky gut is basically a build up of mucus in the gut this prevents the proper absorption of nutrients of our food, it can also cause peferations in the intestinal tract which causes little particles of food to get trapped, they then start to leak toxins into the body which can then attach themselves to fat cells making it hard to shift the fat cells

i'm no expert but this is what i have read
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Stress doesn't "make" us eat, we "make" ourselves eat. Stress doesn't make us hold onto fat, our actions or inactions make us hold onto fat. I know stress can be a problem, or an excuse for us to over eat, but that's exactly what it is, an excuse. Finding other ways to deal with stress helps eliminate the eating because of stress. To me, it's being responsible for our actions. We can blame anything we want to blame, but it's ourselves that reaches for the piece of cake or quart of ice cream, not stress. This is just my opinion, and I'm not a Doctor but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

hahahah @ Holiday Inn quote..lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    plus it makes it harder to poop.
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Plus I LOVE the Holiday Inn bit. LOL
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Stress takes control of everything, it can really make you sick, do great physical harm to your entire body. It can cause you to gain and cause you to lose, depending on how it triggers you.
  • MeganGable
    MeganGable Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I believe it. Reading about it now in my “health psychology” book for one of my college classes.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I also believe that messed up sleep/wake cycles can adversely affect your metabolism.
    I don't have the scientific "proof" at my fingertips right now.
    I also agree with the comments about cortisol.
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also believe that messed up sleep/wake cycles can adversely affect your metabolism.
    I don't have the scientific "proof" at my fingertips right now.
    I also agree with the comments about cortisol.

Wow, yeah, this too. I forgot how incredibly swollen I get on the morning coming off of a stressy sleepless night... So much puff I can barely move.