Healthy Salad Dressings?

Options
jessiwebb
jessiwebb Posts: 31 Member
I'm ready to kick light ranch dressing out the door... but I have no (good) recipes for salad dressing. Anyone have a good to-die-for salad dressing recipe? :)

Replies

• abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people use plain greek yogurt, milk, and ranch seasoning to make a healthier ranch dressing.
    Do you have access to a store that sells flavored olive oils or vinegars? Where I live we have a place called the olive cellar that has all that kind of stuff, the people that work there have a ton of combinations you can put together for quick, easy, healthy dressings

otherwise....You can make a balsamic vinaigrette pretty easy with EVOO, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, 2 pinches brown sugar, 1/2 t Dijon mustard.....that one is my favorite
  • mreardon614
    Options
    I use the bolt house yogurt dressings. They are around 45 calories a serving and they come in lots of flavors. Sorry no recipes though.
  • ebren056
    ebren056 Posts: 3
    Options
    If you pick up the latest issue of Food Network magazine, there is an insert with 50 homemade salad recipes. Not all of them are completely healthy, but it will give you some great ideas!

My favorite homemade dressing is simple - olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard (dijon or spicy brown) and a little garlic. Super easy and flavorful!
  • jessiwebb
    Options
    Thanks, all! These definitely give me a place to start. :D
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My favorite is lemon juice and olive oil. I used to be a ranch addict, and this is completely different, but it's really really good, and it brings out the flavors of your salad.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I really like the Kraft Fat Free Catalina
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    No recipes, but Annie's dressings are the bomb!!! They are Vegan (so you will find them in the "natural" section of your food store). They are totally healthy and delicious. I love the Green Goddess dressing. Just great on everything, even as a condiment on sandwiches.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I made this for the first time last night, and OMG, it was GREAT!!!

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon Mustard
    Dash of parsley, oregeno and pepper

It was enough for both my husband and myself, and sooooo good!!
  • AmazingRed
    AmazingRed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I stick with homemade dressing. Olive Oil, an acid, dijon mustard and onion or garlic. Whisk well with a little Salt and pepper. For my acid I use whatever compliments the salad or meal, vinegar, lemon juice, orange juice... simple and delish
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipe suggestions, but I use Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based dressings. Their Caesar Parmigiano is 25 calories per tablespoon, and around 60mg sodium.
  • jessiwebb
    Options
    No recipes, but Annie's dressings are the bomb!!! They are Vegan (so you will find them in the "natural" section of your food store). They are totally healthy and delicious. I love the Green Goddess dressing. Just great on everything, even as a condiment on sandwiches.

I just wrote down the recipe for the Greek Goddess dressing this morning - so geeked to try it!!

Thanks, everyone! All of these are exactly what I needed to kick ranch to the curb. :happy:
  • calimoma
    calimoma Posts: 64
    Options
    These recipes sound great! but i have to say im a huge fan of trader joes lite parmesan ranch and light champagne vinagrette!!! both are hella delish and low on fat and cals!!
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to make creamy avocado dressing.

1 Avocado
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2cup milk
    3cloves garlic
    Fresh cilantro
    1 juice from lemon
    Salt
    Pepper

Sometimes I add a little greek yogurt

Blend in blender. Depending on how thick you like it add more milk.
    Best dressing ever!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There are some good recipes on skinnytaste.com. I especially like the blue cheese dressing. It's yogurt based.
  • calmanza2
    calmanza2 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love my ranch, too - so it was totally difficult to kick that! :noway:
    Now I really enjoy a good fat-free raspberry vinaigrette - it has so much flavor, and so few calories! The "Ken's" brand has some really good "light" and fat-free dressings (including the raspberry). :tongue:
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people use plain greek yogurt, milk, and ranch seasoning to make a healthier ranch dressing.
    Do you have access to a store that sells flavored olive oils or vinegars? Where I live we have a place called the olive cellar that has all that kind of stuff, the people that work there have a ton of combinations you can put together for quick, easy, healthy dressings

otherwise....You can make a balsamic vinaigrette pretty easy with EVOO, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, 2 pinches brown sugar, 1/2 t Dijon mustard.....that one is my favorite
    ^^ MMMMMmmm. I need a "save" button on here for great recipes. That sounds great!
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I made this for the first time last night, and OMG, it was GREAT!!!

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
    2 tsp Dijon Mustard
    Dash of parsley, oregeno and pepper

It was enough for both my husband and myself, and sooooo good!!
    ^^^THIS! I actually used horseradish mustard for more tang and it was AWESOME!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Salsa
  • Chrisgriff32
    Chrisgriff32 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also suggest Bolthouse Dressings! They are full flavor dressings made with yogurt that are all low in calories! Sooo good!